Dealer maintenance vs. local (very trusted) mechanic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiummadman

Reaction score
I need to have the valves checked & set if needed, Owner supplied APE chain cam tensioner installed

and the coolant replaced while they have that much stuff off of the bike. Bobby J's in Albuquerque(which is 220 miles away)

quoted the following: Valve check = $255(3.4 hr), adjust if needed = $150(2.0 hr) replace cct = $113(1.5 hr)

coolant deal + 37.50(.5 hr) plus coolant. I asked them if their techs had done this stuff before and if the labor

would go down since they already have a majority of the PITA fairings etc. removed. Answered yes to both.

My local mechanic has NEVER done any of this on an FJR, though plenty of experience on other bikes.

My gut feeling is let Bobby J's do it since their techs have experience on these particular jobs, however I

do not want to piss my mechanic here off because I need him for so many other tasks(tires, TBS, other

misc. bullshit on the FJR and my 4 other motorcycles). I think I will go with my gut, does that seem like a good choice??

I believe the price to be more than fair & this dealer has been a Yamaha ONLY dealer for about 50 years.

$500 + - ouch!! I just did all that myself for the cost of 3 o-rings, a gasket and coolant. However, if you are not comfortable doing it, then I guess the dealer is your best choice.

Have you checked to see if there is a Tech. Day happening in your area, or a reasonable ride away?

I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Al.

I need to have the valves checked...I asked them if their techs had done this stuff before...Answered yes...
You may want to look for references or the local BBB to see if he has done this stuff before successfully
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Though it not always about price only, that might figure in to a degree.

What is your local mechanic quoting? Though he hasn't done this on an FJR before, he sounds like a competent guy. If he's a good mech, maybe he has similar experience on other bikes?

If you have it done in Albq., are you allowing $ for two extra tanks of gas, travel time (6-8 hours on the bike, plus waiting while the work is done), plus lodging if the Yamaha dealer has a delay?

Enquiring minds....

Coolant change time should be included as you have to drain the coolant anyway to remove the plumbing so you can get the valve cover off........... and insist on new O-rings. CCT time is too much, they already have the bike apart..... but, my guess is they are quoting you flat rates for each job if they were done separately.

Coolant change time should be included as you have to drain the coolant anyway to remove the plumbing so you can get the valve cover off........... and insist on new O-rings. CCT time is too much, they already have the bike apart..... but, my guess is they are quoting you flat rates for each job if they were done separately.
+1, they have a book for time required for each job done separately,

I think any semi-competent mechanic can handle a valve check on this bike. It's not that tough. If it's a local, small shop guy that you trust, use him (unless you have warranty issues).

I think if you have to ask...there's enough doubt to go with the dealer...although ionbeam makes an excellent point. The dealer fees aren't unreasonable considering their time and overhead.

I'm just glad that I've had friends here on the Forum who have helped me and taught me some of the basic maintenance on the bike. I've saved $$LOTS$$ in dealer maintenance fees during the nine years of owning FJRs.

Radium,

BobbyJ's has been my dealer since my bike was new. I bought a service contract from them, so for 3 years they did all my service, including my valve check.

They are awesome. When the contract expired and I started doing my own service, I ran into stuff like the suspension joints that they had serviced. It was obvious because of the shape they were in. I was impressed cuz they could have skipped them and I wouldn't have known.

Chad is the guy that works on my bike and Rob is the service manager. If you decide to take your bike to them, ask that Chad does the work and he will. He's an awesome tech and knows FJRs very well. They are very fair, and very competent. I'll gladly pay them the $500 for my next check because I don't know crap about valves.

If you bring it up here for the work, PM me and we'll go to lunch.

I use the dealer for first 600 miles only and until warranty ends. Cost at the dealer level Retail +++

After that, I have a very reliable independent who does what is needed only. Independent 1/3-1/2 the cost.

Find a local mechanic with good certification and go with him.

Rio Yamaha, which used to be in Las Cruces closed years ago. Don't think anyone has stepped up to fill the void. Used to be a dealer in Deming, but they've been closed for prolly 3 or 4 years.

That leaves El Paso or Albuquerque. If I owned Hell and El Paso, I'd live in Hell and rent El Paso out. Puke!!

Rio Yamaha, which used to be in Las Cruces closed years ago. Don't think anyone has stepped up to fill the void. Used to be a dealer in Deming, but they've been closed for prolly 3 or 4 years.
That leaves El Paso or Albuquerque. If I owned Hell and El Paso, I'd live in Hell and rent El Paso out. Puke!!
Hey HotRod, you got that right about El Paso. The people who owned the wonderful dealership in Deming, N.M. were

dealers for BMW, Honda & Yamaha. They had such GOOD mechanics and such reasonable prices that people would

bring their bikes from Albuquerque, Tucson & Phoenix, Las Cruces, El Paso, Alamogordo, etc to them for service and to buy new or used bikes, I bought one new & one used.

Was 70 miles one way from my house to their door, worth every mile to NOT LET the dumb bastards at the local dealership do the work. Unfortunately Jeff & his wife both died about 5-6 years ago, less than

50 years old. The people who own Las Cruces Motorsports in Las Cruces as well as the stealerships

In Los Lunas & Santa Teresa are a bunch of nocount assholes. In Las Cruces they have Honda,

KTM, Suzuki, YOmommaha, Kamakazi, Titan, etc. I do not know anyone over the age of 40

that does not like them. Viva in El Paso has MORE brands, Triumph, & others and

are ass bites also, same for the guys in Alamogogo. I would rather drive 220 miles one way to

a reputable dealer than waste my time & the possibility of having my bike fucked up by a bunch

of clueless bastards. Well your inquiringass mind got the answer !!!

I need to have the valves checked & set if needed, Owner supplied APE chain cam tensioner installed
and the coolant replaced while they have that much stuff off of the bike. Bobby J's in Albuquerque(which is 220 miles away)

quoted the following: Valve check = $255(3.4 hr), adjust if needed = $150(2.0 hr) replace cct = $113(1.5 hr)

coolant deal + 37.50(.5 hr) plus coolant. I asked them if their techs had done this stuff before and if the labor

would go down since they already have a majority of the PITA fairings etc. removed. Answered yes to both.

My local mechanic has NEVER done any of this on an FJR, though plenty of experience on other bikes.

My gut feeling is let Bobby J's do it since their techs have experience on these particular jobs, however I

do not want to piss my mechanic here off because I need him for so many other tasks(tires, TBS, other

misc. bullshit on the FJR and my 4 other motorcycles). I think I will go with my gut, does that seem like a good choice??

I believe the price to be more than fair & this dealer has been a Yamaha ONLY dealer for about 50 years.
Don't forget new spark plugs while in there.

I'd go with the local mechanic since you seem to be satisfied with him for other service. Having now done this job myself, I can say that it's not as big a deal as I thought it was. If I can do it, any mechanic worth 1/2 his salt can. You might print the FJR1300info "how to" and give it to the mechanic, not to insult him, but to give him the specs, torque specs, etc. and save him the trouble of looking it up.

The dealer's prices are reasonable, except for the added coolant labor.

Nervous about doing this job myself, I called the the Yamaha dealer in my hometown. The first thing he tells me is he's NEVER sold an FJR in 10 years of business. Ok - you're off my list. Next, I call the Yami dealer in Baton Rouge (60 miles away) and he quotes me about $1,000.00 plus the cost of shims!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? The ultimate insult is that if I'm stupid enough to give you $1,000.00 for this job, are you actually going to charge me extra for each $0.50 shim? I just couldn't put a finger on that one - but I decided to give him a finger (can you guess which one? I'll give you a hint - it wasn't this one
nono.gif
) Anyway, that was ultimately the driver in me doing it myself.

Well now, that post was to the point!
Yep! I guess I shoulda said ef'in spark plugs and slammed the high dollar iridium POS NGK spark plugs and started a spark plug war that woulda eventually sunk into still more name calling and still more pissing contests. But WTH, I'm feeling a kinder, gentler me today. Besides, there's always tomorrow.

But the OP should also be prepared for some delays. If the valve cover gasket is crimped (rare I know but it does happen) expect to wait on a replacement, things like that. The OP should also ask if the mechanic doing the work thinks "between specs" on valve clearance is good enough. That's a key, specific phrase I always look for in mechanics- good enough. If it's "good enough" for him IMHO he's prolly lacking in attention to detail and should be avoided. Just my $.02, YMMV.