code 12 crankcase position sensor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwelfmike

Reaction score
My 03 won't start, the error code 12, crankcase position sensor came up.

It will turn over, and with a couple of cranks, it fires a bit, but not enough to keep going. I am wondering if anyone knows the part number for this, I have looked online and could not find it.

Any other guidance would be helpful to!

Thanks

Have not had it apart yet, doing that this morning. Will check wires and clean it first, but with just under 300,000 km's I think it would be time to change it.

Thanks

Check the sensor resistance with an ohm meter:

Crankshaft position sensor resistance
420.8 ~ 569.3 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
(between gray and black)

Well, the sensor could still be bad even though it ohms out OK.

Had it measured wrong it would have given you the confidence it was bad to order a new one.

Now, you'll have to check over all the wiring connections, and if you can't find anything that seems off, just take a leap of faith and order one anyway. ;)

well, I put the old CPS back in, cleaned it before I put it in. tried starting it, no go.

Put all the bits back on the bike to get ready for tow truck, started to call to make arrangements for tow truck, decided to give it one last chance, it started like the day I bought it....and it has been starting every day for the last three.

So, are Yamahas too embarrassed to be seen on a tow truck?

This is what is known in the electronics service business as an "intermittent fault". They will generally eventually reappear (usually at the worst possible time), but are nearly impossible to troubleshoot further until it does come back.

Sorry, and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why I have been only taking it for short rides and not to venture out too far. A mechanic friend says it may have been a stuck or blocked sensor from sitting for the last four months and cleared itself out I have cleared the codes and so far so good.

I'm not exactly sure what type of a proximity sensor it is. For what it costs, you might want to replace it prophylactically. It would be cheaper than a single tow-truck ride home.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that the Crank Position Sensor is not faulty, it is just doing it's job!

This has been discussed recently and the conclusion was the CPS error is displayed when the engine is not operating as the ECU expects........

Your problem is much more likely to be fuel or ignition related YMMV

ive been having that intermittent code 11 that cause engine to stumble . during startup and driving, then light goes out and engine runs better.  dirty cyl position sensor ?

ive been having that intermittent code 11 that cause engine to stumble . during startup and driving, then light goes out and engine runs better.  dirty cyl position sensor ?
Code 11 on a Gen I is not related to cylinder position sensor error.  Related to ABS - not sure of the details but it will come up if you run the bike in gear on the centerstand.   Front wheel sensor signal is not received properly.

Does this get its ground through one of the spiders I keep reading about?
Grounding spiders is a Gen II issue, not Gen I.

Latest posts