Darla install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alley Cat - I see you mounted the volume control on the handle bar. Did you use the hardware Clearwater sent you? It looks like you used the upper bolt on the handle bar assembly.
The bolt and spacer came with the kit from Clearwater. The correct bolt and spacer are in the bag with the fender brackets and NOT with the control and little L bracket. The one with the control is not the correct size so just leave it aside. Yes I did use the upper bolt location on the handle bar assembly. The cable from the volume control just makes it around the clutch fluid reservoir without excessive bending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alley Cat - I see you mounted the volume control on the handle bar. Did you use the hardware Clearwater sent you? It looks like you used the upper bolt on the handle bar assembly.
The bolt and spacer came with the kit from Clearwater. The correct bolt and spacer are in the bag with the fender brackets and NOT with the control and little L bracket. The one with the control is not the correct size so just leave it aside. Yes I did use the upper bolt location on the handle bar assembly. The cable from the volume control just makes it around the clutch fluid reservoir without excessive bending.
Thanks, I was wondering about that smaller bolt in the volume control bag.

Hmmm - I don't have the bolt or spacer on the light bracket bag. I'll check with Clearwater or scrounge through my stuff here for sumpin dat woiks.

AlleyCat posted: Thanks guys for assisting with the photos..... I found my mistake and corrected my post. Lots of photos now.
weirdsmiley.gif
Yes, and thanks for posting them -- and to those that assisted. With my limited mechanical skills, I appreciate the text and photo help from those who have boldly gone before.

I'll be installing Darla's tomorrow on my FJR and will have this thread open in the garage with me.

Thanks for this tutorial!

Bappo

I have a set of krista/erica arriving tomorrow for my 2014. I deviated from my staunch plug-and-play only policy, and Im anxious about the install causing problems to the point that Ive considered sending them back unopened. Doom on photobucket. Ill bet those were good pics up there. We shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you don't decide to send them back Bill.

When I finally decided it was time to install an older set of Clearwater lights I'd bought from this forum, I felt all kinds of anxiety.

These lights seemed far, at first inspection, to be more complicated than other lights I've installed. But with help from our fellow members here, it turned out better than I had hoped. When you seem to get stuck at some point during your install, step back, take a deep breath, and reach out to the forum. There's a lot of knowledgeable folks here. Or, you can just call the good ppl @ Clearwater Lights.

Bottom line, you'll be quite happy with your new lights once they're installed.

At this point I would normally wish you luck on the install, but I don't think you'll need it.

If you need some photos for assistance, PM an email address and I can send you my install photos. I still have my pics even if Photobucket is dead to me. I always keep backups.

If you need some photos for assistance, PM an email address and I can send you my install photos. I still have my pics even if Photobucket is dead to me. I always keep backups.

Bill - I installed them on my 14. The photos from AlleyCat helped a lot. Hell, come up to Greer or I'll come down and help ya if it gets to that.

griff

I need to see how to repost the photos seeing that Photobucket gave the proverbial finger to its users. Ill put it on my ToDo list....

I subscribed to smugmug. Not a smooth interface, but I can host. Thanks for all the help guys. I am thankful to know so many helpful and knowledgeable folks.

https://flic.kr/p/CLbHRa

This is what the hook on the back of the relay looks like. To remove the relay, this hook has to come off the rubber mount that it is clipped to. You may need to wiggle it side-to-side and patience is required. You will need to move the wire look above it to allow the relay to move up.

https://flic.kr/p/22pE9kH

The connections for the positap : red wire from the relay goes to the green wire that has a blue line running along it...... white relay wire gets 'positapped' to the yellow wire (if my memory is correct, the white wire is the high beam trigger that gets the Clearwater lights to go to 100% power)

Latest posts