Corbin All Day Seat Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Corbin seats are crazy heavy. You'd think that they were made out of depleted uranium.

When I bought my bike it came with Corbins. When I removed the Corbins and all that weight, it completely screwed up the suspension on my bike. I had to change to a Penske shock and a Racetech cartridge valve with Traxxion springs setup. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

had a corbin and now it is mounted to a riding lawn mover , best upgrade i could do to the Montgomery... I love modification stories , Glad it works.

Those Corbin seats are crazy heavy. You'd think that they were made out of depleted uranium.
When I bought my bike it came with Corbins. When I removed the Corbins and all that weight, it completely screwed up the suspension on my bike. I had to change to a Penske shock and a Racetech cartridge valve with Traxxion springs setup. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

I like the stock seat.
It's a nutcracker
Just to be honest and irritating at the same time, I also like the stock seat. I came from a Honda ST1300 and even though that OE seat looks comfy, it is not. The FJR seat is worth about 45 minutes more than the ST seat before I HAD to Get Off Now.

Also, according to Mr. Seth Laam the FJR seat pan is a very good base on which to build a great custom seat.

We are all individuals and we all like what we like. I do think some of us just like to stir things though.
nono.gif

I thought that this thread was going to help me make some changes to the Corbin that just sits in the garage collecting dust.......
I also had a Corbin dust collector that became unused for 4 years, even after I made extra foam additions.

Could not sell it for the life of me - even at a lowly $50 !

Eventually gave it away -- glad to see the back of it !

This has been a good thread
smile.png

OK the 200 mile weekend ride turned into a 400. After 5 hours of driving, I was getting tired and needed to stretch my legs. I don't ride that much any more, just commute to work so I am not sure if I am out of shape. I can say that when I left Boise for Magic Reservoir, I completely forgot about the seat.

It's all relative. I put a Corbin on a 929 and it was a significant improvement. Did a 600-mile day, 2-up, and several 400-milers, in nearly reasonable comfort. Then the '05 came along and we rode the stock seat for 44k miles. The RDL on the '14 is all-day comfortable, just had to solve the additional height issue with a bit thicker boot sole and pulling the plastic seat tray. Be kind of weird if one solution fit everyone, wouldn't it?

These "personal choice" threads are entertaining but pointless. Hard mattress, or soft? Sweet or unsweet? Black or cream and sugar? Yamaha or BMW? Mustang or Camaro? I mean someone, somewhere, considers haggis their favorite meal. C'mon, that can't compare to potted meat on toast, now can it?

Reading back through this thread, it all began so innocently. He was just sharing what he could do to fix a Corbin... :)

I bought a Corbin seat off of the classified ads and decided to modify the foam in the seat. Drilling out the rivets and separating the foam from the cover revealed very little foam between the cover and seat pan- hence the firmness of the seat.
Costco has pillows made up of memory foam reasonably priced at 2 for 10 bucks. I made up two patterns for foam insert/covers to lie between the original cover and the foam on the seat pan. I have a sewing machine that allows me to sew pads to hold the loose foam in the pillow and then I cut the pillow shapes to fit the seat pan.

My pneumatic stapler would not penetrate the seat pan so I used self tapping lath screws to hold the cover in place. The screws went right into the old rivet holes perfectly.

My seat feels great on my butt and private parts. It is much more puffy but looks like it was intended to be that way. Now I'll have to do the passenger seat.

Yes I do have pictures. No I haven't been able to post them. Working on it

*snippered*seems like the pan is made of a composite like fiberglass. (*** snipped again..) I recover them and alter seat foam to bring them up to date.
I have a seat off an Ossa MAR that I'm thinning down and I'd like to get your ideas on how to do it.

If you would, PM me please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading back through this thread, it all began so innocently. He was just sharing what he could do to fix a Corbin...
smile.png

I bought a Corbin seat off of the classified ads and decided to modify the foam in the seat. Drilling out the rivets and separating the foam from the cover revealed very little foam between the cover and seat pan- hence the firmness of the seat.
Costco has pillows made up of memory foam reasonably priced at 2 for 10 bucks. I made up two patterns for foam insert/covers to lie between the original cover and the foam on the seat pan. I have a sewing machine that allows me to sew pads to hold the loose foam in the pillow and then I cut the pillow shapes to fit the seat pan.

My pneumatic stapler would not penetrate the seat pan so I used self tapping lath screws to hold the cover in place. The screws went right into the old rivet holes perfectly.

My seat feels great on my butt and private parts. It is much more puffy but looks like it was intended to be that way. Now I'll have to do the passenger seat.

Yes I do have pictures. No I haven't been able to post them. Working on it
Never an innocent person, my ways are evil

It's all relative. I put a Corbin on a 929 and it was a significant improvement. Did a 600-mile day, 2-up, and several 400-milers, in nearly reasonable comfort. Then the '05 came along and we rode the stock seat for 44k miles. The RDL on the '14 is all-day comfortable, just had to solve the additional height issue with a bit thicker boot sole and pulling the plastic seat tray. Be kind of weird if one solution fit everyone, wouldn't it?
These "personal choice" threads are entertaining but pointless. Hard mattress, or soft? Sweet or unsweet? Black or cream and sugar? Yamaha or BMW? Mustang or Camaro? I mean someone, somewhere, considers haggis their favorite meal. C'mon, that can't compare to potted meat on toast, now can it?
Pillow top mattress, sweet, cream and sugar, Yamaha, Mustang.....you're welcome
lol.gif

The stock seat was good for about an hour and then I had to get off the bike

The Corbin seat was good for about an hour and then I had to get off the bike

The Sargent seat was good for about two hours and then I wanted to get off the bike

The Laam seat has been ordered and I'm waiting for a production date before the SFO meet

I guess I'm one of the exceptions to the rule. Got a Corbin Dual Canyon on my 2005. 2 weeks after getting it (and only local short rides) did a 1150 mile ride (straight through) from my home in Texas to a darkside GL1800 ride in that was being held in Summersville, WV.

Only "issues" I had was with the wrist numbness and a short period of battling the red-eyed demon cicadas in Tennessee. As far as the seat, I didn't find it uncomfortable at all. I've never liked a "soft" seat as I always tended to get hotspots from the ones I had on my previous bikes (Mustang on cruisers). Of course, I don't have any issues riding in a saddle on a horse for 6-8 hours a day either so I guess I really am the "hard ass" that folks tell me I am.
winksmiley02.gif

Reading back through this thread, it all began so innocently. He was just sharing what he could do to fix a Corbin...
smile.png
Which is when I got confused. Someone buys a seat to replace the uncomfortable OEM seat and they then cobble it/spend more to make it more comfortable?

Well I originally was sold on the rear seat backrest for my honey. Then when I examined the seat I realized I could easily remove the LEATHER cover. Then I was walking through Costco and I saw 2 memory foam pillows for $10. Then I received a large lift heavy duty sewing machine in a trade. It all clicked together and I made patterns and sewed little pillows from the memory foam. I could take offense at the "cobbled" comment, I think that you would not be able to tell what I did until you sat on it. I think the factory seat is pretty much OK for my kind of riding anyway. And tell me you have never changed anything on your bike because you can.

Latest posts