Cleaning your bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger55

Reaction score
First of all, I HATE detailing vehicles (or just about anything). It has been years since I waxed a car. I just got home from my first "long" ride, out to Wyoming and back (about 2500 miles). The first order of business was to clean the bike. Below is a picture of some cleaning supplies. I have using a small hose end garden sprayer with some car wash soap. Seems to do a pretty good job. Pretty small focused spray. I then use my old electric leaf blower (I saw a similar blower in a motorcycle magazine). Then the hand work, spray on wax and the micro fiber cloth. Any other ideas out there? Tomorrow chore, change the oil. Anyone want to recommend a good oil... oh, I didn't say that. :banghead:

DSC01363.jpg

Roger55

Never, ever, ever, ever, place a microfiber cloth on the ground prior to using it for polishing anything. The chance that it will pick up a few grains of sand or other debris is too great. A tiny amount of abrasive material will ruin the finish in a moment. In fact if you drop a microfiber cloth while polishing, get another before continuing. The polish on the cloth will likely attract even more debris.

Bob

I've never used water, soap, or wax to clean the FJR. I use a waterless cleaner that is quick and easy to use; spray it on, wipe off dirt, bugs, etc., and then polish. And it doesn't scratch the finish or the windshield so no swirl marks.

Hey, you asked...

I used to win a lot of bike shows "back in the day". I learned from those who were winning around me. These things work for the bike and the car. They don't leave films behind and don't require multiple buffing sessions like Plexus and some others do[1]. I use a thick pile terry cloth towel for cleaning. The long nap helps protect the paint. I rinse the bike well before washing. I lay a wet towel over the crusty bits to soften them first then rinse and repeat until the bugs and crust rinse off without "scrubbing". By the time I get to the washing part, a lot is already clean. I swap to new towels frequently (for the same reason Bob pointed out). I then go from top to bottom so the road grime on the underneath bits doesn't get on anything and scratch the more visible bits.

I personally avoid using any fabric softener when washing these terry towels. I find that they fill up with the softener and seem less able to absorb water than if simply washed and dried without softener.

Once rinsed, and washed, and rinsed again, I dry (more clean, deep pile terry towels) I then detail with these:

Lexol cleaner and conditioner on the leather Russell

https://www.lexol.com/Category_leather.aspx

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #17, #10, and #18 (for touch ups) for clear plastic on the windshield, face shield, and headlights

https://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Professional%20%28Mirror%20Glaze%20Brand%29%3EClear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=34101

Mother's Back to Black plastic conditioner for the black bits of plastic (excluding the leather seat)

https://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html (won't yellow or lead to accelerated aging like ArmorAll or Son Of A Gun do)

Flitz on the chrome bits (and wheel rims)

https://www.flitz.com/p-16-flitz-polish-paste.aspx

I also recently found out about Rejex and have been really happy with it on the painted parts.

https://www.rejex.com/

[1] I find that a face shield cleaned with plexus later gets hazy and needs another buffing to clear it up. That means everything else cleaned with it does the same thing but might not be noticed since you're not forced to look through it. The things I've gravitated to over the years don't leave hazy films behind when dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those had just been used and are going into the wash.

Roger55

Never, ever, ever, ever, place a microfiber cloth on the ground prior to using it for polishing anything. The chance that it will pick up a few grains of sand or other debris is too great. A tiny amount of abrasive material will ruin the finish in a moment. In fact if you drop a microfiber cloth while polishing, get another before continuing. The polish on the cloth will likely attract even more debris.

Bob

Been using the electric blower for several years on cars and bikes. I shortened the blower tube to make it easier to maneuver around the car/bike. I used a butane torch to soften and smooth the cut end to prevent a rough edge if I ever accidentally touched the surface being dried. You'll never get all the water off just using towels. Definitely lessens the dried water streaks you end up with after washing and riding.

What is this 'cleaning' you speak of?...
No kidding. I use some Dawn and my hand to get the bugs off the windshield & headlights, rinsing occasionally with a garden hose. I raise the windshield. wash inside, then blot dry with paper towels. I spray windshield and headlights with Plexus, wipe off with the microfiber towel, and I'm done.

I ruined my first car trying to wax it, so I've never waxed or washed a vehicle since. Every time I post pics of my bike, people say "haven't you ever washed that thing??"

Wimps.

I ride my FJR through the car wash.

Cleans the bike, helmet and gear, all at once.

You should try it!

First you get yourself a bucket. You fills it with dishwashing detergent and some hot water. Then you go out and spray the bike down with a hose. Then you slosh the soapy water around on the bike with a big sponge for a few minutes. You rinse it off, dry off a few bits here and there with a towel, and call it a day. 20 minutes tops.

First you get yourself a bucket. You fills it with dishwashing detergent and some hot water. Then you go out and spray the bike down with a hose. Then you slosh the soapy water around on the bike with a big sponge for a few minutes. You rinse it off, dry off a few bits here and there with a towel, and call it a day. 20 minutes tops. Ya ain't washin' a piano.

First you get yourself a bucket. You fills it with dishwashing detergent and some hot water. Then you go out and spray the bike down with a hose. Then you slosh the soapy water around on the bike with a big sponge for a few minutes. You rinse it off, dry off a few bits here and there with a towel, and call it a day. 20 minutes tops.

First you get yourself a bucket. You fills it with dishwashing detergent and some hot water. Then you go out and spray the bike down with a hose. Then you slosh the soapy water around on the bike with a big sponge for a few minutes. You rinse it off, dry off a few bits here and there with a towel, and call it a day. 20 minutes tops. Ya ain't washin' a piano.
Some (most? all?) dishwashing liquids will strip the bike of any wax or polish that's on there. I know Dawn definitely does this...and very well, I might add. I use it on new vehicles I acquire to get rid of anything that may have been there before, then I can put a good base of my own polish of choice down.

I commute into DC so the forecast and my wash schedule are set in stone for the summer. Every day the forecast is hot and humid with 30-50% chance of afternoon/evening thunderstorms. The bike and I get rinsed about a third to half of my rides home.

I use a product called Bike Brute and it works very nicely. Spray in and rinse. To rinse I use one of those pump up weed sprayers filled with warm water. Water only goes where I want it and its not at a high pressure. To dry I use a microfiber towel and a spin around the block.

Latest posts