cross over fitments (headlights, taillights)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
More research for the comparo matrix...

It seems that the 2016 has a pretty cool LED headlight assembly that, by looking at the shape and anchor location may fit into a 2013-2015 (true?). The wiring, however, seems a bit more fiddly... I know that the 2016ES has the MTU that controls lean angle actuation of side LED's. Is this still true in the A model? Has anyone looked into the possibility of a headlight assembly swap between 2013-2015 and 2016A?

I am bored and I need some crap to research on. I still have a gen1 but what the hell...it all in the name of sciences!

Same story for tail light assembly. Would it fit? Seems that the wiring would be a bit more straight forward...

Cheers!

Luis

Not sure it would easily work, even if mechanical fitment is ok.

The LED running lights on the '13 - '15 are driven from the meter unit. I strongly suspect it's not a normal 12 volt feed, but a current-limited drive specific to the LEDs being driven.

If I'm correct on this, and the '16 follows the path of the '15, you would need to provide suitable drivers for the lights you wish to change, so not "plug and play".

I am bored and I need some crap to research on. I still have a gen1 but what the hell...it all in the name of sciences!
That sounds great! Do it!

Asking if anybody else has done it isn't actually usable research of course that could go in the Matrix..... We really need somebody to actually do the swaps or take apart a bike and examine all the fiddly bits to make and informed opinon.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The LED running lights on the '13 - '15 are driven from the meter unit. I strongly suspect it's not a normal 12 volt feed, but a current-limited drive specific to the LEDs being driven.

If I'm correct on this, and the '16 follows the path of the '15, you would need to provide suitable drivers for the lights you wish to change, so not "plug and play".
Unless you run them off your fusebox, using the motorbike's light switch as trigger with the appropriate relay. I would suspect you would need a current regulator (drivers)...?

Luis

Unless you run them off your fusebox, using the motorbike's light switch as trigger with the appropriate relay. I would suspect you would need a current regulator (drivers)...?

Luis
Exactly. (That's if my assumption is correct.)

Luis
Exactly. (That's if my assumption is correct.)
Uhmm... I like the challenge!

So, we also need to know whether is even physically possible! By looking at the schematics it seems that the anchors are in the same place... Someone wants to send pictures of 2013-2015 and 2016?