CrazyKZ (Curt Gran) - 6/17/2012 RIP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't even begin to describe how I felt upon hearing this.

The day before the start of the rally in 2011, I suddenly had EZBake paranoia. I tracked Curt down and asked him to come to my room to make sure I wasn't stupid. Like Curt could help with that! Anyway, it was fine, I was fine. I was ever so grateful.

After the rally, I was extending thanks to people who were helpful and I mentioned Curt in putting a stop to that last minute melt-down. He replied with a kind, 'no problem' and my response? "Yeah, that was nice, but like most men, turns out you were useless" (for those who don't know, EZBake and the like were of no help in the 2011 IBR).

Of course, there's been plenty of more polite correspondence since then, but that one sticks with me right now. Curt was being Curt and I was being me.

Reading what you guys have to say here helps sooth the sorrow. RIP curt and prayers for Cindy.

I just signed up to the ST-Owners Waffle House ride. Don't own an ST or nothin'....but damn Curt was my friend and I need to do *something* to honor his life. Let's get some more FJR owners doing this thing. Miss you, brother!

CLICKY

And in case you don't know the Curt Gran Waffle House story:

CLICKY

Last edited by a moderator:
I signed up for a Waffle House. I also see the ST guys are planning a RTE for that date - August 25th at The Cozy in Thurmont, MD. If any of you are looking to ride in for that and need some local intel, let me know and I'll do my best to help you with information.

I just signed up to the ST-Owners Waffle House ride. Don't own an ST or nothin'....but damn Curt was my friend and I need to do *something* to honor his life. Let's get some more FJR owners doing this thing. Miss you, brother!
Where are you headed, Jerry? It looks like AZ is your best bet...looks like the only western state that Waffle House has locations in.

Where are you headed, Jerry? It looks like AZ is your best bet...looks like the only western state that Waffle House has locations in.
Yes, AZ is the deal. However they just added a local spot called "House of Chicken and Waffles." This means I can ride 700 miles to PHX, or 12 miles to Oakland. What Would Curt Do?

I attended the services for Curt this weekend.

It was a fitting tribute to one of the all-time great LDRiders, a man whose kindness and generosity in all aspects of life were as immense as his riding talent.

Here's a link to a video of the procession:

John Ryan

P7170526.jpg

Doug, Wonderful tribute.

Tell me me more of this pix?

Must have been a reason, more than obvious?

I see RenoJohn's BMR, LowCal, and, sadly, RIP sticker.

And Eddies Road.. I know that one.

If you choose remain silent, I get it.

LOL,

I swear I didn't intend for it to end up that way.

It started years ago when I saw Matt had an IBA sticker on his windshield.

I really thought that would be the only one.

Then, for the LowCal 250 rally, Craig Chaddock, the rally master, requires you put an identifying sticker on you bike. Tim would have been give one for when he came down to participate. I don't know if he put it on his FJR since he got sick that day and couldn't do the rally.

I have done 3 LowCals and the LC11 on my FJR, so I am accumulating them.

My rally, the Team Lyle Alamo Express, was a fund raiser for Eddie's Road, in the memory of Eddie James. That is how I got that sticker.

The "I shot my condom" was from the White Stag event, where I literally shot a blown up condom with an AR-15. I am very proud of that.

IPASS is from the 2011 IBR, when I needed to be prepared to ride across the US and use the Northeast toll roads.

The Dread Pirate Kermit sticker is in memory of Ken Morton:

https://dreadpiratekermit.org/

I just put on the sticker for Curt Gran today.

I did not intend for my windshield to become such a Memento Mori, but since I have so many friends who ride motorcycles, it just turned out that way.

My thoughts are really with Kneebone, Ira, Warchild, and the others who have been involved in this for so much longer than I have, and have lost so many other friends and acquaintances.

It is too bad that Dick Fish didn't get a sticker, at least to my knowledge.

As Dale has said, this is tough stuff.

Latest posts