craftsman torque wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FJRGLASman, went looking f/ a Craftsman torque wrench a week ago. I decided to wait on one since the cheapest one w/ the ft/lbs twist on the handle was $75.00.... for the cheap one!

Is there a sale running on these right now?

I've been figuring that I'd end up over at Northern Tool looking for one. I refuse to pay that much for something that'll get used all of 3-4 times a year when changing my oil.

It's a guy thing. You wouldn't understand.

Think of it as shoes. You can only wear one pair at a time, but the closet is full of em.

Not my closet! I hate shoe shopping. I have very few functioning pairs that are not lawn mowing shoes, because I hate shoe shopping.

OTOH, I like tools. They make life so much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mistake. Making a generalization based on the appearance of my wife's closet...and my tool box. ;)

My mistake. Making a generalization based on the appearance of my wife's closet...and my tool box. ;)
It's ok, I'll just beat you about the head & neck when I see you next month. JK... looking forward to meeting ya'.

Check amazon.com. They have some absolutely killer deals on torque wrenches right now.
They do indeed. I just ordered this a couple of weeks ago

Torque wrench
That's exactly the one I bought to install the new RAM ball equipped stem nut. :D

I was a bit suspicious of it at that price, but it sure seems like nice wrench.

Check amazon.com. They have some absolutely killer deals on torque wrenches right now.
They do indeed. I just ordered this a couple of weeks ago

Torque wrench
That's exactly the one I bought to install the new RAM ball equipped stem nut. :D

I was a bit suspicious of it at that price, but it sure seems like nice wrench.
Watch out for the Sears Torque wrench!!! I ran out and bought one to retorque the slider bolts to 29 ft lbs. The wrench started to turn and turn. I stopped, cranked it down to 5 ft lbs and tried on my jeep lug nuts and it never did click or skip like the directions stated!!! It just put more pressure on the nuts! Unless I'm totally stupid this thing dosn't work!! Anyone else have this happen?? I may have over torqued the slider bolts!! It was the one on sale with the 3/8" drive 5lbs to 80 lbs. went back and bought the old fashion one and the bolts were over torqued!!! Coments????

i have 4 different torque wrenches. at least 2 of them are sears branded and have worked fine.

as with any precision instrument shat happens and it might be a bad example needing replacement.

also torque wrenches should be serviced periodically (calibrated) to ensure accuracy. anyone know of a good place that does calibrations?

I also have two Sears torque wrenches, 1/2 and 3/8. Both work and have never had a problem and seem to be within specs of the settings.

And by the way you don't need to torque the drain bolt. Many have and some have been stripped.

Assuming the torque wrench was properly calibrated when you got it, don't forget to wind it back down to the lowest setting before you put it away. Not doing this keeps tension in the wrench and it can lose its accuracy. If you ever drop it, that too can affect the accuracy and don't ever use it too loosen fasteners or keep tightening after it clicks. This all assumes we're talking "clicker" type torque wrenches and not the beam type. These tips will keep it as accurate as possible between calibrations.

Latest posts