cruise options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyndsight

Reaction score
first off, still getting to know my new (03) and still trying to sort out some questions. Do the factory heated grips consist of tape elements on the bars and a hi/off/lo round rocker switch on the right fairing? What is the push button on a strange bracket under the horn button....with wires heading to the same place as afore-mentioned rocker switch? (These questions might be moot if they actually worked) And short of striping this crap off and instaling hot grips, is there any throtle lock that is recomended for use with factory heated grips?

Not an expert on GenIs, but that's not what the GenII heated grip controls look like.

Might I suggest photos to better illustrate what you are talking about.

first off, still getting to know my new (03) and still trying to sort out some questions. Do the factory heated grips consist of tape elements on the bars and a hi/off/lo round rocker switch on the right fairing? What is the push button on a strange bracket under the horn button....with wires heading to the same place as afore-mentioned rocker switch? (These questions might be moot if they actually worked) And short of striping this crap off and instaling hot grips, is there any throtle lock that is recomended for use with factory heated grips?
Maybe the previous owner could answer your questions. As FJRguy said post some pic's and people will have a better idea of what you are talking about and be able to offer some suggestions.

I don't think the '03 had heated grips available from Yammy, so I'm pretty sure those are aftermarket.

Can't answer your throttle lock question, but a real cruise control would work just fine. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yea yea, I'm worse at postin pics than figuring out heated grips.

Last owner was clueless.....so I think I'll pull some fairing etc and try to trace wires etc. to make them work....I just put grips on my connie before I bought this bike and don't think I want to ride another Maine winter without them now (spoiled?)

So, cruise? Suggestions? I started down the throttle lock road only from a money saving standpoint (need saddle/windshield/piaa's already) But if there is a reasnobly priced cruise out there that would save me from buying new hotgrips, (if I can make mine work) I could compromise.....

OK, not in the budget to install 'real' cruise, so, any suggestions for some kind of lock that would work with OEM(style?) heated grips?

I didn't think heated grips came stock until 06. My 05 have aftermarket.

Vista Cruise is low cost and fairly common but requires a bit of a mod.

I have the Throttlemeister heavy bar ends. These help with the vibes as well and no mods required. About 10 minutes to put on. Only regret is that i got the smooth ones and should have gotten the grooved ones. The smooth are too smooth and my gloves slide too easy on them.

I don't think either have any issues with heated grips.