Current Front Tire Mileage King?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Although this is probably destined for NEPRT, I'm putting the question out there and sharing my experience with a few of the possible contenders. I have done all of the searches but it is difficult to distill RELATIVE performance out of MANY long threads.

For a major (long) trip next year, I wish to try to find a front tire that is likely to make the entire tour. I am expecting to cover 12,000+ miles in a one month trip (my 60th b'day present from me to me). I will be riding solo and without a trailer but moderately loaded with camping gear etc. I said I wouldn't do it again, but I am going to Darkside the rear tire in the interest of eliminating that from the equation. I did 25,000 miles on a Michelin Exalto a couple of years ago and found it to be "OK" although not spectacular (General Tire AS-03 this time). Please keep in mind that, for the purposes of this discussion, mileage is the primary consideration although really crappy handling is off the table. This trip is going to be more sight-seeing than canyon carving. If I can't come up with something that is likely to go the distance, I will probably have to make arrangements for a tire swap (along with an oil change) somewhere past the mid-point. Listing the possibilities:

Michelin PR2 - I have run a number of these and found them to be quite long-lived and I think they could make the trip but I have never liked their behavior after mid-life (5,000 miles or so). Noisy and pronounced ridge in the middle but will consider based upon expected life.

Michelin PR3 - Liked the initial feel better than the PR2 but lifetime was less. They also were not very nice after mid-life. Don't think the PR3 will make it.

Michelin PR4GT - Unknown (to me). Would be very interested in some longevity reports as well as mid-life performance.

Pirelli Angel GT - I ran a set of these and not only did they not exhibit the long life the manufacturer claimed, it is the only tire that I have ever run that caused significant wobble/head shake after 4,000 miles or so. Very nice at first but won't go back to them.

Continental Contimotion - Adequate tires and very low cost. Definitely not a contender for the trip because they won't hold up for the required miles. I would use them again for local riding.

Metzeler Interact Z8 - Less than happy about this one! OK initial feel but fairly short life and poor mid-life noise and performance. A definite "No".

Other Metzelers???

Dunlop Roadsmart - I ran one of the original Roadsmarts and they didn't last at all; especially the front. No idea about recent versions of this tire. Anyone with recent experience?

Bridgestone 023GT - Are these still available? Haven't run one but have heard pretty good things about them.

Bridgestone T30GT - Haven't tried one. Heard rumors about being inferior to the 023's but no direct experience.

Avon?? - Don't know any of these.

Anything else I should consider? I would appreciate some feedback with comparative experience between brands and specific experience with the ones I haven't tried. No need to be too specific about actual miles because I have found that there is an unbelievable range of mileage that different riders get out of their tires. I'm probably about in the midrange - never got less than 4,000 miles out of any tire or more than 12,000 miles.

Back in 2010 FJRRob1300, Huron52 and I rode 19KM on a trip. I had a PR2 on the front for the entire trip. About 5 days of the trip were in a heatwave (90F-100+F). The whole thing with a CT on the back. Ya, the PR2 was all but pooched at the end.

If I were to do it today, I give the nod to a PR4GT. I currently have about 17KM on the set. The front looks like it'll go another 10KM easy. Most of that was riding loaded - two up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BT 023 is pretty consistent over the life of the tire. On my Kali trip a few years ago, I used a PR2 front and rear. I would not use a PR2 front again. It took away from the motorcycling experience halfway through the trip. I would recco... A BT 023GT front and schedule a replacement somewhere along the trip.

Actually, I would recco regular tires and schedule a replacement for both. It's no big deal unless you are really tight on money...

I just pulled a front 023 off last month with just under 14k miles on it. Cupped a bit and felt like it was made of cement but it did pass a last minute NYS inspection the week before I changed it. Last two rears with it were PR2s.

The BT 023 is pretty consistent over the life of the tire. On my Kali trip a few years ago, I used a PR2 front and rear. I would not use a PR2 front again. It took away from the motorcycling experience halfway through the trip. I would recco... A BT 023GT front and schedule a replacement somewhere along the trip.
Actually, I would recco regular tires and schedule a replacement for both. It's no big deal unless you are really tight on money...
The money is only a (small) part of the issue. I would rather avoid losing a half day or more to change out tires. Worse if I have to go through a dealer (time & $$). As I mentioned, the trip is more about sightseeing rather than twisties and I am OK with the CT for this. I see that Motorcycle Superstore is still listing the BT023GT...

I average 25k (Miles) on my front PR2s. My current front should surpass my personal record of 28k. I have done 7 10/10ths (10k in 10 days) and one IBR (and home from Pittsburgh) I have never had to swap a front tire mid ride.

Based on your needs, another vote for the 023GT. Will be toast, but should make the entire trip, have neutral handling and keeps its profile until the very end.

Good luck!

--G

While the PR2 may last longer, the 023GT remains neutral right to the

very end. Rides and handling are consistent throughout its life.

All I can say is I get even wear out of my PR2's and I am on my 4'th set. Tire pressure is the key to even wear IMO. That and not cranking the crap out of it through the twisties. All bets are off at that point.

Dave

Based on your needs, another vote for the 023GT. Will be toast, but should make the entire trip, have neutral handling and keeps its profile until the very end.
Good luck!

--G
And yet another vote. I have 13,000 miles on mine with prolly 4,000 left. Slight cupping but still handles neutral and grips well, plus it has good bump compliance (comp. to PR2). I've got T30's on deck but would run an 023GT again in a heartbeat.

Ross I started out with an 023 on the back. and finished with a PR3

I just bought a Metz Roadtec Z6 for the front. It had a PR2 on when I bought it, but no idea how many miles. It was pretty lumpy and the tread was gone on the right side. T30 was my first choice, but the Metz was about $10 less and a great reputation.

Wow, some of you have gotten amazing wear from BT023 and PR's. My original BT023's have 9100 miles on them. The front tire has 3/32 of remaining tread. That is about half tread. The rear tire is just about to the wear bar. I think if you keep the front tire inflated to 39-40psi and you are not riding aggressively in the turns, you could make the trip on either a BT023 or PR2. I have had good luck with PR2's and have a new set ready to go.

For another piece for your puzzle, I still have the set of PR-4's I did my cross country trip on--and they had almost 1,000 miles on them before I left. Total on the set when I got home was 10,600 miles, and pushing 11K now. I'll replace them pretty soon, and definitely before I set off for any distance, but I'll ride them around town without much concern for now. Maybe not once the roads get wet, if they ever do here again. Both tires show plenty of wear, but it's by no means critical. I rode solo, but heavily loaded; I weigh about 220.

13085c19-f49b-47ea-a828-2302a5042878_zpsfcac164f.jpg
I was on there too, most of the time.

Great feedback, everyone. Thank you very much!

On the basis of what I have read in this thread, it looks like the BT023GT's might be the way to go; assuming they are still available next year. I haven't heard much about the T30GT in terms of life expectancy in comparison to the 023. Might consider the PR4GT as well - might be nice to have a bit more wet weather stickiness. I think either will do it for me as long as I don't go much over the expected 12-14 thousand miles that I am currently planning. While the PR2 would probably make it as well, I have never been really happy with them with respect to wear pattern, noise and handling after 5-6000 miles. (I do keep a close eye on tire pressure; 40-41 psi).

A mid-trip Walmart oil change should be all that's needed.

I believe eltorojoe ran the T30s and they seemed to wear faster than the 023 GTs. My memory might be mistaken, but that's my recollection.

I got 10,140 miles out of one BT023GT front. That was probably 7000+ miles touring and the balance on our fun Arkansas twisty roads, so I don't really doubt I'd have made 12,000 miles pure touring. Just running down a highway without a lot of turning or front braking, a front tire can last a long time.

I normally change a set and just throw away what front I've got left, so that's the only time I've run a front to the wear bars.

I have run one set of T30s, and I think that set wore about like BT023s would have.