Dash lights out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, guess that I have something important to do this winter!

Not sure about the Gen I, but pulling the nose off a Gen II isn't that bad. Maybe an hour from putting the bike on the centerstand to putting the nose piece on the bench. I have done it twice with no drama on the '07. Maybe worse for the '04? Anyway, I had put it off for some time because I thought it would be really bad and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. Good luck.

Nah, 1st gen is no harder, once you know the secret. You take off the two lower panels, the inner dash panels, the windshield and the little inner panel behind the windshield mechanism. Then disconnect the wiring and the four screws from behind that hold the headlamop bucket on the subframe and the whole assembly of the nose cone still attached to the headlamp comes right off.

The four screws are the secret. First time I did it I didn't know about them and it was a serious PITA trying to get the 3 nose cone panels off while leaving the headlamp bucket on the frame. But I proved that even that can be done. ;)

I guess that I'm going to find out how difficult it is. I have a headlight that is taking a swan dive. I may just wait until I do this... & replace them then.

I guess that I'm going to find out how difficult it is. I have a headlight that is taking a swan dive. I may just wait until I do this... & replace them then.
You're not a real FJR owner until you've either had the nose off...or paid somebody twice the time it should take. I'll testify the four screws (a shorty philips screwdriver pays dividends) is the road to getting stuff done quickly. I'm down to 13 seconds flat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel bad, I tried and failed miserably last yr to get the nose off my '07. The damn thing thoroughly whooped my butt for 3 days until I finally gave up. I really need to get to the windshield tracks but I'm considering selling/trading the bike rather than try to get the front off again. No matter what anyone says about it being not all that hard is IMHO completely full of crap.

No matter what anyone says about it being not all that hard is IMHO completely full of crap.
youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

It never occurred to me when I did it the first time (and wrote the post referenced earlier for fairing and cowl removal) but it has since been pointed out that it's possible to get the nose and upper fairings off without removing the lowers. See post #32 below.

Remove the inner dash panels, remove the 3 bolts on each side that join the upper fairing to the lowers, remove the bolts, rivets, whatever that are on the underside of the nose above the fender, remove the windshield and bracket, remove the mirrors, and now you can unplug the headlights and remove the four screws holding the headlight assembly onto the front subframe and pull the whole nose forward. You don't have to remove the sides, which means those difficult inner panels on the lower sides and the front marker light electrical connections.

But you CANNOT access the panel without removing the nose. No how, no way.

Oh.... the nose does not have to come off to replace a headlight bulb. I don't know what "I have a headlight that is taking a swan dive" means, but unless the structure is crapping out, bodywork is not part of that fix.....

With a right angled Phillips scewdriver (preferably ratcheting) you can get the panel screws through the center access panel, under the windshield. That's how I did it.

All this helpful discussion about replacing the instrument lamps is making me feel guilty. I bought new ones about three years ago and never installed them. Maybe I'll get motivated and do it this winter.

You're not a real FJR owner until you've either had the nose off...or paid somebody twice the time it should take. I'll testify the four screws (a shorty philips screwdriver pays dividends) is the road to getting stuff done quickly. I'm down to 13 seconds flat!

Something to be said for that Peruvian Marching Powder.

Nah, 1st gen is no harder, once you know the secret. You take off the two lower panels, the inner dash panels, the windshield and the little inner panel behind the windshield mechanism. Then disconnect the wiring and the four screws from behind that hold the headlamop bucket on the subframe and the whole assembly of the nose cone still attached to the headlamp comes right off.
The four screws are the secret. First time I did it I didn't know about them and it was a serious PITA trying to get the 3 nose cone panels off while leaving the headlamp bucket on the frame. But I proved that even that can be done.
wink.png
Hmmm, I didn't need to remove the two lower panels. Just the side and front access panels and mirrors. Even left the GPS in place, LOL.

DSC_0520.jpg

All this helpful discussion about replacing the instrument lamps is making me feel guilty. I bought new ones about three years ago and never installed them. Maybe I'll get motivated and do it this winter.
Bring it to the next Owosso Tech Day. I want to see if we can break Ignacio's 13 second record by using a 10 pound sledge.

https://vimeo.com/48459576

Bring it to the next Owosso Tech Day. I want to see if we can break Ignacio's 13 second record by using a 10 pound sledge.

https://vimeo.com/48459576
I thought about attending that tech day. I know Michigan very well but I kept missing the Owosso gatherings. However, one of my other hobbies is golf, and I have a week of golf in Myrtle Beach planned for that time in November.

Maybe I'll bring it out to the left coast for next year's tech day. No hammering allowed!
wink.png

BEFORE I did anything else I would lift up the front of the tank and unplug/plug in the electrical connections that are right beside the steering stem neck and within the cradle of the frame. I believe the plug that was causing the issue was to the right of the steering stem. As I recall it was a rather large plug.

A couple of years ago my dash lights went out on my '05 and I was all prepared to tear into and someone suggested I try this first - IT FIXED THE PROBLEM.

Might work for you too.

That multi-pin connector would be the "B" connector up under the tank.

InstrumentLightsPower.jpg

Above is part of the first gen wiring diagram. The sky blue wire is the run we are concerned with.

#42 is the instrument panel back lights (wiring diagram shows only one "bulb" but there are actually 4 in parallel).

#51 and #52 are the two front turn signal assemblies.

The B with the circle around it indicates where the wire passes through the B connector.

If that connector went bad you'd lose both the instrument lights and the running lights in the front turn signals.

I thought about attending that tech day. I know Michigan very well but I kept missing the Owosso gatherings. However, one of my other hobbies is golf, and I have a week of golf in Myrtle Beach planned for that time in November.
Maybe I'll bring it out to the left coast for next year's tech day. No hammering allowed!
wink.png
Greg, I don't know how to break this to you but the fall Owosso Tech Day has come and gone.An individual as confused as you would had fit right in. If we let our designated idiot BikerGeek set the Spring Owosso Tech Day date I'm putting snow tires (TKC80's) on my FJR to get there.

I don't know what "I have a headlight that is taking a swan dive" means, but unless the structure is crapping out, bodywork is not part of that fix.....
I mean that one of my headlight bulbs is taking a crap. It's just shining gray & dull... not totally out but getting ready to be out.

I've already changed bulbs once. I know that body work isn't included.

Thanks for all words of wisdom. I will be referring to tutorials here when I'm ready to do this job.