Dealer performs hack job!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to install the relay assembly I built (thanks to Brodie) and couldn't see tearing the bike down twice...once by me for the relay and again by the shop for the ignition switch recall. :glare:

After a lengthy discussion with the gereral manager, he allowed me to install my own switch as long as I brought back all the replaced parts and the completed bike for inspection. :yahoo:

Now I know the job was done right with absolutely no damage. :clapping:

:angry: Yep not a happy camper took to the dealer had them inspect it before service performed......

Waited for motorcycle... 2 hours ... rolled it out into the sunshine and low and behold a ding in the tank right below the ignition and

the hoses were not routed correctly!!! Well they of course deny the dent, service manager basically says that we may have missed it

and asked me what I would like to do, replace the tank!!! ohhh we can't do that general manager wants to see the bike and makes a comment that

the motorcycle was not purchased from them?? what the he** should that have any thing to do with a warranty repair!!! and does not think there

is anything they can do.... ahhh the good old dealer guess a call to Yamaha is in order...

Dealership is in Colorado G-Force Powersports on Colfax and Wadsworth

Nice people but could care less about the condition of your motorcycle when it leaves the shop

Yes, be very careful. My total of damage for the ignition fix is:
* ding in pipe near passenger footrest

* ding in tank near ignition

* cables outside cable keeper

* scratches in the paint on both sides of the cockpit area.

The dings were small but for chrisakes the bike had less than 500 miles.

Worked with dealer and mama yama in cypress but in the end the dealer refused to pay since I didn't catch it before it left the shop. But you can guess the same story would have happened even if I did catch it...you brought it in that way. Yeah right with 500 miles on it! It's my second FJR so I'm not a newbie when it comes to the bike!

Bottomline...look the bike over with the service manager when you take it in and out. But most of all do your own work to save yourself the hassle and heartache.

Note that my particular Stealer, Crossroads Motorsports in Gibsonia PA had been top notch for a long time but they turned bad in the last few years and I got caught by it.

BEWARE if you use Crossroads Motorsports. YMMV

Yea, the service manager and I went over the bike before the work and he made a comment about scratches on my tank. I ask him where but he couldn't point them out because there were none! He was just trying to cover his ASS. Should have seen the red flag then and went to another dealer!

How do you know if the recall was completed? My Stealer told me that the problem was corrected on the new 2009's and didn't need to be done. I have absolutely no faith in this dealer and want to double check. Do I call Yamaha? Does anyone have the number?
give me your vin i'll ck

Mines in the affected range - it doesn't have the punch mark, but it does have the yellow tape. You can pull the wiring out from under the tank enough to see the yellow tape.

:angry: Yep not a happy camper took to the dealer had them inspect it before service performed......
Waited for motorcycle... 2 hours ... rolled it out into the sunshine and low and behold a ding in the tank right below the ignition and

the hoses were not routed correctly!!! Well they of course deny the dent, service manager basically says that we may have missed it

and asked me what I would like to do, replace the tank!!! ohhh we can't do that general manager wants to see the bike and makes a comment that

the motorcycle was not purchased from them?? what the he** should that have any thing to do with a warranty repair!!! and does not think there

is anything they can do.... ahhh the good old dealer guess a call to Yamaha is in order...

Dealership is in Colorado G-Force Powersports on Colfax and Wadsworth

Nice people but could care less about the condition of your motorcycle when it leaves the shop
Mama Yama acted real concerned in my case and we had several go-rounds, i sent pictures and lots of documentation.

In the end the customer service rep told me that I was screwed because the dealer did not want to work with me. Lets see $800 for the exhaust can and $1000 or more for the tank and the scratches....no kidding they don't want to work with me!

I guess the thing that irked me the most is when the owner of Crossroads Motorsports (in Gibsona PA..beware using them) told me to turn it in to my insurance,"...thats what you've been paying insurance for...".

That statement has alot of disregard for customer service built into it!!!

I guess the thing that irked me the most is when the owner of Crossroads Motorsports (in Gibsona PA..beware using them) told me to turn it in to my insurance,"...thats what you've been paying insurance for...".
That statement has alot of disregard for customer service built into it!!!
That's also what HE has insurance for.

You can drop it or you can continue to pursue the matter. It depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it. Document everything. Get every response in writing, continue up the ladder to Yamaha in Cypress. Email or written comments might be better than phone so that you get a wroitten response. Last resort is small claims court, and you'll have your case documented.

If I ever have to take my bike in for service I plan to take my digital camera with me. I'll take pictures of everything right there in front of the service rep. so he knows I'm doing it. Tell him it''s to protect him and me.

Well we have gone all the way up the chain of command to the owner Yamaha could have cared less when speaking with them, even though I did point both the dealer and them to this thread..... customer service goes a long way towards your next motorcycle purchase.....

Will keep everyone appraised of the outcome!!

After reading this I went and took a closer look at my bike. Now I'm pissed off at the shitty work from a service dept. I have normally come to trust. Not only did they not route the cables back correctly for the right handlebar they also mashed the power for my gps AND left a scratch. :evilsmiley02:

WTF??? Stories like this are exactly why I've been delaying taking mine it. I installed the Brodie relay though. I'd really to have it done, but I don't want the mooks at the dealerships to f-things up.

Is it possible to perform the recall without removing any of the fairing? Since I had mine done, there is a lot of creaking sounds (like marbles going over bumps). I notice it more at lower speed and with the wind shield up. Called the dealer and they want me to bring it back in. I said it sounded like a plastic rubbing together and short of removing everything and putting it all back together I was curious about how the switch is replaced. They said they didn't touch the fairing???

I removed my own ignition and took it to my dealer so he could switch out the tumblers and reinstalled it myself. it was easy for me because I had the Heli bars installed and also had everything stripped off to do a CC install.

Keith-

I took mine up to Fort Collins motorsports. I have a service contract with them where they do unlimited oil changes, YES, and more. I moved from Fort Collins about 1.5 years ago and the contract is non-transferable. I wish I had never purchased it. My bad.

Every time I take it down I have to schedule a minimum of 5 hours (2hours of riding 3 hours of waiting). Nothing like having them do a crappy job and give up a large portion of my weekend.

Wow, here is my third post and I have to go on a rant, o well here it is........ Not many good dealers left and one of the better ones [bREYLEY'S, NORTHEAST OHIO] were around before the internet so anything I try and tell them is gobbledygoop! :blink:

I had an 03 and it was a ticker so I begged them to get the area rep involved and lucky for me the rep had some knowledge of the ticking saga, I called later and asked what the rep had determined and the nice but cluless service guy said that the rep "bought my story" so it was fixed. It wasn't going to happen if it was up to them because I "bought into the internet hysteria!"

I'm scared to even go there and get my ignition fix [for my 07] so I will just get the Brody relay and be done with it. It is a shame we have to put up with this crap and something should be done about it!

There is only a handfull of FJR'S in upper Ohio [i don't ever see another one anywhere and that is ok with me] and one of the members on this board took his bike to the dealer for the ignition fix and they just snipped the wires on the ignition to speed up the job.....screwed up the guys bike and the owner of the bike is being nice and not mentioning who it was THANKS FOR THE HELP PAL so now we don't know who it is. I hear that they did do the guy right and fix it but still its not like you are slandering this dealer it just tells us who doesn't have a clue on how to do certain things.....Jeeeeesh!

OK I'm stepping of the box and going to the fridge for another beer :ph34r:

After reading this thread and others one thing is very clear.

I'm doing the work myself even if I must purchase the switch.

Too many horror stories. Yamaha gives the dealer (according to the bulletin)

1 hour for the job. So not to loose money, the tech needs to move pretty fast

and that means "oh damns" are going to happen. :angry:

Update #1

Moved up to a higher level very nice conversation..... said they will contact Yamaha this coming week to replace the fuel tank :yahoo: keeping my fingers crossed and felt better after our conversation.

Will keep posting after final results.... at least a positive step!!

Another horror story for you, once again beginning w/ the ignition recall. The dealer in this case is Pro Caliber Motorsports, the Honda/Yamaha dealer in Bend, Oregon.

First I took the notice in and they said they'd order the new unit that day & call when it arrived, ...couple weeks pass they call and tell me they need my VIN to order the part.

Finally they call and say they have it, ...go ahead and bring the bike in; I take it in the next morning but the part is nowhere to be found [i suspect it got installed on a chance drop-in], so my bike sits there for another 3days while they procure another unit.

Finally they get at the job, takes two days, but WTF at that point. They call to say it's ready to be picked up, and when I get there it's waiting in the lot. Like an idiot I figure ready is 'ready', so I throw a leg over for the short [thankfully in retrospect] ~3mi ride home. Nothing felt remiss on the ride home, ...in-town speeds, no real curves, no hard braking. No time to play that day, so I parked it in the garage and went about my chores.

The next morning I was moving the bike around in the garage by hand on the smooth floor surface & something didn't feel quite right at the bars. Upon closer inspection, I find that neither the top triple clamp pinch bolts nor the top steering nut were tightened, ...much less torqued! The top nut was finger-tight, the pinch bolts were not even that! The pinch bolts were loose and that means about a ~mm of slop around the stanchions. Having the necessary tools, I wrapped up the job myself, then went down and gave the mechanic and service manager a piece of my mind, ...they were far less than acceptably humble & apologetic in my mind! My FeeJ has seen the inside of that shop for the last time! :angry:

Needless to say it leaves me somewhat circumspect about whether the rest of the job was done correctly, I'm reasonable sure I didn't cause any further damage on the way home, ...but, your thoughts are welcomed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another horror story for you, once again beginning w/ the ignition recall. The dealer in this case is Pro Caliber Motorsports, the Honda/Yamaha dealer in Bend, Oregon.
First I took the notice in and they said they'd order the new unit that day & call when it arrived, ...couple weeks pass they call and tell me they need my VIN to order the part.

Finally they call and say they have it, ...go ahead and bring the bike in; I take it in the next morning but the part is nowhere to be found [i suspect it got installed on a chance drop-in], so my bike sits there for another 3days while they procure another unit.

Finally they get at the job, takes two days, but WTF at that point. They call to say it's ready to be picked up, and when I get there it's waiting in the lot. Like an idiot I figure ready is 'ready', so I throw a leg over for the short [thankfully in retrospect] ~3mi ride home. Nothing felt remiss on the ride home, ...in-town speeds, no real curves, no hard braking. No time to play that day, so I parked it in the garage and went about my chores.

The next morning I was moving the bike around in the garage by hand on the smooth floor surface & something didn't feel quite right at the bars. Upon closer inspection, I find that neither the top triple clamp pinch bolts nor the top steering nut were tightened, ...much less torqued! The top nut was finger-tight, the pinch bolts were not even that! The pinch bolts were loose and that means about a ~mm of slop around the stanchions. Having the necessary tools, I wrapped up the job myself, then went down and gave the mechanic and service manager a piece of my mind, ...they were far less than acceptably humble & apologetic in my mind! My FeeJ has seen the inside of that shop for the last time! :angry:

Needless to say it leaves me somewhat circumspect about whether the rest of the job was done correctly, I'm reasonable sure I didn't cause any further damage on the way home, ...but, your thoughts are welcomed?

Your first mistake was not taking it back in the screwed up condition you got it it. Since it was a safety issue I might have got a lawyer involved. When you bring it back all fixed it is your word vs mechanics word.

These dealer stories are making me nervous. My bike is running so nice right now I hate to have anyone mess with it. I don't think this is something I can do myself. How important is this recall?

Worst service experience I ever had was with a Chevy truck I had. I brought it in for a basic service, oil change etc. and they forgot to put new oil in. The kid went to lunch or something. I noticed it right away but some damage had been done. They tried to tell me everything was ok but it never really ran the same again. They eventually agreed to give me full market price on the truck on a trade in. I'm sure I still got screwed.

OK move along now ->