Current Front Tire Mileage King?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only set of 023s I ran came w/ the bike used, so I dunno how many miles I got outta 'em.

My (Front) mileage king is a PRII; got damn near 7,500 miles outta one once. (Prolly averaged 6.2K outta the 18 sets I ran.) Dun got 7K outta a T30 front recently.

The grip, turn in, and mid corner feel is much better w/ T30s than PRIIs.
punk.gif
Dunno what's better on the slab though; I don't slab much.

I have much more limited experience then you guys.

The BT023 that came on the bike wore pretty even but was worn out at 6,200 miles. Just a little bit of a flat spot in the middle but no cupping. Was still handling fine down to the last.

I replaced it with a Pilot Road 4 GT. I have about 6,000 miles on it now. I would say it's about half used up right now. I just might get 12K out of it. Now it's not wearing quite as smooth. It has a little bit of cupping. Also right where it transitions to the softer compound seems to be wearing. Probably will not be a problem for me since I live in Florida. It is a noisier tire, but that's not a problem cause I don't hear it with the ear plugs.

From my experience I think I could make a PR4GT last a 12K trip if spirited riding was kept to a minimum.

The BT023 that came on the bike wore pretty even but was worn out at 6,200 miles. Just a little bit of a flat spot in the middle but no cupping. Was still handling fine down to the last.

I replaced it with a Pilot Road 4 GT. I have about 6,000 miles on it now. I would say it's about half used up right now. I just might get 12K out of it. Now it's not wearing quite as smooth. It has a little bit of cupping. Also right where it transitions to the softer compound seems to be wearing. Probably will not be a problem for me since I live in Florida. It is a noisier tire, but that's not a problem cause I don't hear it with the ear plugs.

From my experience I think I could make a PR4GT last a 12K trip if spirited riding was kept to a minimum.
Don't know the technical reasons why, but the OEM 023's do not seem to wear as well as the replacement (non OEM) 023GT's. I know mfg's. can spec out tires that keep the same model designation but are different in ways.

Don't know the technical reasons why, but the OEM 023's do not seem to wear as well as the replacement (non OEM) 023GT's. I know mfg's. can spec out tires that keep the same model designation but are different in ways.
On mine, the OEM tires were BT023F. And that didn't mean front; the rear, for instance was marked BT023F R ;) I assumed that meant (F)actory, but I'm probably wrong.

At any rate, the OEM BT023Fs lasted 3436 miles to the wear bars. The replacement BT023GTs lasted 8589 miles to the wear bars. But to be fair, the first set was used up on Arkansas twisties, and the second set was used up on two tours -- one to Colorado, and one to Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.

Speaking to a local tire dealer he tells me that OEM tires and replacement tires are not the same. OEM tires are a tad thinner and lighter he tells me. Don't shoot me. But he says if you weigh them the OEM tires are lighter.

Just throwing that out there.

On my Kali trip a few years ago, I used a PR2 front and rear. I would not use a PR2 front again. It took away from the motorcycling experience halfway through the trip.
I seem to recall you plugging one of them a couple times one day. ;-p

But you saw me scrub most of the last miles off my set of PR2s the 3 days we rode together that trip, too. Hard to say a plug more adversely affects handling than exposed cord, I suppose.

I'm still running PR2s front and rear. Maybe I just don't know any better, since it's all I've run on that bike since I switched over fro the original PR around 2007. I've got another set to mount for next summer's tour and I may hafta try out what you guys are suggesting then.

I'm running a PR4 GT on the front and a CT on the rear. So far, I have 13,600 miles on the front and haven't hit the wear bars yet. No cupping either. I'm running 40 psi. Miles have been mostly highway, one up, fully loaded. My next tire will be another PR4 GT.

I'm running a PR4 GT on the front and a CT on the rear. So far, I have 13,600 miles on the front and haven't hit the wear bars yet. No cupping either. I'm running 40 psi. Miles have been mostly highway, one up, fully loaded. My next tire will be another PR4 GT.
How is the wear pattern - typical Michelin dual-compound trapezoidal shape? Handling and noise? These were issues I have had with multiple sets of PR2 and the one set of PR3 that I have used.

Hey Ross,

I will get panned for saying this but I had a Venture before the FJR and some guys that darksided their ventures or goldwings, voyagers, etc also put a rear tire on front for longer life. In order for this to work they had to put the rear on the rim so the tire would rotate "backwards" because of the design differences between front and rear tires. I'm not recommending it and I'm not sure there is a rear size which will fit the FJR. Lots of discussion on this on Venturerider.org and other sites.

Maybe you can be the first 'rearsider'.

FWIW

Rick

Hey Ross,
I will get panned for saying this but I had a Venture before the FJR and some guys that darksided their ventures or goldwings, voyagers, etc also put a rear tire on front for longer life. In order for this to work they had to put the rear on the rim so the tire would rotate "backwards" because of the design differences between front and rear tires. I'm not recommending it and I'm not sure there is a rear size which will fit the FJR. Lots of discussion on this on Venturerider.org and other sites.

FWIW

Rick
I also had a Venture before I bought the FJR! I never tried a CT on that bike.

A CT on the back with a rear MC tire on the front (reverse direction) is sometimes referred to as double-darksiding. I haven't heard of anyone doing it on the FJR. While my planned trip will be long, I don't think I am going to that extreme.

From the responses I have seen on this thread, I SHOULD be able to make it with a new PR2, PR4GT or BT023GT as long as I keep total mileage to something less than 15,000 miles. If I find myself running out of front tire before I'm ready to come home, I'll try to arrange a tire drop-ship to a willing forum-ite (with a tire changer) and deal with it on the road. Otherwise, a dealer visit will be in order. My trip will include a lot of nice roads but also quite a bit of straight slab riding to get from one area to another.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the wear pattern - typical Michelin dual-compound trapezoidal shape? Handling and noise? These were issues I have had with multiple sets of PR2 and the one set of PR3 that I have used.
I can't speak to handling - I run a CT on the rear :)

Here are some pix at 13,600 miles:

IMG_20141106_062147.jpg

IMG_20141106_062128.jpg

IMG_20141106_062115.jpg

Some trapezoidal shape but much less than I have seen on PR2. Not bad for 14,000 miles. I'll be running a CT for next year's trip as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ross,

FWIW

Rick
I also had a Venture before I bought the FJR! I never tried a CT on that bike.

A CT on the back with a rear MC tire on the front (reverse direction) is sometimes referred to as double-darksiding. I haven't heard of anyone doing it on the FJR. While my planned trip will be long, I don't think I am going to that extreme.

From the responses I have seen on this thread, I SHOULD be able to make it with a new PR2, PR4GT or BT023GT as long as I keep total mileage to something less than 15,000 miles. If I find myself running out of front tire before I'm ready to come home, I'll try to arrange a tire drop-ship to a willing forum-ite (with a tire changer) and deal with it on the road. Otherwise, a dealer visit will be in order. My trip will include a lot of nice roads but also quite a bit of straight slab riding to get from one area to another.
Maybe it'd be useful to arrange a list of potential drop sites beforehand. I know I'd be very happy to hold one for you.

Maybe it'd be useful to arrange a list of potential drop sites beforehand. I know I'd be very happy to hold one for you.
Good idea and thanks for the offer. I might be through your area but it is more likely to be in the first half of the trip rather than toward the end. I'll contact some folks once the itinerary is a little more "carved in stone".

I'm not much help to you for making a tire choice, as I've always gotten more than 12k miles out of my fronts. However, if you happen to be in NW Ohio and need to change a tire, we can make that happen easy enough and it'll only cost you about an hour of riding time. I've got all the tools to change and balance them.

I'm not much help to you for making a tire choice, as I've always gotten more than 12k miles out of my fronts. However, if you happen to be in NW Ohio and need to change a tire, we can make that happen easy enough and it'll only cost you about an hour of riding time. I've got all the tools to change and balance them.
Thanks, I'll keep your offer in mind. Lots of time between now and then to make decisions.

Best wearing tire I found on my last sport/tourer was the Metzeler. Best riding is a low mileage PR2. What's shipping on the 2014/2015 bikes?

I got 6000 miles out of my OEM 023's. The front was to the wear bars, the rear had about 2K left in it . All around riding, some two up but no long distance high speed or excessive (above avg) cornering or breaking. First time I have ever wore a front out before the rear on any bike (14 FJR my Yami)

Installed PR4's and hope to get 10-12K out of them and I would be very happy.

I got 6000 miles out of my OEM 023's. The front was to the wear bars, the rear had about 2K left in it . All around riding, some two up but no long distance high speed or excessive (above avg) cornering or breaking. First time I have ever wore a front out before the rear on any bike (14 FJR my Yami)
Installed PR4's and hope to get 10-12K out of them and I would be very happy.
The OEM 023's are apparently not made from the same stuff as the aftermarket BT023GT. I think your mileage on them is fairly typical. I will be watching for some more reports on the PR4GTs before I decide. I don't have to worry about wearing out more tires between now and next spring!