Curious about LD

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again the input is fantastic. The 1300 mile ride to ND and back I had rain starting in about LaCrosse coming back. What bothered me the most was the rain and the animals and at 10 PM there wasn't a ton of traffic. If I'm tired that License plate frame isn't going to mean squat to me. I can assure you I'm pulling over and grabbing a room. I know I shouldn't have an issue with the 1000, plus to be honest with you. It's more of the adventure, new roads, new people and new places to eat.

I've also ridden with guys that they want to do 5-6 hrs, mainly all twisties and at least 10-30 miles over the limit. I don't mind that and call me a wimp, but when I get tired and start getting fix targets or not looking through the turns...I find the closest rider and say meet ya at the ranch and I ride my own ride. I like to smell the roses and enjoy the area a bit. Pissed a few people off, but oh well.

Thank you again for the input...I know there's a lot of experience out there

Here's another opinion... I got the urge to join the IBA in 2008. I thought I would just ride the Saddle Sore 1000, get my membership and that would be it. Wrong! After the first ride, I was infected. Now, I have five timed events under my belt and I am thinking about the next one. I have not ridden in the "big" rally, and probably won't. It is more than I want to undertake. However, joining the IBA definitely expanded my horizons. I used to be moderately intimidated by longer distances. Now I realize that long distance simply means more time on the motorcycle. Nothing really magical about that. However, if you want to successfully complete a timed IBA ride, you must invest some time in planning. You must have a route plan and a way to follow it (GPS & map). The plan should include planned gas stops including time for restroom and eating breaks. If you are like me, you might prefer to eat on the road. My tank bag always contains a cold bottle of water and something to eat like jerky, carrots, grapes, bananas, Doritos or Peanut M&M's...or sometimes all of these.

Again, joining the IBA has changed me in the following ways...

1. I am confident in my ability to ride farther comfortably. This has opened up my world to more distant destinations.

2. I am a better ride planner. Timed rides require careful route and stop planning. This habit naturally carries over to everyday long-distance riding too.

3. I am a safer rider. I always wear protective gear, make myself visible to other traffic using bright colors, lights and thoughtful lane placement and am prepared to perform evasive maneuvers when they are required.

I encourage every biker to join the IBA. It has been very good for me.

Mackeroni ......couldn't agree with u more. I think the IBA is a great thing and I've met some nice people. When I talk about LD riding, my friends are like .........Why? Doesn't make any to hit the road , abuse your body and not truly able to take in the sites. I try an explain the experience and then compare it to people that do marathons or or any other extreme sports. It's hard on your body but people that have experienced the zen, high etc probable can't explain it, but it's what they enjoy.

I will say I need to work on the LD part. I can handle the 600-700 miles but going to the 1000 mark would be work. It's been at last 3-4 yrs since I've done 1000 pr more in 24 hrs

There is a point in every LD Ride that I ask myself why the hell I do it. Several points sometimes.

Generally the answer is "Because it is hard to do". Nothing worth having is easy, so I continue to do something hard because I can :D

When I can no longer find a decent answer to the question, I'll stop.

Jeff old buddy. Ya wanna get into the LD stuff eh? Very Kewl, I would first suggest slapping on an RDL seat.

My LD days (dreams) got terminated back in the late 80's, maybe 90ish (jus a young punk!) when me and a buddy rode from our home (Central NY) to Daytona Bch. I was on my Suzuki Katana 1100. I thought it was the best thing since sliced butta! Prior I was on a Yamaha Seka which wasn't chopped liver either (for those days). BUTT!....

After clearing the hills of PA the adrenaline started to get over taken by the sore or numb butt. Already? Damn. Also my hands were getting numb, pretty much everything else was OK. It started playing mind games with me by the time we went thru the Carolina's. Stops were coming a lot more frequently as mentioned above^. I was questioning myself "why the hell did us 2 idiots ever think we could ride 30 hrs straight to Florida?".

We made it, slept on the beach for a day and finally found our hotel when we could achieve vertical-ness. After this fond memory, I can clearly say the LD stuff isn't for me. Granted the bikes nowadays are much more comfortable,and having options like Cruise really, really help... I just want to ride in comfort the whole time which means for me, under 1K days. Perfect for me, and I'm not a big slab fan, but I'm all ears in hearing the stories about the dedicated LD guys and their journey's (VERY Interesting, and some characters I might add also!). I'll just stay in the short to medium day rides (~500mi/day) with a clean motel, hot shower and cold beer as my goal at the end of the day.

Good Luck Jeff, keep in touch bro!

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect for me, and I'm not a big slab fan, but I'm all ears in hearing the stories about the dedicated LD guys and their journey's
Next weekend I, and a bunch of others, will be riding around 1400 miles, all in Colorado, and only about 100 miles of my route is on Interstate. Some of it will be on dirt roads of varying quality, and in the dark
biggrin.png
It will be my first real trip on the FJR.

We have 32 hours.

It should be fun (afterwards), and I'll put up a link so folk can follow along. Others probably will too either here or in other places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff old buddy. Ya wanna get into the LD stuff eh? Very Kewl, I would first suggest slapping on an RDL seat.

My LD days (dreams) got terminated back in the late 80's, maybe 90ish (jus a young punk!) when me and a buddy rode from our home (Central NY) to Daytona Bch. I was on my Suzuki Katana 1100. I thought it was the best thing since sliced butta! Prior I was on a Yamaha Seka which wasn't chopped liver either (for those days). BUTT!....

After clearing the hills of PA the adrenaline started to get over taken by the sore or numb butt. Already? Damn. Also my hands were getting numb, pretty much everything else was OK. It started playing mind games with me by the time we went thru the Carolina's. Stops were coming a lot more frequently as mentioned above^. I was questioning myself "why the hell did us 2 idiots ever think we could ride 30 hrs straight to Florida?".

We made it, slept on the beach for a day and finally found our hotel when we could achieve vertical-ness. After this fond memory, I can clearly say the LD stuff isn't for me. Granted the bikes nowadays are much more comfortable,and having options like Cruise really, really help... I just want to ride in comfort the whole time which means for me, under 1K days. Perfect for me, and I'm not a big slab fan, but I'm all ears in hearing the stories about the dedicated LD guys and their journey's (VERY Interesting, and some characters I might add also!). I'll just stay in the short to medium day rides (~500mi/day) with a clean motel, hot shower and cold beer as my goal at the end of the day.

Good Luck Jeff, keep in touch bro!

You pretty much nailed what happens to me on long trips to a tee. It seems like 500-600 miles in one day is more than enough. I thought I had it in me and like I said accomplished 1300 miles in like 18-19 hrs maybe 4 yrs ago. Now I don't have a clue how the hell I did it. Some of these guys especially like pathfinder101 "Tony" I'm not sure how this guy doesn't it. He's a frecken machine. Keep in touch hope to catch up with u on the NS trip.

Jeff

Perfect for me, and I'm not a big slab fan, but I'm all ears in hearing the stories about the dedicated LD guys and their journey's
Next weekend I, and a bunch of others, will be riding around 1400 miles, all in Colorado, and only about 100 miles of my route is on Interstate. Some of it will be on dirt roads of varying quality, and in the dark
biggrin.png
It will be my first real trip on the FJR.

We have 32 hours.

It should be fun (afterwards), and I'll put up a link so folk can follow along. Others probably will too either here or in other places.

Colorado is really fun Twigg, I haven't been out there in about 5 yrs tho :( and 1-1/2 days to do the 1400mi sounds very challenging without the I's thrown-in. Look forward to your (Spotwalla?) link and of course your RR here :)

Have fun and be safe!

You pretty much nailed what happens to me on long trips to a tee. It seems like 500-600 miles in one day is more than enough. I thought I had it in me and like I said accomplished 1300 miles in like 18-19 hrs maybe 4 yrs ago. Now I don't have a clue how the hell I did it. Some of these guys especially like pathfinder101 "Tony" I'm not sure how this guy doesn't it. He's a frecken machine. Keep in touch hope to catch up with u on the NS trip.
Jeff

It's whatever puts the smile on your face right? I guess you and I are happy with the 400-500mi days. If I have to do slab, then more miles of course as that comes more easily (and boring!). My g/f Debbie is maxed at about 300/day, so I ride solo most of the time.

On the NS/ Cape Britain / Newfoundland trip in August, you should meetup with us for the ride-in (up). I've got our hop-over hotels booked and can give them to you (if you jump over the fence and get in on this). PM me!

Ok I was following along until Twigg threw in the 1400 miles or whatever he said ...... On dirt roads??? Thinking Twigg may need help. Lol no offense meant. Dirt roads really? Don't think my Mistress (FJR) would like that :)

Ok I was following along until Twigg threw in the 1400 miles or whatever he said ...... On dirt roads??? Thinking Twigg may need help. Lol no offense meant. Dirt roads really? Don't think my Mistress (FJR) would like that :)
lol ... On the route I have planned I think about 20 miles will be on dirt, but it will be dark. I'm relying on Justin's LR5s to help there, and the kind loan of a Gerbrings Jacket to keep me warm.

On the last Rally I took my 1986 Venture Royale down a 7 mile dirt road. That thing probably weighed around 1100 pounds all told, with me on it ... It did okay :D

lol ... On the route I have planned I think about 20 miles will be on dirt, but it will be dark. I'm relying on Justin's LR5s to help there, and the kind loan of a Gerbrings Jacket to keep me warm.

On the last Rally I took my 1986 Venture Royale down a 7 mile dirt road. That thing probably weighed around 1100 pounds all told, with me on it ... It did okay
biggrin.png
There's dirt roads - and there's rain-saturated dirt roads. I often took my '75 GL1000 on two-tracks (like up into the Flattops), gravel roads and whatnot. Then there was the time near Granby going downhill on a mudded-up road that was so gooey it crammed itself in between the front fender and the tire. Fell every 5 feet until I got to the paved highway and could peel all the slime out of there. Of course, a GW really doesn't fall all the way, just sort of leans over like a tired fat man against a wall.

Been there, I feel your pain.

My FJR is a whole "wife" lighter than the Venture Royale ... so hopefully I will be okay unless we are two-up :D