cleaning windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After washing with copious amounts of soap and water I follow up with a plastic cleaner. The product is Meguiars PLASTX. This stuff works really well.

100% cotton, lint free cloth towel and glass cleaner for the first pass. 2nd pass is glass cleaner and microfiber towel. If bugs are really old or baked on, wet warm towel so soak them for awhile as others have said.

Use the same process to clean my helmet shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use nothing but a generous amount of soap and water with a car wash glove. Works for me.
SR

-------------------------

I use the same to clean the faceshield on my HJC Helmet. Works Great...
+1 - just have to be sure you don't have any crap on the glove

Good info on all the cleaning tips.

Here's my add: Once a year, I remove the screen and polish it with my Sears orbital polisher and some Meguires Scratch-X. I give it a good 4-5 minutes on each side. All fine scratches are gone and you will find yourself back to a crystal clear sheild.

I have found that even when using the most careful way of cleaning, fine swirl marks and scratches are inevitable. Once a year, I start fresh.

Enjoy.

Scratching is one problem; solvent damage is another.

The wet towel is a good way to soften the splatter. Gentle soap and water can do the rest. 50-50 white vinegar is good for cutting grease and I use it to clean all my polycarbonate shields.

Stay away from ammonia, Windex and strong solvents. They can damage polycarbonate shields and silane coatings -- like on V-Stream.

Uncoated polycarboante can tolerate mineral spirits & lighter fluid and even a little alcohol. That's why you can use Rain-X and Fog-X in limited quantities of you keep the duration of wetness down -- even though it is said you can't. Vaseline ought to soften up a particularly recalcitrant item if you let it sit.

I have a table off the web of what attacks polycarbonate if anyone wants to see it.

Ken C

You guys wash your bike and windshields? When you have time to ride?

"Next Up on the Old Fart's Forum: How to polish your vag without leaving swirl marks."

Okay, odot, the ball's in your court!

Last edited by a moderator:
This stuff really does a good job and will not harm your windshield.....

Aero 600 Avionic Cleaner

https://www.skygeek.com/aero-600-avionics-cleaner.html

and I keep a coat of RejeX on my bike as well as cars. Bugs will just hose off. Some of the best protective coating for the money...I put in on windsheild, headlights and if you have polished alloy wheels it will make brake dust just blow off with air.

RejeX was originally developed for the Air Force to keep turbine exhaust gas residue from sticking to aircraft...

https://www.skygeek.com/61002.html

I use a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide solution, with a spritzer spray nozzle screwed onto the bottle. I buy 2 quarts of the stuff at Sam's Club for around a buck.
HydPeroxide.jpg

Spritz the Hydrogen Peroxide onto the windshield, and anywhere else that bugs have splattered onto, and they magically start fizzing and dissolve. After a minute or two, wipe off the dissolved bugs and road grime with a soft cotton towel.

The solution (H2O2) is essentially oxygenated water. It causes any organic matter to release the oxygen and thus fiz.

I'm not a chemist, but I play one on the internet.

Works great.

....The solution (H2O2) is essentially oxygenated water. It causes any organic matter to release the oxygen and thus fiz.

Works great...

I can tell, cause this is phony science

Alfred

Human saliva contains enzymes that break down organic matter..
so the safest way to remove bug parts off your windshield without scratching it is to lick them off..

(always in a up and down motion as Ashe mentioned of course)

I guess toliet paper is out of the question with you.

KM

I use a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide solution, with a spritzer spray nozzle screwed onto the bottle. I buy 2 quarts of the stuff at Sam's Club for around a buck.
HydPeroxide.jpg

Spritz the Hydrogen Peroxide onto the windshield, and anywhere else that bugs have splattered onto, and they magically start fizzing and dissolve. After a minute or two, wipe off the dissolved bugs and road grime with a soft cotton towel.

The solution (H2O2) is essentially oxygenated water. It causes any organic matter to release the oxygen and thus fiz.

Works great.

....The solution (H2O2) is essentially oxygenated water. It causes any organic matter to release the oxygen and thus fiz.

Works great...
You be right there my man! HP works Grrrreaaatt, but doesn't smell good! Actually, it smells like....!

Been using Maguire's Tech Wax and then soap and water with one of those car wash gloves as mentioned before. I had an older gentleman come up while I was washing those criters off and suggest baking soda/water. He said, think about it... what are those bugs made mostly of...acid. Hadn't tried it yet, but sounds like something easy to throw in the water bucket and makes sense.

This may sound like a stupid question but how do you guys clean the windshield without Scratching it. I have an 07, the 08 are supposed to resist Scratching. I have a lot of bug splaterings.
- - - Cover the shield with a big ole towel and keep it wet as long as you like. They will come-off easy after that.

- - - Keep a can of Powerhouse furniture polish from Dollar Tree and a micro fiber towel in your bags and get all

bugs and or dirt off of your bike/shield as soon/fast as you like. Pledge can be used too but atta much higher cost

As for history, I have used this method of cleaning my bike and shield(s) for about 200,000 miles on three different bikes. Nuff Said!

The hydrogen peroxide is the best way to go. The fresher the bugs, the better the fizzing and ease of removal. I make a habit of spraying the front of the bike and the helmet faceshield when I get back from each ride.