Dancin in the Dark

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought

While making a sharp turn in my driveway My right handlebar came in contact with my tank bag .

The lights totally went out . Could have to do with the relay that turns the lights on after start.

Other than that lights on my 03 have given excellent service

Boy, I'm glad to hear that the AAA service is good for motorcycles. I haven't used it yet and would of hated the fact that every year I have been spending all this extra money for AAA motorcycle towing for nothing.

By the way, Because of my work schedule I ride at night all of the time. I really hate it because for one I can't see as far ahead as I normally do during day and two I just can't see what's on road in front of me utill I'm pratically on top of it. I basically only ride at night because I have to. I had buddy once try to convince me to go ride the Dragon at night. There's no way in hell that would be fun to me, because you just can't see what's around the corner at night.

By the way, Because of my work schedule I ride at night all of the time. I really hate it because for one I can't see as far ahead as I normally do during day and two I just can't see what's on road in front of me untill I'm practically on top of it.
Solteks: Artificial daylight, big enough to go fast....

Aux lights should always source their power from a completely unique circuit, one that services the lights, and the lights only.Which, I'm guessing, Don, is the way you'll be wiring them during this repair. ;)
Well, foolish me, probably not this time. I'm working too many hours to work on this myself, so back to Ivan it goes. Will probably repair it as configured. I really need to learn how to take the plastic off. Once to the functional motobike, I'm good to go.

Thanks for the link to the petzl. Looks like a good product. The bike goes into surgery today. Who needs to sleep anyway?
I'd like to find an normally open switch that would fit over the left grip. I think Jeff (BikeEffects) has one for two way radios, but I think it's a momentary switch; I don't want to hold the switch down for lights. I also don't want to lift my hand from the grip to activate the Solteks. There has to be what I need out here somewhere.

I'd like to find an normally open switch that would fit over the left grip.
This is what I did. Not my picture, but the same concept. Very convenient and quickly accessible for unexpected switch-offs.

65467289-M.jpg

I put the switch in the left handle bar housing for the turn signals on my 04. I took out the cover plate for the flash to pass switch that we do not get and put in a small rocker switch. I had to do a little sanding to get it to fit. When I bought the switch I also bought a rubber cover for it and used silcon to seal it up. So far no problems and it is easy to access to turn off and on.
Here's the how-to.

Just a thought While making a sharp turn in my driveway My right handlebar came in contact with my tank bag .

The lights totally went out .
Most likely, from what you described, it was exactly that: your tankbag struck the starter switch, but since your bike was already running, the starter doesn't actually engage, but the system does cancel your already lit-up headlamps since the relay thought you were trying to start the motor.