Corbin All Day Seat Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seat was purchased for cheap from the classified ads on this forum. I am now completely done with this posting. I am worn down. I get it and I give up. Put a stake in it. Next subject: double darksider in Idaho. Stay tuned

I totally get it and agree with what you've done. As I said in post 8, if I had a Corbin again, first thing I would do is put some foam in it...... I have an original Corbin on another older bike which has lots of foam (from Corbin) and it is really comfortable. Don't know why Corbin doesn't do this now, if they had foam they would be one of the more desirable seats.

My dear sir, you are not "telling me something I don't want to hear." You are telling me something that I have heard many times. If your FrankenCorbin makes you happy, great. You modified it, you are proud of it, I am proud for you. I have spent money on "off the shelf" seats, so I have been where you are. I have also spent money on true custom seats so I have experience on both sides of this coin. Therefore it sounds as though I am Telling YOU something you don't want to hear.
The best seat builders use a combination of different foams in different locations. They build the seat based on factors like body weight, size, height, seating position, individual needs, and intended uses. They understand about what foams are necessary to either support or cushion, where support is needed, how the body functions after long, long days in the saddle. The Russell also has a spring which just happens to be patented that provides support in ways that foam simply cannot.

You have done something good by tearing into and improving your seat. Rather than criticize the craftsmanship that you do not know anything about, why not try to learn something from those folks who have built thousands and thousands of custom seats? That information might put you in a position to improve what you have already done.

Of course if you already know Everything There is to Know...
Man, have you become a dik since I went on hiatus..

Good to see somebody covered me azz.

I find this whole thread laughable..

If you spend money, HARD earned, or found in a dumpster outside a Wendys????

Why the hell are you modifying a seat you paid extra for??

Guess I'm stupid for expecting something I paid for to live up to my expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
All right I know I said I was done here, but circumstances require that I return. Coming into this forum as a newbie, I had no idea of the inbred regular poster attitude found here. Without getting upset (and please don't get upset with me), I can see that some of the posters here have an attitude that I don't appreciate, and don't need to hear. Yes, I can take my sad, Corbin-upgrading butt over to a new forum, but someone should tell you all that you may be turning away another experienced, and capable motorcyclist and mechanic that just might have some good ideas and knowledge. Of course, if the posters on this forum already know everything, then new blood has no value and should be discouraged. Please don't think my feelings are hurt, I just weigh the value of being on this forum, and for me it is not what I want.

Can someone please explain what an FJR Commander is and if I can ever aspire to be one? Thanks and adios

Can someone please explain what an FJR Commander is and if I can ever aspire to be one?
If you allow the normal progression, as your post count goes up your Member Title will automatically progress from Training Pilot through several levels to FJR Commander. The number of posts Forumites achieve does not equate to either credibility or competency. Some people intervene and simply change their Title and derail the process, most don't care or bother. It's up to you if you can stay here long enough to become a Commander (or simply change your Member Title and get it over with).

It appears you were clever and inventive in modifying your seat. Others did not see the rational or sense of what you did. You were inflexible, in fact were somewhat aggressive in selling your idea; many Forumites were steadfast in not being sold. When both sides meet with NO give or take in their view point you get a confrontational situation. You aren't the first one, in fact there have been a lot of others that entered the Forum this way. Some adapted, most disappeared not wanting to deal with this Forum full of assholes. Sometimes people are assholes, born that way and many times they hone that skill(?). Other times assholes are minted. You minted a few and they were accepting of the task
smile.png
Given another topic they revert back and are no longer assholes.

Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know

Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go

Can’t hold it back anymore

Let it go, let it go

smile.png

I gotta go look around Wendys' dumpsters more often.
Do it, Fred. I found a pretty good hamburger there once. At least one side of it was pretty good.

. . . Please don't think my feelings are hurt, I just weigh the value of being on this forum, and for me it is not what I want.
Can someone please explain what an FJR Commander is and if I can ever aspire to be one? Thanks and adios
Only if you stick around. But at least your feelings aren't hurt.

All right I know I said I was done here, but circumstances require that I return. Coming into this forum as a newbie, I had no idea of the inbred regular poster attitude found here. Without getting upset (and please don't get upset with me), I can see that some of the posters here have an attitude that I don't appreciate, and don't need to hear. Yes, I can take my sad, Corbin-upgrading butt over to a new forum, but someone should tell you all that you may be turning away another experienced, and capable motorcyclist and mechanic that just might have some good ideas and knowledge. Of course, if the posters on this forum already know everything, then new blood has no value and should be discouraged. Please don't think my feelings are hurt, I just weigh the value of being on this forum, and for me it is not what I want.
None of us are serious when taking jabs. The points between the bookended sarcasm are usually valid (except when it's the one under Bust's hat) but the digs are never to be taken seriously.

10903500_1105431862854323_1981112755_n.jpg

(Bust) Guess you're stupid expecting something you paid for to live up to expectations?

Then why would anybody modify anything? Especially an FJR?

Farkles be damned I say!

^^^ That right there is an excellent point.

Some folks are busting on this guy for messing around with a $500 seat (which he paid less for used) but the first minute we get our new $16k dollar bike home from the stealership we are changing shit around to suit our personal preferences like there is no tomorrow. I'll confess, that is exactly what I did with mine.

I think the ingenuity of adapting the seat is to be applauded. I've just never had the least bit of success at it with seats, especially with the Corbin Bricks (and believe me there have been too many in my past) which was why I copped an attitude over them. Not because of any short comings of the OP, just because Corbins suck moist ass cheese IMO (IN MY OPINION!)

Maybe the OP has had better luck, or maybe a different tolerance for ass pain, than yours truly. If so great. I've certainly done a number of mods I thought would be earthshakingly better, only to find that they either didn't do what I thought, or made things worse. That doesn't stop me from trying again.

So go ahead and make your mods, and by all means report them here or elsewhere. But don't forget, this is the world wide interwebs. There is no screening to participate and you will get all kinds of feedback, both constructive or not, to anything you do, both well done or not.

(Bust) Guess you're stupid expecting something you paid for to live up to expectations?

Farkles be damned I say!
You missed the point...

He paid for a custom seat, yes it was used but why pay for a farkle you have to farkle?

If it was something he added to improve curb appeal and added paint or eye candy I'd understand.

But customizing creature comforts that are all ready ridiculously over priced just grinds my nutz.

Just like paying a grand plus for a penski shock and spending hundreds customizing it.

I don't find anything wrong with the OP's actions at all. He bought a used seat that was customized for someone else and made it fit him. We all have done the same customization with the FJRs that we ride with by using aftermarket windshields, bar risers, top boxes, bar end weights, etc.

Personally, I was impressed with your ingenuity. I was not impressed with the way you patted yourself on the back. Either way, that's no reason to get mad and leave. This is the internet. Anyone can play, and if you take anything personal, you're gonna be bugged all the time. We've all seen it and some have experienced it. There aholes on every forum out there. Many are easy to find depending on how you come across.

Stick around and see what happens, or don't. Either way, ride safe.

Farkles be damned I say!
You missed the point...

He paid for a custom seat, yes it was used but why pay for a farkle you have to farkle?

If it was something he added to improve curb appeal and added paint or eye candy I'd understand.

But customizing creature comforts that are all ready ridiculously over priced just grinds my nutz.

Just like paying a grand plus for a penski shock and spending hundreds customizing it.
OP has said multiple times that he bought the seat for cheap from the classified section on this forum, so he didn't pay full price for a custom seat and then start ripping it apart. He bought a used seat for cheap and modified it to fit him for a couple bucks and his time, ending up with a seat that fits him.

Latest posts