NAOMI - ClearWater Lights Final Install Sevina, Erica

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2018-06-04 Aux Lighting Final Install (hopefully!)

2018-06-04 Aux Lighting Final Install

The original bracket modification proved inadequate. The screw securing the lower bracket to inner panel plastic simply stripped the threads. So Plan B.

Kurt at Kal OffRoad Racing did the work. I reccomend him, he does excellent work.

The under-mirror bracket needed re-enforcement so the aluminum piece was added. It attaches to to the sub-frame, a pretty beefy metal area.

The tricky part is getting the angles correct for a good fit.

If it breaks now, it will be big money for either a new subframe or removing the OEM piece and beefing that up. That's what I did on KrZy8, a 2006 FJR.

Close up.

Big Sevina's on the top side.

No rubbing on the fairing..

Clean install.

RHS close up. On top are 'furniture' bolts with machined spacers to keep the assembly tight. Pink LocTite and index marked for visual signs of loosening.

RHS cowling interface.

Close up.

Erica's on the bottom with custom brackets.

No, I'm not worried about brake failures just because a light weight light is attached to the caliper.

Wiring routing.

There Naomi is, ready to rock.

The end, for now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Anxious to see a night time shot of just how much light those things are going to throw!

What's the windshield? And what's on the top of it?

Most people find the Ericas really bright. Nobody has ever questioned if the Sevinas were bright enough for any application.

But BOTH?

Is the object merely to illuminate the forest critters from four miles away or are you trying to incinerate them where they stand?

All kidding aside, you may be close to a record for the number of lumens projected but safety at night shouldn't be an issue.

One word of caution...

I assume that these are at some (very dim) preset with low beams and blast to 100% with high? Obviously, these would totally blind an oncoming driver if activated. The problem you may encounter is loss of night vision. You may find that you can't see much of anything if you go from full bright to the dim (or off) preset. You might also find that the reflection from highway signs are bothersome. Nothing to say that they have to be run at full but why have them otherwise?

Hope that the brackets and mounting can survive many passages over the trail to the Hondarosa!

If the top Clearwater lights are setup like mine, the bottom lights are on all of the time. The top lights have a off/on switch. One knob handles the % of brightness for both lights. I have mine set for 20% on dim and 100% on bright.

I have Ericas up top and Glendas with amber lenses on the forks. The Glendas are always on at whatever brightness I have dialed in (to 100% with the horn), not affected by high beam. The Ericas are switched on/off at whatever intensity (usually minimum) is dialed in. They go to 100% with high beam.

These are set up slightly differently. Both sets have separate on/off switch. Didn't want the Ericas (lower) on all the time.. Too much current draw if attempting to start engine with slightly low battery voltage due to some doofus leaving the key in or whatever.. :whistle:

After that, all is the same as you describe above. Dimmer 20 - 80%. Hi beam switch = 100%.

And Ross is right. 100% at night too much if all on. The key is... running at say 30% the light pattern is sooo much better; coverage is complete. 100% only for running long dark straight roads at night. :lol:

What, no red rear facing Glendas for aux. running/brake lighting?

No flashing wheel spoke lights front and rear?

What about the revolving amber beacon on top of the helmet? I mean, you got to be SEEN at night - right?

You aint finished yet.

Brodie

🤪

In all seriousness, think about amber lenses on the lower Ericas, it will tone down the harshness of the high kelvin output light - less stressful seeing.

And with the lower lighting being amber, it screams out MOTORCYCLE, instead of just another car with lots of lights.

Also think about putting the circuit on a switched on after engine starts relay set up.

Now Go Run The Wheels Off The Bike! Heaven knows the tire manufacturers need our business.

Brodie

👍

". . . with the lower lighting being amber, it screams out MOTORCYCLE, instead of just another car with lots of lights."
Personally, I'd rather they thought I was a car coming at them than a motorcycle. Cars hurt more than motorcycles when they hit you.

Don, I think you should consider adding one or two of these as well--

searchlight_675.jpg

So DC, you going with the old adage...some is good more is better?

Pops had a nice set-up, yours definitely tops it. Noice!.

~G

You and John Mccain could land a 747 at O'hare during a full on blizzard!

Nice set up, Don would be stoked to see how Naomi is dressed for the ball.......

Good Lord! Can't have enough freaking lumens eh?

Why didn't you use the Clearwater brackets?

I have not, yet. Then again, I'm very careful to dim prior to oncoming traffic. If in curves, I kill the top set as an approaching unseen car can close the gap prior to me responding to kill the lights.

In all seriousness, think about amber lenses on the lower Ericas, it will tone down the harshness of the high kelvin output light - less stressful seeing.
And with the lower lighting being amber, it screams out MOTORCYCLE, instead of just another car with lots of lights.

Also think about putting the circuit on a switched on after engine starts relay set up.

Now Go Run The Wheels Off The Bike! Heaven knows the tire manufacturers need our business.

Brodie
It doesn't look like ClearWater carries amber anymore.. but i did order yellow for both sets.. Tx for good idea and for help emptying my wallet. :rofl:

Good Lord! Can't have enough freaking lumens eh?
Why didn't you use the Clearwater brackets?
The top brackets are ClearWater. The bottom brackets for the Erica's were custom made as Clearwater doesn't provide any product for mounting them in that location, on the brake caliper bolts.

Clearwater should have an amber disk that mounts in place of the clear one beneath the bezel. However, they may only offer it for the smaller diameter lights. Thats what I have installed on my fork lights.

If you ask them they may make up a large dia. pair of amber lenses for your Ericas.

Brodie

🙂

For some reason multi quote not working..

juniorfjr - Naomi be my out of town LD gurlll now!

Brodie - too late, LOL. Ordered the Yellers this morning and they've already been shipped!