Just finished first ride..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought Yorksman's 2007 FJR this weekend and finally had a chance to put a few miles on it. It was a real pleasure to meet Yorksman and he patiently introduced me to the platform and clearly gave me a good deal on a well cared for machine.
The few miles I rode today were after a several practice runs rolling it into and out of the garage, and onto and off of the center stand. I'm a bit apprehensive about the weight and have only really ridden off-road and dual-sport/ADV in the past. Most recently a Versys-X 300 that I still adore and will probably remain my go to for commuting. But I'm blown around on it often enough to pucker levels to be uncomfortable taking on a really long trip.

I carefully studied what was available given a limited budget and probably questionably wise plan to ride from NC to Eastern OR this fall. This took me about a week going from Goldwing to Voyager to V-twin cruisers and ultimately deciding I'm just not cut-out for the big baggers. It might be vanity or maybe MX background but I can't reconcile real comfort (and a CB radio) with riding a motorcycle. Not to mention all that "stuff". It seems like cheating. But I may wish I would have cheated after making it to Pendleton, OR.

So this evening in a few miles I went from essentially being afraid of this beast to really enjoying having it pretty-much effortlessly doing what I want as long as I was moving.

There will continue to be a learning curve, but I can tell that I'm going to be right at home on the FJR and can't wait for the weekend to really ride it.

I do most vehicle maintenance myself and so will probably be back often looking for advice.

I bought Yorksman's 2007 FJR this weekend and finally had a chance to put a few miles on it. It was a real pleasure to meet Yorksman and he patiently introduced me to the platform and clearly gave me a good deal on a well cared for machine.
The few miles I rode today were after a several practice runs rolling it into and out of the garage, and onto and off of the center stand. I'm a bit apprehensive about the weight and have only really ridden off-road and dual-sport/ADV in the past. Most recently a Versys-X 300 that I still adore and will probably remain my go to for commuting. But I'm blown around on it often enough to pucker levels to be uncomfortable taking on a really long trip.

I carefully studied what was available given a limited budget and probably questionably wise plan to ride from NC to Eastern OR this fall. This took me about a week going from Goldwing to Voyager to V-twin cruisers and ultimately deciding I'm just not cut-out for the big baggers. It might be vanity or maybe MX background but I can't reconcile real comfort (and a CB radio) with riding a motorcycle. Not to mention all that "stuff". It seems like cheating. But I may wish I would have cheated after making it to Pendleton, OR.

So this evening in a few miles I went from essentially being afraid of this beast to really enjoying having it pretty-much effortlessly doing what I want as long as I was moving.

There will continue to be a learning curve, but I can tell that I'm going to be right at home on the FJR and can't wait for the weekend to really ride it.

I do most vehicle maintenance myself and so will probably be back often looking for advice.
Welcome from Tucson Az. trust me you will fall in love every time you swing your leg over and gas it. I have had about every type of bike and the FJR is at the top.

Welcome, from just up the road by the NC Zoo. I nearly ended up at Skylight Inn BBQ Saturday. Landed on Oak Island instead.
Just the ride from Ayden to Oak Island is a significant trip! This is probably common knowledge but I've discovered that if I ask Google Maps for bicycle directions it takes me on the scenic and less linear routes. And those would be particularly nice between Ayden and Wilmington.

Ok, I understand you're new and all ;) but give a few weeks of riding and you'll find 137 miles from Ayden to Oak Island is NOT "a significant trip". Most FJR-ers will ride that far for an ice cream cone, not even a real meal, then ride home. Really, I remember when I thought 150 miles was significant but now, well, I didn't stay the night at Oak Island. I saw the lighthouse, walked the boardwalk a little, had a burger and went home. 402 round trip.

I'm gonna send you a PM, keep an eye out for it.