cruise control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a vac canister altho I built mine. The Vac line I fed from the MAP has a check valve on it. I'll seal off the MAP line and tie the port lines into the rest of it. I'll experiment with using 1 or more of the ports and carry the little caps for the rest when I travel.

I am tied into the coil - verified this afternoon. I'll dig and find out more about using the ABS signal.

So, one more go at this, then it's Rostra for me! I do hope I'm wrong about this as I'd like to use what's already installed. Maybe a late spring run to Montana is in order! I have plenty of other work to do + regional runs to keep me happy until then.

I added the Rostra electronic. It works fine so far. Followed advice on the Forum for instillation, but either I was not understanding or got confused, in the end I just tried several wiring methods and it finally worked. Glad I have it but the wiring was a little tougher than I expected in the beginning but don't let me scare you off, if I can do it you can. If you get hung up on the wiring write me and I can check on my bike 2010 what I did.

I am interested in the Rostra over the Audiovox in order to avoid the vacuum issues.

What is the size of the control box? I assume its smaller than the one with a vacuum actuator.

How much variance to set speed do you get on hills etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in the Rostra over the Audiovox in order to avoid the vacuum issues.What is the size of the control box? I assume its smaller than the one with a vacuum actuator.

The control unit is bigger than the CCS-100. I think it will fit under the seat, but not sure; other installs show it in the back and personally I'd wouldn't want to put it there.

I'm still playing with my installed vac unit (last try!), so no install notes just yet; I am interested in what Silver Streak did to make it work OK beyond the normal install.

I am interested in the Rostra over the Audiovox in order to avoid the vacuum issues.What is the size of the control box? I assume its smaller than the one with a vacuum actuator.

The control box is bigger but dose not need the vacuem canaster. I have a picture of mine under the seat in a post I did a little while ago.

See here

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155975-repost-my-fjr-farkles-with-pics/

As far as variance the unit tries hard to keep set speeds, but if you hit a steep hill and the bike slows hold on because its going to put on the gas to get the bike back to where it was set. Milder hills it dose very well. All that can be adjusted by the dip switches on how agresive or tame the unit responds, but that would take alot of trying and changing and there is limits in what can be changed.

Tapping into the MAP sensor pressure lines is not a good choice. If you remove one of those lines from a throttle body you'll discover a flow orifice at the throttle body. Flow to the cruise control will generate a pressure drop at the throttle body source -- not good.

My Audiovox works fine with a connection to just one throttle body. One check valve and a 19 cubic inch vacuum canister -- tomato soup can.

It will hold speed going up steep grades.