Clearwater Sevina and Erica - Naomi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Forums:
Jewlery for Naomi

Thinking of running a pair of Sevina's on the Canyon Cages but.

• DeltasNot sure how how far out they would extend
  • Not sure if backlight, scatter, would get back into the cockpit
  • A tip over becomes more expensive
  • Current draw Sevias = 10 amps, Ericas = 8.6 amps at 14 vdc. That's alot of current draw. 130 Watts.
  • Add another 90 watts of heated jacket
  • Add another 45 watts of heated glove
  • Misc stuff - running, turn signals, brakes = what, another 5 watts?
  • Headlights = 120 watts
  • Total consumed watts = 130 + 90 + 45 + 5 + 120 = 390 watts
  • OEM total watts = 590
  • OEM 590 - used 390 = 200 watts spare
  • ... is 200 watts enough margin?

[*]​PROS
[*]​Sevina's have better throw down the road, produce 7,500 lumen compared to 6,000 ofor Erica's.
[*]Sevina current draw for 1,500 extra lumens is only 1.4 additional amps
The Sevinas attach to the tob tube of the Canyon Cage.

Sevinas' are 4.7 inches in diameter meaning with bracket they will stick out about, what, 6 inches?

What do you think?

Keep in mind that the majority of the time you will be running the auxiliary lights at 50% or less. Also, your jacket and gloves may draw 135 watts at 100% on but they are not likely to be on more than 25% or so unless it is really cold. The only time you will have an issue is full lights at night in winter...

You can save another 50 or more watts by changing your headlights to LED. There was a fairly recent thread that identified some reasonably priced candidates.

Personally, I don't like the look of big honkin' lights hanging off a bike like the FJR - maybe on a KLR or something... The smaller diameter reflectors still throw good light.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're too darn big, as in 'them things sure are ugly'.

A bunch of riders in the Iron Butt Rally had a mixture of Clearwaters. Some ran four lights (two big 'uns and two littler ones), some just two. Some ran them on the fairing, some on the canyon cages.

I don't think you are going to have any trouble with them sucking too much power. All you have to do is ignore how ugly they are, and be strong when people tell you that you must be trying to compensate for some personal shortcoming.

Back in WW2 there was a saying about airplanes - "If it works it's beautiful".

Think you'd get better lighting performance mounted higher on the bike DC. But I gotta agree with above...too big for mounting on the cages or anywhere else.

FWIW!

--G

You boys is hurting my feeling.

1656038_10152273091694628_397400178_n.jpg

14409491_10154566207739628_6602812165968768157_o.jpg

The Sevinas mounted that low will have major glare on the road, which will kill your distance vision, IMHO.