Clutch Gone 13,400 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fubar

FUBAR
Reaction score
Got the ignition recall work performed at my local dealer last week and on the ride home I went to pass a car and noticed the clutch was slipping. The dealer I had left was already closed so I returned the next morning before they opened. The head mechanic pulled in shortly after I arrived and when I told him the problem he took my bike for a quick ride and said, "the clutch sure is slipping". This was on a Thursday when I dropped it off. On Saturday I called back to see what was being done I found out that the fiber on the the clutch plates was completely gone. Pretty much metal to metal. I'm 57 yrs old and have riden for more than 35yrs. I've outgrown the need to abuse anything I own. Hell, my Wife says I take better care of the bike than her... Back to the story; The mechanic says he has never seen a clutch that bad. He said the pickup for the oil in the oil pan was covered with clutch fibers. Yamaha recommends a complete engine tear down to access any damage that may have been cause by the oil restriction cause by the fibers on the screen when this occurs. The FJR is an 07 that I bought new in 08. It has not been a year since I purchased the bike but the dealer said because it's a "wearable" item it may not be covered under the warranty. I could understand if I had 100,000 miles on the bike and I abused it. I would say a defect must be present for such wear in this amount of time. The dealer is supposed to call Yamaha today and see if they will stand behind their product. If they don't I may be in for a fight. Does anyone on the forum have any contacts that I could call should Yamaha decide it's not going to pay for the repairs? Any help would be appreciated.

Don

Got the ignition recall work performed at my local dealer last week and on the ride home I went to pass a car and noticed the clutch was slipping. The dealer I had left was already closed so I returned the next morning before they opened. The head mechanic pulled in shortly after I arrived and when I told him the problem he took my bike for a quick ride and said, "the clutch sure is slipping". This was on a Thursday when I dropped it off. On Saturday I called back to see what was being done I found out that the fiber on the the clutch plates was completely gone. Pretty much metal to metal. I'm 57 yrs old and have riden for more than 35yrs. I've outgrown the need to abuse anything I own. Hell, my Wife says I take better care of the bike than her... Back to the story; The mechanic says he has never seen a clutch that bad. He said the pickup for the oil in the oil pan was covered with clutch fibers. Yamaha recommends a complete engine tear down to access any damage that may have been cause by the oil restriction cause by the fibers on the screen when this occurs. The FJR is an 07 that I bought new in 08. It has not been a year since I purchased the bike but the dealer said because it's a "wearable" item it may not be covered under the warranty. I could understand if I had 100,000 miles on the bike and I abused it. I would say a defect must be present for such wear in this amount of time. The dealer is supposed to call Yamaha today and see if they will stand behind their product. If they don't I may be in for a fight. Does anyone on the forum have any contacts that I could call should Yamaha decide it's not going to pay for the repairs? Any help would be appreciated.Don

I would ask them to reread your warranty coverage. A clutch failure should not be excluded. The exclusion clause says: Breakdown or Mechanical Breakdown does not include the gradual reduction in operating performance caused by wear and tear where a failure has not occurred. I think that clearly a "failure" has occurred. There is nothing normal wear related about a clutch fragging at such low mileage.

I also find it extremely erm... coincidental that the clutch was working Okee dokey when you brought it in to them to have the warranty work done, yet when you got it back the clutch was slipping. Is there any evidence of the bike being ridden much by the shoptards? Maybe a few drag launches to see what one of those FJR1300's will do? I'd do my best to check the odometer readings from drop off to pick up and see if this is a possibility.

Again, sorry to hear of your predicament. Not to keep asking the same question, but on the other Forum I asked if the mechanics noted the level of clutch plate lubrication present when they tore down the clutch. If it was wet with oil, them maybe it was sufficiently lubed to prevent excessive wear. If not, and was assembled dry as many apparently are/were, then an early premature wear pattern and a tendency for part failure may have been established. Yamaha's SM recommends oiling the plates upon assembly. Yamaha apparently did not do that on my '08, and many others of recent vintage as well. Clutch grabbing, hard shifting, and premature wear and part failure may be the result. I'd ask to see the worn parts if you've not already done so and verify their condition.

I'd push it from that aspect, as Yamaha knows very well that they have paid Dealers to properly lube the clutch pack for several customers via warranty work for poor ops issues.

And Fred's question about the power test by a Dealer rider after maintenance is valid.

Best of luck with the problem.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't talked with the head mechanic face to face yet. I will call them later and find out if they have talked with Yamaha as they said they would. I'm not a patient person and expect answers one way or the other soon. If I don't get anywhere with the mechanic and I believe I will, then I'll talk to the owner of the dealership. As I stated above, if anyone has connections, or contacts, or just people they have dealt with before from Yamaha... I may need to speak to them if I don't get compensation. Those items that were mentioned above about Yamaha paying the dealers to lube the clutch.. where would I find documentation on this?

Those items that were mentioned above about Yamaha paying the dealers to lube the clutch.. where would I find documentation on this?
Ask here as you've done, and do a search for previous threads regarding clutch problems. I've read several posts on this Forum that indicated their Dealer lubed the clutch pack upon owner request and via Yamaha ok for a fix to rough operation and poor shifting. Also, Yamaha should have records to that effect on how may reimbursements they have previously made.

Gary in Fairbanks

Shoulda bought an AE...... :rolleyes:
-fuck-

lemme see...are you saying the AE has NO clutch plates? :blink:
No no! It's just that the plates are constantly checked and lubricated by the same 100 little Japanese guys in there doing their 100 calculations per second for controling the clutch engagement. At least that's what the dealer told me! :p

Well the good news is that in the past Yammy has stood behind their stuff in the end. Not to say that there haven't been some tense times, but generally it has worked out. Good luck!

That's not nice.
Good luck but I'm confident with that kind of mileage Yamaha should respond positively.

Shoulda bought an AE...... :rolleyes:
I'm hopeing your correct. I talked with the dealership owner just a little while ago. He said he's been with Yamaha for 40 years and will defend them. I guess they must take care of their dealers anyway. We will see how Yamaha takes care of it's customers. If they do stand behind us, I will post up how good they are. But on the same hand if they suck I will also say that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck...sending good karma ya way

Bad enough ya stressed, feel hassle, and don't have ya bike in good riding season time

It'll be OK if past experience with Yammy is any indication, just takes some perseverience and persuation, sometimes

Mike in Nawlins'

It's been my understanding that these clutches were damned near bullet proof...

Have you done any trips to the drag strip?

Update on my FJR. Yamaha will not pay for any repairs. None, Nada! I spoke directly with them and could not even begin to sway them to my side. I have got to pay the total repair bill. Yamaha customer support is the worst.

Update on my FJR. Yamaha will not pay for any repairs. None, Nada! I spoke directly with them and could not even begin to sway them to my side. I have got to pay the total repair bill. Yamaha customer support is the worst.

Ouch...I have to say I am disappointed in them. :angry:

Fubar,

I have been in your shoes. Call Yamaha Dealership or Yamaha Customer Service and ask who the Regional Technical Service Rep is for your area. Then I would call and make an appointment to meet with him/her to discuss your situation in person where your bike is.

I have done this with positive results. Be deligent but not obnoxious and sure you will fare well.