Coffman's Exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the muffler fell off my Homelite

that's what it sounds like

at idle-horse farting in a barrel

30 years ago I would have liked that

I do like my stage one Trooper mod tho

guess I'm not dead yet

Here is an update and full review of the Coffman Shorty Exhaust.

Link to photos - https://s1268.photobucket.com/user/SullyCuse/library/Coffman%20Shorty%20Exhaust%20-%202008%20Yamaha%20FJR1300

Coffman Shorty Exhaust

Review of Coffman Shorty Exhaust for my 2008 Yamaha FJR1300

For the purpose of full disclosure, Mr. Gary Coffman responded to an email question I had about the shorty exhaust, as to whether it caused the side saddle bags on the FJR1300 to heat up any, and he responded with an offer to send me a set and allow me to test them out. He told me to play with them, try them out and give an unbiased review of the product. This was an unsolicited offer, and since I had never done something like this, I took him up on his offer. I had first posted information about this exhaust on several FJR forums, to get the opinions of the exhaust from other FJR owners. Like I said, I have never done this before and is new territory for me, so forgive me if I don't have the review “format” down and wander a bit in my description and experience.

I received the exhaust and immediately opened up the box. The two pipes were packed really well and surrounded by bubble wrap. It also came with a note from Gary and instructions for the Yamaha FJR1300.

It took me a few days before I was able to have some time to actually install the pipes. I have to say, the instructions were very thorough. There is a piece of information I have recommend to Gary to add for future FJR owners, which I will elaborate about in a bit later.

I was able to take off the stock FJR1300 exhaust in about 5 minutes. It was real easy. There are two bolts on each pipe. One where it connects to the headers, and one on the back where there is hanger that bolts to the bracket under the side bags.

Once I removed stock exhaust, I weighed them to get a idea of the difference in weight the Coffman Exhaust would make. The stock exhaust (both pipes together) weighed in at just under 20 lbs. The Coffman Exhaust (both pipes together), weighed in at 4lbs, so you save about 16lbs of weight by moving to the Coffman Exhaust.

It took me another 15 or minutes to understand the directions and get the shorty exhaust installed on the bike. If I didn't have to run to the hardware store to get a 9/64” drill bit, it would have taken no time to get the exhaust on and buttoned up. The one thing I realized after installing the pipes and after a friend that also owns an FJR1300 noticed, is on the left side pipe there is a what looks like a hanger for the exhaust. When I got them on, I could not see where the “hanger” came into play. Since I installed these while on my center stand, the “hanger” didn't come close to the side kickstand, so I was at kind of at a loss. When I asked my buddy a few days later, (I didn't have time to take a test ride yet) he noticed the “hanger” was actually a stop protector for the center stand. I didn't have the exhaust turned just right to have the rubber on the center stand hit it correctly. The center stand was hitting the protector on the metal part of the center stand. Once I realized how it worked, it took me 5 minutes to loosen the clamp, remove the rivet that keeps the exhaust from turning (safety feature), and turn the exhaust so the center stand hit correctly on the rubber part for the center stand. I simply needed to drill another hole in the exhaust for the rivet. No harm, no foul. That is the part I mentioned to Gary, and he said he would add to the instructions, so others realize how that should line up.

I started my bike up while my friend was here. (The one w/ the FJR1300) . He was not a fan of the exhaust when I first showed it to him online. Once he saw and heard them live, he changed his tune a little bit. He still likes bigger exhaust, looks wise, but thought they sounded way better than what the short clip sounded like online.

A few days later, I had the opportunity to finally take the bike for a ride. I must say, the sound is WAY different than the stock exhaust. It is louder and throatier than the stock exhaust, but not obnoxious at all. I rode for a couple of hours and I really liked the sound while riding. I still want to get a video of me taking off from a stop, as well as a pass by video. I am hoping that will help others in making a decision if this is the type of exhaust they would like to get. I also have not taken out the baffles to try that setup. I am more than happy with the default setup of these pipes. I know these pipes will not be for everyone, but I really like them. I will not be going back to the factory exhaust.

I really like the looks of the exhaust as well as the sound, and the pipes are REALLY made well. Not only are they light, but the welds are phenomenal and the coating is fantastic. I have ridden quite a few miles now, and the exhaust DOES NOT throw any heat on the side saddle bags.

The set of pipes sent to me are black with black tips. This works out great for my bike, since the 2008 FJR1300 is black. It might look good w/ the black body and silver tip as well, since there is some silver on my bike as well.

Again, overall I am extremely happy with this exhaust. Gary and the whole Coffman team were great to work with and really friendly people. This exhaust is not their first rodeo. They have been making exhausts for over 40 years now. I have not had to call Gary with any questions, but I know I could pick up the phone and ask any questions if the need arose. Since these pipes were such a great fit and easy to install, that was never needed. At this price point, I think the Coffman Shorty Exhaust would be REALLY hard to beat. Check them out. I have put some links for you to be able to see the looks and hear the sound. Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my first big ride with these on the bike, last weekend. Over 1000 miles and I have to say, I still love these pipes.

The look of these pipes would take some getting used to. They look like they were made from a side-by-side header or high performance lawn mower. However, even if I could get to like the look, that huge, obnoxious label that appears to be riveted on would have to go, except it would leave huge holes in the side. I understand a little bit of free advertising, but those are ridiculous looking. Perhaps a little 1"x2" alumunised decal that could be removed would be better suited.

For those of you that know Adam (GalaxyBlue), he has a 4 into 1 header that kicks ass. The sound is superb. Of course this is just my opinion. Not hearing them in real life, I cannot comment on the sound and I have no idea what they cost, but the price would have to be minimal, otherwise I don't see many being sold. Personally, I like the whole stainless exhaust look over the rest, especially on the FJR.

I am taking the plunge with this exhaust system, as they shipped today so they should arrive soon and I will be able to get them on my FJR. I also have a black FJR so I ordered the silver tips and will post some pics when I get them installed and throw my two cents in on how I like the actual sound Stay Tuned!!!!!

Very cool. Yes, please post your thoughts. I still need to try without the baffles in, but I have been happy with the stock set up of the pipes, I have been too lazy to do it. I will soon though, and take more videos of the sound.

Looking forward to what you think.

I like these pipes. I'd like to hear them "live", as sound clips always seem a little higher pitched than real world. Keep us posted on your progress.

[For those of you that know Adam (GalaxyBlue), he has a 4 into 1 header that kicks ass.]

I think that 4 into 1 is a MUZZY pipe........I was told they aren't available anymore.

I like these pipes. I'd like to hear them "live", as sound clips always seem a little higher pitched than real world. Keep us posted on your progress.
Klubis,

Most computer speakers just suck. Try plugging in a half-decent set of ear-buds to your computer (or sound card), turn the sound volume 'way down, and give a listen. The difference is amazing.

Cheers,

Infrared

They sound nice, are obviously pretty light and the price for the pair is reasonable compared to some of the others. Would be interesting to hear from some folks who have run them for a while to confirm that they don't damage the side cases.
Or damage your hearing, heh. Youtube fidelity isn't that great, but I get the impression they don't suppress much (not that some folks aren't into that sort of thing).

I have to echo SullyCuse's opinions on the company itself, very good to deal with, prompt replies to emails and very courteous, the tracking number was emailed to me quite promptly. Now if it would just freakin warm up here in Saskatchewan so I don't freeze my fingers off installing these silencers.
cold.gif

So the pipes arrived, packed carefully and with no damage so iIinstaled them last weekend. My apologies for the pictures as it was too cold out to roll the bike out of my dingy garage. I will post further pictures when I can get the bike out of the garage if the weather would ever co-operate. It is hard to judge the sound quality when the bike is in a small single car garage but they were quite throaty when the bike first started and ran on it's high idle program. Once the bike warmed up and settled into a normal idle the sound was quite pleasing. I will post further pictures and my opinion on the real world sound of the bike on the road as soon as the weather permits.

1-IMAG0138_zpsaee6800d.jpg

1-IMAG0136_zps6a41e94b.jpg

1-IMAG0134_zps43726edb.jpg

1-IMAG0133_zpse31de231.jpg

I forgot to mention that the stock mufflers are 10 lbs and the Coffman's are 2 lbs so 10 - 2 = 8 x 2 = 16 lbs weight saving. It is noticable even when you heft the Feejer onto the center stand. So it should be very noticable when riding the bike, but time will tell.