Deer season starts early in North Dakota

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Very glad to hear that you're mostly okay... another riding friend got taken out by feral pigs over the weekend and is in the hospital awaiting surgery for his shattered pelvis... I almost got hit this weekend by a turkey vulture... it's not just the deer anymore! Take your time and heal up!

Wow, nasty. I hope your injuries heal fast and you'll be able to get the bike back on the road soon.
Progressive totaled the bike sight unseen when I called them from the hospital and told them I hit and killed a deer at full highway speed. They had me sign title over already when I stopped into their office after leaving the hospital. I have become very attached to this Tenere and will be sorry to see it go. I am happy Progressive doesn't want to monkey around with a bike that took that hard of a hit and relieves my worries of trying to get the bike fixed properly.

When I got home last night and looked the bike over I was amazed at how little damage was on the bike. The Tenere looks like it is built like a tank. The bike only hit the black top once on the right side crash bars then popped back up on its wheels and rolled to a nice gentle tip over in the ditch 200 yards from where I hit the deer.

Glad to hear that you made it through this in pretty good shape.

Who knows? Perhaps telling of your experience and showing your torn up gear to your students will someday save someone from nasty injuries or even getting killed. A thin majority around here wear helmets, but it's rare to see another rider (besides the Two Wheeled Texan folks) going ATGATT.

Whew!

I'm sure you earned some 'brownie points' from the Divine Spectator by supplying an extra Sunday concussion for his amusement, even if it wasn't on the gridiron.

Take it easy while the hematoma resolves and don't hesitate to visit the doctor if you have any 'odd' symptoms.

Credo in ATGATT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your accident.

When things happen they happen fast.

Best thing to do is take it easy and heal up.

Here is wishing you a very fast recovery.

So glad to hear you are okay Kevin. Hope you're still able to make NAFO, if you do, plan on taking my Triumph for a little test ride.
smile.png
I should be doing fine by NAFO and expect to be there. I was looking at the explorer today and found they had some pretty good incentives on them. I was sort of thinking of a KTM 1190 or another Tenere as a replacement but I think I will also reconsider the Explorer as well. They have a black 13 Explorer holdover I can test ride so I may take one for a test ride tomorrow. I sort of fell in lust with an all white 2014 Explorer so I may have to see how I like the ride.

Hey bud, I've not met you, but see lots of your posts and always think of you as friend, virtual although it might be.

What I'm really trying to say is I'm very happy you are ok.

d

Sorry to read about your deer strike. Glad you had on the gear and are healing well.

Not to hyjack your thread but, I hit a deer on July 7th in Vermont. Broke my lower right leg in 3 places which now sports a titanium rod. I'm still on crutches. One deep laceration on my left knee and some broken ribs. Helmet took a hit but I was conscience through the whole crash. ATGATT! I threw away the jacket and pants as it was rolled though poison sumac and the EMT had to cut the pants off. I did break out in the the sumac rash.

Sounds like you teach the BRC. I do also. I will be displaying my helmet in the classroom. Especially to my Harley Riding Academy classes who love no or half helmets.

Same insurance, Progressive. They totaled my wing and just paid out my maximum of 3k for my gear. No arguments.

Replaced the GW with a 2012 FJR that sits in my garage waiting for me to heal up.

Hope you are riding soon.

Wow.

Sorry to hear about the impact. GLAD to hear your gear saved you.

My dad died from a blow to the head during a fall last September...he was fine until the brain swelling occurred and killed him a couple weeks later. Your helmet saved you...plain and simple.

Glad you survived and can make this post!

Sorry to read about your deer strike. Glad you had on the gear and are healing well.
Not to hyjack your thread but, I hit a deer on July 7th in Vermont. Broke my lower right leg in 3 places which now sports a titanium rod. I'm still on crutches. One deep laceration on my left knee and some broken ribs. Helmet took a hit but I was conscience through the whole crash. ATGATT! I threw away the jacket and pants as it was rolled though poison sumac and the EMT had to cut the pants off. I did break out in the the sumac rash.

Sounds like you teach the BRC. I do also. I will be displaying my helmet in the classroom. Especially to my Harley Riding Academy classes who love no or half helmets.

Same insurance, Progressive. They totaled my wing and just paid out my maximum of 3k for my gear. No arguments.

Replaced the GW with a 2012 FJR that sits in my garage waiting for me to heal up.

Hope you are riding soon.
As a heads up to other riders. I knew my progressive policy came with $3000.00 accessory coverage but I didn't know that protective gear fell under that. I was wearing $1700.00 worth of gear with the Klime suit, Shoei helmet, Sidi boots and gloves and my bike had nearly $3200.00 in accessories on it so I found out I was underinsured and should of had additional accessory coverage. I just raced through removing $2000.00 worth of accessories off my Tenere before the salvage company comes to pick it up today.

Man bending over and turning wrenches hurt like hell three days after a 55+ get off!
cry.gif

I am terribly sorry to hear about this incident, Kevin. Very pleased that you are here posting on your own. Have fun @ NAFO. Guess that I'll miss you this time around, Heidi

Having just seen the first deer of the season cross my path earlier this week and now to read about your deer strike. The alert level has just been raised a few notches.

Good to read you survived fairly well your abrupt get-off Kevin. Shit can happen so quickly, and seemingly from out of no where, that I have a tough time comprehending how riders can try to argue against gearing up.

See you at NAFO in a week Kevin.

We'll that just sucks, glad you're doing well considering what could have happened. I'm especially glad you'll still be able to make NAFO :yahoo:

Glad you're well enough to post, and despite the pain, well enough to put a wrench to your machine. Best wishes for a full and quick recovery.

Hell of a way to hunt deer. Glad to hear you're only banged up and coming out of this looking good. Riding alone is so serene until you have something like this happen and realise that you're truly alone when you're off the beaten path.

Again, happy to hear you are up and getting back in the saddle.

shakin

Personally, I prefer my Remmington .30-06. Hurts less and more venison is left. Glad damage to you was minimal.

Damn dude! That sounds like an ugly hit. Like others, I'm glad you were geared up. Nice job. Sorry about the bike, but impressed all your fingers and toes are all still attached!