clutch slips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't DO that!!!

Okay, give us some more symptoms. Was the bike parked for any length of time? Have you changed brands of oit? Are you using automobile oil with friction modifiers (High mileage oil?) That has been rumored to coat the clutch plates and let them slip (One assumes you know the bike has a wet clutch, lubed and cooled by the engine oil, not a dry clutch like an auto, BMW, Guzzi, Ducatti, etc.).

It is possible for clutch plates to "stick" and dry out. Once broken free, they are dry and things are not good. Have you checked the free play on the push rod? Do you have a manual to give you measurements or guide you through the process of diagnosis?

Don't DO that!!!
Okay, give us some more symptoms. Was the bike parked for any length of time? Have you changed brands of oit? Are you using automobile oil with friction modifiers (High mileage oil?) That has been rumored to coat the clutch plates and let them slip (One assumes you know the bike has a wet clutch, lubed and cooled by the engine oil, not a dry clutch like an auto, BMW, Guzzi, Ducatti, etc.).

It is possible for clutch plates to "stick" and dry out. Once broken free, they are dry and things are not good. Have you checked the free play on the push rod? Do you have a manual to give you measurements or guide you through the process of diagnosis?

My bike stays parked alot, and I might have used some wrong oil, I think I will go back to yamalube oil, its like when I am at a stop light and I lwt off the clutch and the RPM go up but the bike dosent pick up speed IAW the RPMs

I have experienced the same thing.

2007 Fully clutched model (of course :dribble: )

Bike sits in the garage for 2 weeks out of 3. When I am home (3rd week), the bike will be used for a total of 500 - 1000kms, mostly city riding, with a 300km country run thrown in). Mileage is currently sitting at 5500kms.

Problem occurred when I was 'playing' with a Tri-colore 1098, R1, S4R, GSXR in town, through some light industrial "closed" roads on a Sunday afternoon about 6 weeks ago. Same as jorstin, apply the revs and release the clutch lever, RPM's rising, but speed is 'retarded', acceleration was minimal.

Decided to play it 'cool' for the next 10 kms and hung off the back of the group, kept the RPM's down to 4000 in all gears, and found that some feeling had returned. Nursed the bike home, went for a ride the next day....no problemo.

Have had the temp guage in to the 3rd bar (after halfway) on about 3 - 4 occasions (stuck in city traffic), but apart from that, temps have been good. Fuel economy is very good. Last oil change was @ 1000km service (dealer provided).

I have spoken to the dealer, and they would like to do an oil dump and inspection. Two of the mechanics there have FJR's, and although they have said they are not worried (engine is bullet proof, ya da ya da ya da) , are concerned enough that it should be looked at (at least).

My $AUD0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike stays parked alot, and I might have used some wrong oil, I think I will go back to yamalube oil, its like when I am at a stop light and I lwt off the clutch and the RPM go up but the bike dosent pick up speed IAW the RPMs
If you changed the oil and used auto oil with the EPA gunk in it, you might have to change the oil a couple of times to get it out of the system.

Go to motorcycle oil or any oil (like "diesel"" that doesn't have the "high mileage" or "friction reducing" package. You could look through the "oil posts" in the Never-Ending threads section.

And go easy on the clutch until the oild is circuleated out.