Club Racing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was dared to do a trackday some time ago. It is by far the most incredible time I've ever had. After pushing my "OLDE" fj1200 way beyond what the olde girl deserved, my instructor highly suggested that maybe I roll it back a little before I wreck her. I took his advice and finished the last 2 session in the afternoon and walked away "HOOKED" This year coming up will be my 3rd year and I'm hoping to maybe get my times down to where they'll give me my race license. Thats a pretty big Hoping because I'm still pretty slow compared to many of the younger riders. I did buy a SV650 last season that was already set up for racing and have been having a ball ever since. I'm in the Cleveland,Ohio area and ride mostly at Nelson Ledges Race Car Course.Rode Mid-Ohio last year with some friends unbelievable experience, I'd recommend giving it a try if you have a Track near you. Beaver Run in PA. is probably the most technical track I've ridden, In closing I will add that it does get pretty expensive what with fees and tires and gear but if you want the experience of a life time there are some tracks that will rent you the entire set up and all, bike, leathers helmet, the whole sha bang. IMHO if you don't try it out at least put it on your Bucket List for something to do. For what it's worth I'll be 61 this summer and as long as I can still hike my legs up on the rearsets I'll be going for it!

Is it Spring Yet?

#65 Dave
I'm with you brother. I've been doing track days for 12 years now. I'm now 54 and plan on doing them for as long as possible as well. The feeling is like no other. I have the best of both worlds, a FJR and a VTR. Yes put it in your bucket list. Start at the level you are comfortable with and go from there. The experience you gain on the track will serve you well on the road.

Unfortunately I got started late, but trying doubly hard to catch up. Are Round 2 starts on May 12 - 14th with an all day trackday on Mon. the 15th. I'll be out of town over the weekend but will make the Mon. event. My son bought a CBR 1000 RR last fall [like he can really ride such a powerful bike] but we're going to do Father - Son Trackday. What do you think? I'm really looking forward to it.

Ride Safely #65 Dave

Geeeee Wizzzz!!!!!!! Checked the weather for this upcoming weekend and they have rain all 3 days. Wish I had a set of rain tires for my SV but as a rule I don't run in the rain. SOOOOOO probably blow off Round 2 and do the Father - Son thing in June. Post up if your Racing or doing Trackdays?

Ride Safely

#65 Dave

Wow!!!!!!! Was sloppy all weekend, had probably 1" of rain each day and closed the weekend Sun. afternoon because of rain, lots of get off's with guy's trying to run on DOT's, big mistake. Looks like I'm the only guy posting up race results so if nobody chimes in I'll probably let this thread die. To bad racing is so much fun, just like my "FJR" fun but different. Ride Safely This Season and see some of you guy's and gal's at EOM this fall.

#65 Dave

Round 3 is coming up this weekend. Weather is supposed to be spectacular 89 and sunny. Got the SV all loaded up and now its just waiting for the weekend. Anybody out there care or am I typing this for my own benefit, ant way have a great summer and keep the rubber side down.

#65 Dave

Hey Dave, how did the racing go? You should post up some pictures!! I rode at VIR last weekend - just trackdays, not racing!!! Damned hot in the leathers except when you were actually riding.

JON_1625.jpg

I rode out to Nelson Ledges Road Course to see Dave and his brother Ray on Saturday June 4...it was hot as hell, but lots of fun.

Those old guys can ride.