Coolant????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woketman

Reaction score
What coolant is required by Yamaha to not void the warranty on a Gen II '06? I can find no designation of what coolant to use. Thanks!!!

Honda Pre-Mix, that's what I use so I just went out to the garage to read the jug but I didn't see "the dog's danglies" anywhere in the fine print.

Canadian FJR

The premix is OK but I can't see paying Honda for their water when I have a well full of it in the back yard. We have some of the purest water on the planet here in cantral Or. so I Just get straight coolant and mix my own. It's not bad with Tonic and a twist of lime. :rolleyes:

Just returned from Walmart where I bought Prestone 50/50 extended life coolant. It says on the label "all makes, all models of cars and ligt trucks". I assume this is OK. What say you guys? Thanks.

Per the Service Manual: Recommended antifreeze; High-quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines. 1:1 ratio (antifreeze/water)

Just a comment on mixing your own - use distilled rather than tap water. You don't want to add minerals (calcium and magnesium) that could be a problem. Water can be "pure" but can still leave hard water deposits where you don't want them.

Just a comment on mixing your own - use distilled rather than tap water. You don't want to add minerals (calcium and magnesium) that could be a problem.

Water can be "pure" but can still leave hard water deposits where you don't want them.
absodamlutely, was just going to post up this same point.

I happened to unintentionally run a test on this 'good water' vs. distilled water for mixing w/ antifreeze;

never going to do that again... Distilled water is $1/gal at any grocery store.

It's amazing that cooling systems used in aluminum engines found on motorcycles require distilled water for a coolant change but when the same owners’ change coolant in their cars/trucks, water from the hose seems sufficient. This is probably due to the same phenomenon that requires the exact measurement of engine oil when performing an oil change on a motorcycle vs. a car or truck. As we all know, ounces and tenths of an ounce matter when adding lubricant to an FJR, but on our 4-wheel vehicles if 4.5 quarts is called for we put in four, eye-ball half of the fifth quart and call if done.

It's amazing that cooling systems used in aluminum engines found on motorcycles require distilled water for a coolant change but when the same owners’ change coolant in their cars/trucks, water from the hose seems sufficient. This is probably due to the same phenomenon that requires the exact measurement of engine oil when performing an oil change on a motorcycle vs. a car or truck. As we all know, ounces and tenths of an ounce matter when adding lubricant to an FJR, but on our 4-wheel vehicles if 4.5 quarts is called for we put in four, eye-ball half of the fifth quart and call if done.
I use distilled on everything. If you plan to keep it for a long time I think it's a good idea. I have 144000 on my fjr and over 100000 on all my vehicles so I'm concerned with longevity. YMMV.

It's amazing that cooling systems used in aluminum engines found on motorcycles require distilled water for a coolant change butwhen the same owners’ change coolant in their cars/trucks, water from the hose seems sufficient...
not speaking for this owner of cars and motorcycles. Always distilled water if it goes into the coolant mix.

300000 Plus miles on the old Dodge an tap water mix hasn't stopped her yet. The rad Is actually crumbling but no plugage.

:jester:

Honda Pre-Mix, that's what I use so I just went out to the garage to read the jug but I didn't see "the dog's danglies" anywhere in the fine print.

Canadian FJR
+1 for the Honda premix, and the dog danglies you need to hang 2 qt on the back of your FJR and you got dog danglies..lol

You're right about this. Especially if you live in a place where your tap water is corrosive. For example, my hometown growing up has treated sulfur water that eats up faucets. It dawned on me some years ago that if it does that to faucets, imagine what it's doing to the inside of my radiator.

I've been using distilled water only, for many years, even though i don't live there anymore.

My radiator man also told me if more people used distilled water, their radiators would last much longer.

Just a comment on mixing your own - use distilled rather than tap water. You don't want to add minerals (calcium and magnesium) that could be a problem. Water can be "pure" but can still leave hard water deposits where you don't want them.