Cruisers/Sport Touring in Europe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beemerdons - I may be in your neck of the woods in a month or so, & maybe can hook up to buy a beer for you. Priority for off-work time of more than an evening will be riding down to Fort Huachuca, where my brother is TDY. Ever have a problem on dirt roads with the white & green pickups?
trvlr - Sorry to hear the plans changed, but this may be an opportunity. Selling the Feej sounds reasonalbe, as there'll be something sparklier when you come back. But you ought to be able to buy a dual sport when you're over there. Maybe something solid & not too flashy or expensive to have fun on, like a used Honda African twin or Yam TDM?

Bob
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=107221 Bob, we're really looking forward to seeing you next month!

I am heading over to SkooterG's house in a few minutes. Greg is going to do some maintenance work on PHX Jack's FJR.

After wrenching on Jack's FJR, we are going to ride down to San Tan Flats for lunch. I'll let the Arizona FJR Forum know that you are coming to town. As per the link above, I will be in Mexico on my dual sport from THU April 16 through TUE April 27.

My home phone is 480-917-3863 and my e-mail is [email protected] Need to borrow a bike or are you riding to AZ?

https://www.santanflat.com/ When you come to Arizona, we'll have our evening meal here, very popular with Phoenix bikers.

I have four extra road bikes and Skoot has an extra FJR besides "The Dirty Old Whore"; amazing how great DOW still rides!

You're a long time European motorcycle adventurist. What do you say? Lets talk "trvlr" into riding Morocco. Pick up our bikes from mein Freund Stefan at https://www.knopftours.com and ride to Malaga and cross to Tangiers: RIDE MOROCCO!!!!!

Green and white pickups can write you up for a speeding or crossing double yellow violation, but no one I know of in AZ FJR Forum or AZ Beemers has received a ticket from them. You just answer their US Border Patrol questions then on your way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen,

Thanks a lot. I am not disappointed in the new job. I did have my hopes up for touring Europe and was a major reason I bought the Feejer, but I am five years out from military retirement and so the dream is not dead. I already was thinking about the dual sport across Africa in the back of my mind. I am keeping up with the forum when I get there. If I get Morocco (Tunisia is the other option I think - I know the job, not the location), there will be a mass invite and and open welcome for everyone here to use wherever I live as a home base/start point for some riding. I remember as a kid when my father was working in South Africa, there were two British guys and a Dutchman who he was working with. They were riding their motorcycles from Cape of Good Hope to Egypt then Morocco. Their plan was to write a book about it.

The Army has been a pain in the ass, but overall it has been good to me, so I don't complain. I have had the chance to work with some of the best people in the world IMHO.

I used to love riding down near the FT. Huachuca area, some of the most beautiful and open terrain.

Beemerdons, thank you for the offer. I will take you up on it in the future, I have a year deployment first. Thank God the wife is German. I can see the video and have her translate:)

SPAIN • MOROCCO • GIBRALTAR Exotic sights, interesting sounds and smells and lots of oriental flair. Be part of this adventure. AT A GLANCE: START/FINISH: Malaga

DURATION: 15 day vacation, 13 riding days

ROUTE: Total distance 1710 - 1890 miles (2750 - 3040 km).

Daily rides 60 - 250 miles (100 – 400 km).

The entire route runs on good asphalt roads.

ACCOMMODATION: Comfortable middle-class and luxury hotels and kasbahs.

REST DAYS: Marrakesh, Erfoud, Fez

HIGHLIGHTS: Gibraltar, Casablanca, Marrakesh, oriental bazaars, Fez, Erg

Chebbi

ROUTE: 15 DAY VACATION / 13 RIDING ROUTE

DAY 1 ARRIVAL IN MÁLAGA *

DAY 2 Málaga - Ceuta

DAY 3 Ceuta - Chefchaouen

DAY 4 Chefchaouen - Rabat

DAY 5 Rabat - Marrakech

DAY 6 Rest day Marrakech

DAY 7 Marrakech - Ouarzazate

DAY 8 Ouarzazate - Boumalne Dades

DAY 9 Boumalne Dades - Erfoud

DAY 10 Rest day Erfoud

DAY 11 Erfoud - Fes

DAY 12 Rest day Fes

DAY 13 Fes - Chefchaouen

DAY 14 Chefchaouen - Málaga

DAY 15 DEPARTURE FROM MÁLAGA - THE TOUR ENJOY THIS RELAXING TOUR THROUGH THE FASCINATING SCENERY, HISTORY AND CULTURE OF MOROCCO.

A fascinating tour through the beautiful kingdom of

Morocco, a country with rich history and strong Oriental

ties. Visit the royal cities of Fes and Marrakech, travel

the road of the kasbahs and see the diverse landscape

of high mountain ranges, rocky canyons and expansive

deserts. This tour starts in Malaga, Spain and follows

the Costa del Sol to British-ruled Gibraltar, the

southern most tip of Spanish territory. Ferried across

the Strait to North Africa, we land, ironically, in the

Spanish enclave of Ceuta.

Once underway on land, curvy mountain roads between

Orient and Occident greet us as we descend upon

Rabat and Marrakech, set in the foothills of the Grand

Atlas. Suddenly, the oriental influence becomes

prevalent: souks and narrow alleys, colorful carpets and even flamboyantly dressed people and vibrant

distinctly oriental music – it’s truly another world. After traversing the road of the kasbahs and its

magnificent side-canyons, we head high up the Atlas to Ifrane, where snow may still be melting on the

12,000-ft peaks. Fes, the oldest of the “Royal Cities”, waits below on the plain. This city of a half million

inhabitants has a magical atmosphere that Western travelers find fascinating. The last leg of the journey

consists of winding mountain roads lined with young street merchants offering their special treats on the

way back to Malaga. Along with all your souvenirs, you’ll take home countless memories and images to

process from this trip that will take you from the Occident to the Orient and back.

DAY BY DAY

01 Málaga - Ceuta

After leaving Malaga heading south we follow the Andalusian coast, passing the famous town of

Marbella, before we arrive in the British city of Gibraltar. After a short coffee break and a wonderful

view from the “Rock” to the Moroccan Rif Mountains, we continue to the port of Algeciras. Here we

meet the rest of the tour members. Then we take the ferry together, and after a 2-hour trip we

reach the Spanish enclave Ceuta on the African continent!

02 Ceuta - Chefchaouen

We start at the border and we take care of all the paper work together. Even early in the morning

there are a lot of Moroccans around, looking for bargains in the duty free area of Ceuta. Just a few

meters beyond the border we enter a totally different world. It seems like everybody tries to sell

something on the street. Plenty of old cars are driving around and all the people are astonished at

our BMWs. We follow the Mediterranean coast to Tetouan where we have our first opportunity to

get in contact with the oriental life.

03 Chefchaouen - Rabat

After our first night in Morocco, we leave Chefchaouen and continue through the beautiful Rif

Mountains. We cross the “Pont de Loukkos”, the former border between the Spanish protectorate

and the French part of Morocco.

04 Rabat - Marrakech

Today Casablanca is on our route. It is the most important trade and industrial center of Morocco

and possesses the biggest port in North Africa. For all western oriented Moroccans it is a dream to

live in “Casa”, as they call it. Worth seeing is the new Hassan II. Mosque. In the afternoon we ride

on very good roads to the south. We cross enormous rural plains mostly dedicated to agriculture.

Numerous small restaurants are on our way and offer delicious Moroccan cuisine. Before we get to

Marrakech we pass the well-known palm tree gardens and in the background we can already

recognize the profile of the Atlas Mountains. Marrakech brings to mind – stories like “Aladdin” or

“1001 Nights”, and now we are really here!

05 Rest day Marrakech

Today we visit the breathtaking Medina of Marrakech. The morning is the best time to explore the

largest central market or “souq” in the country. Every handicraft art has its own souq, like textilesouq,

coppersmith-souq, woodcarver-souq, leather and carpet markets. For those who would

rather spend a half day on the motorcycle, we recommend a trip to the Oukaimeden Ski area.

06 Marrakech - Ouarzazate

The High Atlas, which forms the natural dividing line to the Sahara, is almost uninhabited. We are

leaving Marrakech climbing up on the spectacular pass road to the Tizi n Tichka. Along our way we

have wonderful views of the beautiful valleys with their terraced fields used for fruit and grain

cultivation. Once on the top of the 2260m high Tizi n Tichka Pass, we are in the fantastic scenery of

the Moroccan mountain world.

07 Ouarzazate - Boumalne Dades

After crossing the Atlas Mountains yesterday we ride our motorcycles today through very dry

areas. On the famous “Route of the Kasbahs” we follow the unique Dades Valley toward Er

Rachidia. As the name says, along this road are numerous fortress-like loam castles. Some of them

are in ruin, but many are still in good condition. Some of them have already installed television

aerials on their roofs and announce the modern times. The road follows the Dades River and we

pass several Kasbahs and beautiful oasis villages with palm trees.

08 Boumalne Dades - Erfoud

Let´s go to the dessert ! The largest “sandbox” in the world awaits us! First, we have our last

excursion into the Atlas Mountains. The magnificent Gorges du Todra begins in Tinerhir. In

comparison to the Dades Canyon, this ravine is a lot narrower and, after few kilometres, you are

right between the red cliffs steeply rising up into the clear blue sky. We continue toward Tinejdad,

where we leave the main route, and through dry and stony plains we reach the caravan base -

Erfoud, which dates back to the Middle Ages.

09 Rest day Erfoud

After a romantic night in our beautiful hotel in the Saharan desert, we have the possibility to

explore the sand dunes of Merzouga on the back of the typical desert transport – camels! Like a

caravan thousands of years ago we disappear behind the dunes. But of course we are in the 21th

century and that´s why we have to do something different: We take some skis and snowboards

with us and slide down the beautiful sand dunes.

10 Erfoud - Fes

Today is our longest riding day. We say good-bye to the desert of Morocco and start along the

beautiful Ziz Valley. After Er-Rachidia we enter the Ziz Canyon, which follows the Ziz River by

numerous palm oases, and is bordered by the steeply rising mountains of the High Atlas. In the

oases fruits are cultivated and children try to sell them on the road. The route continues through

high mountain plains to Midelt. We cross the 2178 m high “Col du Zad” on a wonderful highway to

the Middle Atlas. The vegetation increases and we see the first small forests.

11 Rest day Fes

Do you remember Indiana Jones? Okay, you will feel like him once you are in the old part of town!

Of course it is possible to go for a loop around the city, but at least a half day visit of the old town

is highly recommended!

12 Fes - Chefchaouen

With the Medina of Fez still in our minds, we mount our motorcycles and start back into the Rif

Mountains. On our way we have the opportunity to visit the former Roman settlement Volubilis,

which has the biggest Roman ruins in Morocco. Afterwards we continue through beautiful scenery

to the north. Enjoying this wonderful area with all its olive trees, cork oaks trees and interesting

little villages, we approach in the afternoon the already familiar town of Chefchaouen. On the nice,

little square close to the Kasbah we enjoy our last “Café au lait” enjoying the Moroccan way of life.

13 Chefchaouen - Málaga

For the last time we start the engines and ride on familiar roads back to the Spanish border. The

last views of small villages with their unique mosques close to the road, perhaps one or two more

photo stops – and we cross the border control to Ceuta. From there we continue directly to the

port. Sitting on the ferry we enjoy the last views of the disappearing Rif Mountains. Morocco – what

a country! In the afternoon we reach the European continent and from Algeciras we have a relaxing

ride back to our base hotel in Malaga.