Considering a used 2005 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For that amount of miles, the price seems a little high....craigslist is your friend...you will find one

Karnal, where abouts you located? I got the 2005 in 2010 with under 6K miles, and it has fully held its value after several cross country trips, gatherings and plenty of riding. The 2005 has the same power as a current bike, but won't hit you with heavy depreciation for the first five years. On the other hand, they are more refined and really cool bikes.

I would negotiate any 2005 from a dealer to get closer to $5K today and would look for service records that the valve check was done on schedule. I replaced a chain tensioner at 26K miles when I did the valve check. The bike had no performance problems, but the timing chain was audible, especially when cold during compression decelleration. Other things that add appreciably to value of a used bike is a custom seat, and suspension upgrades.

Good luck with whatever you choose. The 2005 is a great bike that will give you many years of service and performance.

Your best bet is to find a forumer here who is selling their bike for a steal, get a loan from a local bank, and do a fly-and-ride. Seriously. If you're going to take out a loan at the dealer to get a bike, you can take out a loan from the bank to get a bike. And if you buy from a forumer, you'll get a much better deal than any dealer would ever consider.

When I was shopping around (last year), here in Rochester, there was an '07AE that the dealer wasn't interested in going under 11k on. He still has it. I got my '08 from a forumer for $5800. It had 83k miles on it, but runs perfectly as the previous owner took great care of it. I was able to get another forumer to go and take a look at the bike for me since it was across the country, and he was very helpful in taking it for a ride and letting me know his thoughts. You might be surprised exactly how helpful the people around here are.

On the topid of those '05s you've seen at dealers, I would agree that the price is a bit high. They're "mid-mileage" for FJRs based on the shopping that I've done, and are 2 generations old. If one has scratches, that should bump the price down a bit more as well, but probably not too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't realize I hadn't updated my profile. I'm close to Columbus Ohio. Using SearchTempest, I'm finding that there's a good range - but private party seems to float between 4000-6000. I definitely won't pick up from a dealership if I can stand it; but sometimes I get that itch... and they have the bike.

On a related note, using SearchTempest I'm finding a brand new 2013 A for 13,900 in Cleveland - and a 2014 A for 13,400 in Pittsburgh.... I'm much more a fan of the silver....

FWIW, I picked up my 05 with 10k miles, ran some Yamalube ring free in the gas and never had to touch it. Best fun for the $ I've had and it will last a long time. I've seen a few 05s going cheap in So Cal since the Gen III came out. I'm sure you will find a great deal very soon.

I'm going to head to a dealer I've previously purchased from; they've got 2 fjr1300a models - 2010 and 2011, 3-4k miles on each and are listing at 10,9 and 12,9 each. The 2011 has a top case, but the 2010 looks like it has risers already installed.

I'll test ride both and probably get into one. If they can't do me right, I can walk - and that's the best feeling to have in my back pocket if necessary. The itch is needing a scratch....

$12,900 is high for a 2011, even with a top case. That's what a new 2013 is going for at most reasonable dealers. There have been a lot of used FJRs posted here the past couple days. As mentioned previously, look here for a well maintained Gen2. They are going for $7-9k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah; my real bargaining power comes into play that a 2014 ES model is advertised nearby at 14,9 - and I wouldn't pay anyone's list price regardless. I'm pretty much thinking the 2010 is going to get the purchase; we'll see where we get the numbers to though.

Stupid question - and I've done some searches - but I've become accustomed to my wife's "new bike's" heated grips. Are these fairly standard (even though listed as potential options) on the 2010/2011 models? Also, risers - look like they make riding easier for someone as tall as me, amirite (6'2"+)