Cooked Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-Richie

Reaction score
So I cooked my OE battery on my 05. Tried a number of different revival methods and its now time to accept that she's dead and gone and time to move on.

Is the OE battery the only 210 CCA rated battery? All other versions of the *14b-4 I see are rated at 135.

Pricey for the new GS ($180 CDN) but the original lasted me until now so I'm okay going with the OE version again provided I can restrain myself from cooking it again for another 5 years.

I know Wesco is pretty popular from bikeeffects.com but that is not an option as I'm in Canada.

I had all sorts of problems trying to get a battery for the gen2.

I ended up getting the OEM YUASA YT14B-BS a 280CCA that was tested out at 220 CCA.

Hard enough trying to find a battery to fit not alone the correct CCA rating.

Make sure the shop tests it in front of you or walk away.

I bought one over the net and it tested out at 68CCA, for a new battery and it didn't turn the motor over.

I got caught out :angry2:

Ended up paying $320 Aus for it with a discount.

Cheers

I gotta ask... How did you "cook" the battery? Too long on a higher amp charger?

Sorry to hear it's dead and gone, but you gave it a pretty good run, I'd say!

Don

Optimate4 or Ctek charger, various models for both bike and car. These are the most respected chargers for motorcycle batteries, Yamaha recommend Ctek

Andy

I gotta ask... How did you "cook" the battery? Too long on a higher amp charger?

Sorry to hear it's dead and gone, but you gave it a pretty good run, I'd say!

Don

Yep, wasn't paying attention when I set the charge rate which is even worse considering my Schumacher is full auto detect and gets the charge rate right 100 out of 100 times. :dumb:

Anyways, I'm going with the factory replacement so it should do me well - still feel bad about accidently killing the 100 year old patient though.