Cherry (read Feejer) went to the clinic for an operation.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taff

Reaction score
Last month “Cherry” admitted to me that she was not too well in the handling department, so I decided to seek some advice for her. I was worried about her future prognosis should the current situation remain, without a more robust way for her to enjoy countless oscillations.

As luck would have it, I found a web site that dealt with various problems pertaining to her build and quirks (read Fjrforum.com) that led me to a Clinic near Portland, Or.

The consultant (Read “Warchild”) put together a package (Read GB) so that “Cherry” could handle all of the rigors of her problematic oscillations for the rest of her life!

So off we go to the Clinic, (“Cherry” was very apprehensive at this thought) where I was greeted by Professor Dave and Doctor Ben, who would prepare “Cherry” for her operation.

“Shocking” as it was, the operation was quite painless and in no time at all I was re-united with Cherry, whose stature was surprisingly “more upright” than the “squat” she used to have.

We said our goodbyes and departed for home, Cherry now has a “new lease of life” with more controlled oscillations!

Seriously folks, big thanks to Warchild for setting up this group buy and to Dave and Ben at GP Suspension for their hard work in “getting it absolutely perfect”.

Worth every penny for such great time learning about proper suspension set up!

Ride safe peeps,

Did you have the forks done and the shock replaced, or just the front?

I just finished installing my forks last night that I got back from GP, as soon as the snow is of the streets I'll give it a try.

My 07' has about 6500 miles and Ben from GP had to replace a set of bushings and seals, as they had already gone beyond specs.

And I would like to extend my thanks as well to WarChild for setting up this GB.

I finally was able to test my bike with the GP fork rebuild & Penske 8983 shock last weekend, rode about 70 mi's, temp upper 20's lower 30's. Even thou it was cold I could notice a great difference in the ride and handling of the bike. Thanks again to Dave and all the guys at GP for the great service and products, and thanks again to Warchild for putting this group but together. Now if it would just warm up I could see what this baby will really do.

Did you have the forks done and the shock replaced, or just the front?
I just finished installing my forks last night that I got back from GP, as soon as the snow is of the streets I'll give it a try.

My 07' has about 6500 miles and Ben from GP had to replace a set of bushings and seals, as they had already gone beyond specs.

And I would like to extend my thanks as well to WarChild for setting up this GB.
Both the front and rear suspension was replaced.

You mentioned that your bushings (top I take it) had worn, same for me! Dave told me he has a decent idea why that top bushing goes so early.

My bike has nearly 12,000 miles on the odometer since new (bought 29th May 07) so this did make me think that the Yamaha spec for the front fork casings may not be consistent in production.

Anyway, well worth the upgrade as this is now a new bike altogether.

Ride Safe,

Dave at GP replaced the worn bushing on my 05 that has 15000 mi's, they were slightly worn so he put in a new set. Dave said the gen II forks have 2 bushings in each leg and he commented that all of the genII forks he's done had worn bushing and needed replaced no matter the mi's. he thought it might be a design flaw, who knows?

I rode up to Oregon on Wednesday and had the work done on Thursday. Dave and Ben are great guys.

Front end definitely feels more "planted". Not sure how else to describe that feeling. The rear may be a little stiff for me at the moment, I got bounced out of the seat a couple of times on some road bumps so I'll probably have to make a few adjustments there.

I came home at night so I wasn't pushing the pace on the mountain roads; it's hard to see the lanes with lights from on coming traffic in your eyes. :blink:

I didn't take any pictures during the process (I feel weird taking pics of other people doing their job), but here are a few after pics.

Edit: My bushings were worn as well (23k miles).

DSCN0330.jpg

Only visible change here is the GP sticker.

DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0331.jpg

Here is a shot of the adjuster. The "hard/soft" lever is gone.

DSCN0333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Germany,

I have a new penske shock also that I got torwards the end of the season last September, mine looks a little different, I can't remember the model number but it's the triple clicker. I got bounced out of my seat too when the shock was brand new, but after 300 miles or so it seems to be softening up a tad.

I would say give it a few miles before you start fine tuning the dampening and such.

Just an idea.....

I rode up to Oregon on Wednesday and had the work done on Thursday. Dave and Ben are great guys.
Front end definitely feels more "planted". Not sure how else to describe that feeling. The rear may be a little stiff for me at the moment, I got bounced out of the seat a couple of times on some road bumps so I'll probably have to make a few adjustments there.

I came home at night so I wasn't pushing the pace on the mountain roads; it's hard to see the lanes with lights from on coming traffic in your eyes. :blink:

I didn't take any pictures during the process (I feel weird taking pics of other people doing their job), but here are a few after pics.

Edit: My bushings were worn as well (23k miles).

DSCN0330.jpg

Only visible change here is the GP sticker.

DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0331.jpg

Here is a shot of the adjuster. The "hard/soft" lever is gone.

DSCN0333.jpg
Dave and Ben said that you were on your way up, pity we could not have met in person.

How do you like the set up now?

Glad you arrived safely home as I raised my concern at the mountain passes for your intended route up to GP suspension.

Ride safe,

The front is good so far (I need a new front tire though as it is cupped pretty badly). Rear is a little stiff, but I'm going to give it some time to break in as Lake Powell suggested. Unfortunately, she is going to be out of commission for a bit while I get the engine tick fixed.

How do you like your set up?

When I left the shop around 1 o'clock Thursday, there was a very light rain/snow coming down which had me concerned but it stopped about 30 miles south. Once I got into southern Oregon, the skies were clear and the passes were uneventful.

The front is good so far (I need a new front tire though as it is cupped pretty badly). Rear is a little stiff, but I'm going to give it some time to break in as Lake Powell suggested. Unfortunately, she is going to be out of commission for a bit while I get the engine tick fixed.
How do you like your set up?

When I left the shop around 1 o'clock Thursday, there was a very light rain/snow coming down which had me concerned but it stopped about 30 miles south. Once I got into southern Oregon, the skies were clear and the passes were uneventful.
I like the set up now rather than stock because the bike is much more "planted" on the front end.

The rear, as Lake Powell suggested, will "settle" down as time goes on.

Also, with the ambient temperatures as they are at the moment, the suspension will feel much more different than that of a standard atmosphere day (15 degress C, 1013.2 mb or 29.92 inches mercury).

Ride safe,

Germany,
I have a new penske shock also that I got torwards the end of the season last September, mine looks a little different, I can't remember the model number but it's the triple clicker. I got bounced out of my seat too when the shock was brand new, but after 300 miles or so it seems to be softening up a tad.

I would say give it a few miles before you start fine tuning the dampening and such.

Just an idea.....

Unless I miss my guess that is a double clicker. Missing the High Speed Dampening adjustment on it. The penske double is supposed to be a very fine shock indeed ! ! !