Crunched by a Semi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although it is a good idea to stay out of the blind spot of trucks, and everyone else, there is not always room to stop along side a stopped tractor trailer where he can see you. The truck driver should not have tried to back up without verifying that he was clear. The only good thing in a case of being behind a stopped vehicle is that you have the option to bail out and get out of the way on foot.

philter posted: Someone from the forum mentioned a while ago {rbentnail I think} that stopping to the right or left side of the lane at a stoplight was a prudent thing to do. I have tried to train myself to do this and I remember about half the time.

When you're first in line at a stoplight, look for the sawcuts in the pavement and try to stop directly on one of them. Those are the detectors for the traffic signal. An FJR has enough metal to trigger the detector no matter where you stop, but it's good to stop near the lane line because it also keeps you out of the oily sections of the lane.

If you're not first in line at the stoplight, stopping near the left lane line positions your headlight directly in the driver's outside mirror of the car/truck in front of you. That makes you very visible.

Hanging out in a 18-wheeler's blind spot is asking for trouble. NEVER ride beside or close behind them; they throw off huge chunks of tire, block your view of debris in the travel lane, and (apparently) can back up onto and over your motorbike.

EDIT: Glad you're OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also as an FYI, it is good practice to stay to the left or right behind all vehicles. This gives a quick out if needed. Pulling up centered behind vehicles doesn't give many options to egress. I see Hardley guys do it all the time.

Stay safe,

Dave

Also as an FYI, it is good practice to stay to the left or right behind all vehicles. This gives a quick out if needed. Pulling up centered behind vehicles doesn't give many options to egress. I see Hardley guys do it all the time.
Stay safe,

Dave
The Harley guys can do this because of their loud pipes..........you do know they save lives!

Stay safe,

Dave
The Harley guys can do this because of their loud pipes..........you do know they save lives!
I belivee it, it says so on there non conforming helmets.

Dave

I have to say, that in the last year or so, I have run into a much larger percentage of truck drivers that are just total douche bags. There's always that one, but lately, there have been a bunch of them. I haven't bothered to ask how long they've been driving, so I don't know if it's a new driver thing or a schedule thing.

What I know is the number of citations issued to truck drivers has gone through the roof. Not sure why that is, but be careful around them. There are still some very professional drivers out there, but the clowns are obviously procreating.

I have to say, that in the last year or so, I have run into a much larger percentage of truck drivers that are just total douche bags. There's always that one, but lately, there have been a bunch of them. I haven't bothered to ask how long they've been driving, so I don't know if it's a new driver thing or a schedule thing.
What I know is the number of citations issued to truck drivers has gone through the roof. Not sure why that is, but be careful around them. There are still some very professional drivers out there, but the clowns are obviously procreating.
+1

Agree with comments on never stopping behind a vehicle where they can't see you. Dump trucks, semis, even smaller vans and trucks. This is one situation where I will split ahead if I am able, regardless of legality. I've never been stopped for it, despite doing it several times in full view of police officers. One time, I even passed one that I hadn't spotted from the back.
rolleyes.gif

When you're first in line at a stoplight, look for the sawcuts in the pavement and try to stop directly on one of them. Those are the detectors for the traffic signal. An FJR has enough metal to trigger the detector no matter where you stop, but it's good to stop near the lane line because it also keeps you out of the oily sections of the lane.
One day I'll take you on a little tour of the several I know of that will NEVER change for any bike, including my FJR, no matter where you stop. I think my last count was about 6, within a few miles of where I live.

Washington has a "dead red" law that will let a motorcycle go thru a red lite if the triggers don't pick you up. The law does say that the lite needs to cycle 2 times without letting you go before you can go.
banghead.gif
REALLY!? If it ain't seeing you, it aint gonna cycle twice. I usually wait for about 3 minutes before I go.

Wanted to thank the OP (and everyone else) for contributing to this thread. Saturday, it definitely helped me.

As I approached the sole redlight in a small town, with a railroad track running perpendicular just BEFORE the light, I found myself behind a HUGE camper trailer. I started to get directly behind it, but actually remembered from reading this thread to put myself in a more visible position, so I creeped a little left and clearly saw a portion of the driver's face in the truck side view mirror.

A train approached and the truck, realizing that he was a little too close to the tracks for his comfort, put his transmission in reverse and started to release the brake. He checked his mirrors, and upon seeing me, stopped. I simply released the clutch and pulled over left a bit more, and then waved to him in his mirror to come on back.

No harm, no foul.

I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing had I not read this thread. But then again, I can't say I would either.

Since he lied, I'd find the most scumbag lawyer I could find and sue the crap out of him and his insurance. I'd claim an injury, the whole 9 yards. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for stupidity and human scum. With any luck, he'll get fired because of a law suit and never be hired again to drive on my roads.Just my $.02 worth.
bike.gif
I'm going to take this post as the "tongue in cheek" comment I hope that it was intended to be. But for the record, the original poster could sue the driver and the company he was driving for at the time of the incident, but not the insurance company. They're not the ones who "wronged" the original poster, they merely indemnify the driver and trucking company for their negligence (and stupidity). As for claiming a bodily injury when one didn't suffer an injury, well, that's just fraud, plain and simple. Goes on all the time, but that doesn't make it right. I'm sure as you point out there is a "scumbag" lawyer out there that would take that case and "sue the crap out of him". In fact I'm certain he wouldn't have to look far, there are many "scumbag" lawyers that are unethical and will sue even when they know that no bodily injury actually occurred. But that's part and parcel of the reason all of our insurance rates are so high.

As for the driver, he is a scumbag for lying - no two ways about it. He probably even deserves to be fired for his inexcusable actions. I'm just glad to know that the original poster came out alive, as this could have turned out much worse. As Pants said he learned from this incident and likely avoided a somewhat similar situation just from reading this thread. We should all do the same, as a reminder like this could save any one of our lives in the future. Thanks to the bhkfjr for sharing this unfortunate incident with us.

bhkfjr - I see that this original post was almost 10 days ago. By now. you may or may not have already reached an agreement with the trucking company's insurance company on your property damage claim. If you haven't and they are giving you grief, feel free to drop me a PM. I can likely help guide you through that, and although I am an attorney, I am not soliciting your business, just offering free advice and assistance to a fellow forum member if needed. If they don't treat you right, you may well have to find an attorney to "sue the crap out of them" for the damage to your bike, but again, it won't be the insurance company that you sue, it would be the driver and the company he was driving for at the time of the accident.

*** Quick edit to bhkfjr ***

Another option is filing a collision claim with your own insurance company and then comparing the two offers. If you chose to go with your carrier's offer, yes, you would have to pay your deductible. But, one, your carrier's offer may be higher that the at fault driver's carrier AND two, your carrier will pursue the at fault driver's carrier for reimbursement of monies they paid to you AND for reimbursement of your deductible. Just another option, never hurts to submit that claim to your own carrier, even when the other guy is at fault. It gives you options - plus, always feel free to negotiate with them for a higher payout, whether it be the other guy's insurance or your own - but have the documentation to support your higher demand, they'll certainly have the documentation to support their offer.

Be happy you were not hurt and the police were able to help establishing fault. This was YOUR lucky year! Everything else will be an unplanned adventure.

Simple test: Can you see both of his eyes (mirror or directly)?

But, even if you can see him, will he see you?

Always have a way out.

Glad you are ok with that situation it could have been much worse. Good luck on getting the ride fixed!

Looks like a significant portion of the view directly ahead is ... A BLIND AREA!?!?!? And what are those spikes of blind area? Imperfections in the driver's cornea?

I guess truly safe truck drivers use echo location like bats.

And what are those spikes of blind area?

I think those spikes are probably blocked by mirror or othe crap that are ahead of or to the side of the driver.

The safe spot is 50 meters away in any direction.