Daughter needs a car

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think safety first AJ, you of all people know the stupid shit happening on the roads. ABS and air bags, no question.

When our son started driving in 2010 we found a lightly used '03 Grand AM with ABS and air bags. Just the right size so it wasn't intimidating for a new driver but big enough to have a little bit of surrounding metal. He ended up being a good driver, only a tail light and mirror succumbed to teenage decision making. Like 'juniors daughter above, drove the wheels off it with only normal (easy) maintenance. He did get good at mounting and balancing front tires (using my HF machine) and replacing front brake pads until he took it easier.

Echoing others, recently picked up a used Hyundai to replace the 'ol Grand AM. Picked it up for a song with the idea that either son would take it or I'd flip it. Not knowing what to expect, I'm impressed how well the Hyundai is put together plus maintenance is a snap. Replaced the timing belt (due to age) and it was simple. Other maintenance is Toyota and Yamaha simple too. Never in a million years figured I'd say that about Hyundai...

~G

A rule I suggest adding to pants list. No one is allowed to ride in the vehicle with your daughter without your approval. Two teenagers in a car being driven by a novice teenage driver is dangerous, add a third and it is parental neglect.

Also require what is essentially a flight plan whenever she drives the car. Be a huge pain in her butt about where she is going and for how long. If my daughter were a teenager these days I would have a tracking device on the car that shows location and speed. Trust but verify.

My daughter was a great kid; no trouble, good grades and four year high school athlete. Ultimately she went to an expensive college on a four year scholarship that paid for everything. I think being a jerk about her driving kept her alive to accomplish these things.

This is the daughter that went action shooting with her old man I suspect, so I don't think there's any worries there about her doing stupid stuff in the car. Not your typical 16 y.o.

But with that said, I 'd go with an inexpensive used car that won't hurt when it gets dinged up. Not because of her inattentiveness, but rather the lack of experience as a defensive driver up against all the other dipshits on the road. Someone bangs into her cheap car and less likely it'll break her heart, or your bank account.

Hmmmm, maybe I just made the argument for putting her into that big off-road beast you used to own. lol

Great advise here, cant really add much other to be sure she has AAA for towing, etc in an emergency. Great backup for when something happens when you aren't available. Murphy's law rears it's ugly head at the worst times. At least if her used car breaks down you can get her/it back home safely .

Man, you guys are as funny as you are useful. Many of the suggestions you have are already covered. Pants rules had my dad's own twist on them when I started driving. He told me if I ever drank and drove, he would sell my car for $100 and keep the money. If he told me to be home at 11pm, I was home at 10:55. It was easier then because we lived in a small town and I was scared shitless of that man. One day I got home and I wasn't even out of my truck when he came outside and asked me, "What were you doing at the football field with Jessica?" "Ruh-roh..."HOW IN THE NAME OF SATAN'S ANUS DID HE KNOW I WAS AT THE FOOTBALL FILED WITH HER?!?!?!?! Meh, I was young and dumb. I wasn't doing much. Haha...

Anyway, E is a good kid and I trust her, but there will be rules. She's an all-star varsity softball player, has a 4.1** GPA, plays the violin, trains her horses, shoots better than most cops I know and basically has her shit together. However, she is 16 and stubborn, and she will have to maintain a high level of trust. I'll say this: No way in the world she will get pulled over here without me getting a phone call. Having connections is good. Haha...I'll probably get one of those plug-in GPS devices so I can monitor speed and location for a while.

I talked to the guy with my old truck and passed on his offer. It's too old and the gas mileage sucks. Gonna get her something smaller that will be easier to park when she gets to college, whether here or somewhere else. She will need room for her softball stuff and her sisters. I'd like to get her a stick-shift. That will prevent 98% of her friends from driving her car, but it's not mandatory. Yes, she already knows how to drive a standard.

C and I are looking now. The suggestions are great. We'll find something.

Both of my kids ended up with 10-ish year old Hondas (1 an Accord, the other a Civic). Those cars are bullet tough.

My daughter got a second car from me. Interesting story. Her Junior year in college, she was involved in an accident. Another vehicle pulled out in front of her, she struck it, and then ended up in the ditch. The 12 year old Accords' air bags worked and she walked away with not a scratch.

The other vehicle was operated by a kid with no insurance, no registration, nothing. My car was totaled and with liability only (on a pre-crash $3,500.00 car), I was SOL. This wasn't my daughter's fault, so rule #2 did not apply. The next week, I bought her another $5,000.00 car and after she graduated, I signed the title over to her and she kept it a year or two thereafter.

I called the other kid the week after the accident and told her that even though she didn't have insurance, she was still responsible for my damages. About 20 at the time, she mouthed off to me and basically told me to go fly a kite. Pissed me off. I thought about it a month or so, and then decided to do something about it.

I filed suit in small claims court. It cost me about $300.00 to do so. On my court date, I presented all paperwork to the judge and answered his questions. The defendant didn't even show. I was awarded the retail book value of my car at the time of the accident, the towing charge I paid to junk it, and court cost. I was thrilled - I'm not even a lawyer and I'm 1-0!! Woohoo!!

I leave the court room and go to the District Attorney's table.

(Pants) "OK, I've got a judgement, how do I get my money?"

(Asst. DA) "I dunno - that's your problem."

(Pants) "Huh?"

(ADA) "All that happened here is a judgement in your favor. Collecting is another matter totally."

(Pants) "Ya gotta be kidding me. What are my choices?"

(ADA) "You could garnish her wages, but you'd have to file separately for that."

(Pants) "For a $4,000.00 judgement? She didn't even show up for court. How do I know if she even has a job?"

(ADA) "The burden of proof is on the plaintiff."

(Pants) "What else ya got?"

(ADA) "This judgement will be recorded with the DMV. Her license will be automatically suspended and she cannot renew her license or register any vehicle in her name until she pays you. Also, if she receives a settlement or otherwise a payment from a court, your judgement is taking off the top before she is paid. Also, if she wins the lottery, your judgement is paid before she gets the rest. Otherwise, to get paid, you have to start another legal proceeding."

(Pants, hanging his head in total disbelief) "Allright man, thanks."

Fast forward about 4 years later. I get a call from an unknown number and for some reason, I answer it. It's the woman I sued. She tells me that she has all of the money she owes me, including interest that the court assessed for the time I waited, and she wants to meet me tomorrow morning to pay me and to get me to sign the paperwork releasing the judgement. Could have blown me away. I had like 3 meetings the next morning, but Pants never looks a gift horse in the mouth and I immediately agreed to the meeting.

The next morning, sure enough - I get there 10 minutes early and she's waiting for me She hands me a cashier's check for the total amount and I sign the paper.

(Pants) "I gotta ask you, what motivated you to pay me?"

(Kid) "It's a long story, but I've turned my life around. I got a job offer.... a good job, but they won't formally hire me without a valid drivers license. And I can't get that without paying you. But also, I'm a recovering drug addict. One of the steps is to make things right with the ones I have hurt. And that means you."

I gave her a hug and I never saw her again. I thought about giving her the money back. After all, years had passed and I was over it. But I'd like to think that she felt that paying me was part of her recovery. Doing so made her feel right about herself and the value of that was worth the money to her. I dunno - who knows what people think.

Up next... auto insurance advice for teenage parents...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought: Buy her a tank with a reputation for reliability. Maybe something from the police impound lot? Look for a Subaru or Volvo coming off lease. They're usually in excellent shape and cost considerably less than new.

I've got a 2015 FJR with 78,000 miles on it ... ?

FOR REAL: Does she know Georgia Tech's academic reputation and the quality of our softball team? No shit, bro.

Get something safe but cheap to get started.. New drivers bump in to stuff.

I bought my daughter a better car before she went to college. (2012 4cyl. Ford Fusion)

She's still driving it. It has been trouble free for well over 200,000 miles.

AJ,

Like many have suggested, Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla is the best bet for beginning drivers. Those cars have served my nephews and nieces well when they began driving. If you are looking for a one with low miles check the car rental companies sales. They rotate cars every year or so and you can get one for less than at a dealer or used car lot. Good luck. Good to hear your daughter is responsible and a great student. I especially like her being a great shooter. That will enhance her safety and respect.

I was serious about the Jeep.
I didn't think you weren't! I even gave you a heart thingie! Haha...One of my best friends from high school died in a Jeep Wrangler first year of college. She was the only one of us so far to pass. She was going to New Mexico State University in Las Cruces and she went to Juarez with friends. On the way home, the driver, probably drunk, fell asleep and rolled the jeep. Brandi got ejected and the Jeep rolled over her, killing her. Just one of those things I think about.

Our nephew has one and really likes it. Around here though, they seem to be a lot of money unless they are really beat up. Still...I'll keep my options open.

I strongly disagree with the lightweight four door Corolla/Civic idea. Again, 16 year olds get in more accidents than any other age group. When this happens, every mom and dad get to thinking about the heavier car equation. You've seen enough accidents to know what i mean: this ain't your first rodeo.

When I was a kid, my 4000 pound Mercury was T boned by a Corolla at 40 mph. He bounced off my passenger door like a ping pong ball. I got a bruised knee and a badly dented passenger side. The other driver got a broken nose, ribs and etc. and a trip to the hospital. His car was totaled with the front bumper in the front seat. Again: small car vs big car.

Remember AJ, one day many years ago, you strongly advised me to take your advice before I ventured off across the desert. Turns out it may have saved my butt. So here we are these many years later. I strongly advise a larger vehicle for her. I would hope she'd never be in an accident. But if it were my daughter, I wouldn't want to take that chance.

I know you are dealing with a responsible young lady. However, when dealing with responsible drivers, most accidents happen because somebody else hits YOU, not because you hit somebody else. Do the math. Just ask anybody about all the accidents they've had through the years. When my daughter went off to college, it was unbelievable. She was involved in something like 4 accidents, none of them her fault. Problem was: she was surrounded by meathead drivers all the time. College is a dangerous place because of the kind of drivers that are found there.

The "risk" wasn't so much how well my daughter drove, but how poorly everybody else in that college town drove. I didn't even include the accidents that occurred while the car was just sitting in the parking lot of her job, the restaurants around town, and etc. When I loaned her my Camry for a couple weeks, one of her best friends backed into it. Good grief.

So I wholeheartedly endorse the cheaper used car idea. But please consider a larger one. Heaven forbid that something bad happens and you end up regretting buying her a tin can. Sorry if I sound pessimistic here; just trying to help.

And once again, you'll pay more for Toyota and Honda because of that name. Your best prices are found elsewhere.

So I wholeheartedly endorse the cheaper used car idea. But please consider a larger one. Heaven forbid that something bad happens and you end up regretting buying her a tin can. Sorry if I sound pessimistic here; just trying to help.
And once again, you'll pay more for Toyota and Honda because of that name. Your best prices are found elsewhere.
Jeep = cage. Put a push bar on the front, a big ass bumper and the spare tire on the back . Take the back seat out and you now have a two passenger vehicle. Cheapest? No. Safe? Yes. She should also get a few cool factor points too. As a bonus, you and she can do some offroading together in it which would help her with driving skills and increase her confidence.
aikido.gif

With all due respect to my friend Gary, I do not agree entirely with his advice. The laws of physics most certainly apply and a larger object in motion generally pushes its smaller counter part. But crumble zone and other energy absorbing design additions to more modern cars (built in the past 10 years of so) have done wonders. This coupled with active and passive restraint systems, and the addition of air bags in all places within the cockpit makes a corolla a lot safer than it was in the 80s or even the 90s. In my opinion, 2500 pound cars built in the past 10 years are overall safer than their 3500-4500 counterparts from prior times. And the people that crash cars for a living to rate them would also agree based on the reports I read every year.

Is a 2010 Camery safer than its 750 pound lighter Corolla sister? Definitely. But you might find that a 2010 Corolla is rated safer than a 2010 Chevy Impala.

One thing Gary and I agree 100% on is that kids will do stupid shit. I could write a book. Here's a good one:

One Mardi Gras morning, I walked outside to do my daughter a favor. I decided to wash her car for her. I get everything setup and before I start the hose, I notice a huge black scrape/dent on the front passenger side bumper. I get her out of bed and ask her to come to the driveway.

(Dad) "Taylor, where did this scrape come from?"

(Taylor) "I hit something."

(Dad) "What did you hit?

(Taylor) "I dunno"

(Dad) "What do you mean - 'I dunno'. Did you hit another car?"

(Taylor) "No - it was a green box."

(Dad) "Get in the car. We are going to see what you hit."

So with her in her pajamas, she leads me to the corner near the grocery store where she works.

(Taylor) "There is it"

(Pants) "What - that green box under the street signal?"

(Taylor) "Yeah - that"

(Pants) "Taylor, that device is called a transformer. Can you read that red sticker on the side where you hit it?"

(Taylor) Yeah - WARNING DANGEROUS 10,000 VOLTS. CALL...."

(Pants) "Do you know what that means?"

(Taylor) "Not really"

(Pants) "I'll tell you what it means. It means that if you had hit that green box a little harder, there wouldn't be enough left of you for them to bring to your mother and I to bury. Do you understand what I mean by that?"

(Taylor) "Yes sir"

I called a friend of mine that managed the local utility and informed him that my daughter shifted the pad mounted transformer off its slab a little. I asked him to fix it and send me a bill for whatever it cost. I never heard anything about it again.

I'm tellin ya, AJ - stock up on your favorite spirit. It's fixin to get real good, man....

I didn't think you weren't! I even gave you a heart thingie! Haha...One of my best friends from high school died in a Jeep Wrangler first year of college. She was the only one of us so far to pass. She was going to New Mexico State University in Las Cruces and she went to Juarez with friends. On the way home, the driver, probably drunk, fell asleep and rolled the jeep. Brandi got ejected and the Jeep rolled over her, killing her. Just one of those things I think about.
NO GREATER LOVE HATH ANY MAN THAN TO LAY DOWN HIS HEART THINGIE FOR A FRIEND

NO GREATER LOVE HATH ANY MAN THAN TO LAY DOWN HIS HEART THINGIE FOR A FRIEND
Dammit, outta likes again!!

If you want a real tank, I'm thinking I need to sell my 48 Ford coupe. Stick shift, weak brakes, loose steering, no stereo, no blue tooth and isn't happy above 55 mph. Great to keep the driver alert.
smile.png