Deer season starts early in North Dakota

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bumping this thread to offer Abrecombrie my heartfelt wishes for his continued recovery.

Like others, I'd like to see pictures of your gear, if you feel comfortable sharing it.

Hitting an animal at speed is one of my worst fears. My palms are sweating just writing about it.

Thanks hppants

I am getting closer to full recovery. My back and rib pain is getting better and I have been back to work for a couple of weeks but thankfully my crew has not been called to any working fires. I attended NAFO in Lacrosse 11 days after hitting the deer and found my body was in no shape for spending several hours in the saddle of the FJR.

My local dealership located a hold over White 2013 replacement Tenere and I just took delivery Friday, after three weeks of waiting. Now the big job of reinstalling accessories awaits some free time. Rick ( Rally master of NAFO ) also gave me some shiny new chrome deer whistles during the NAFO banquet, so I will have to find a spot to install that critical bit of safety gear.
rolleyes.gif

As a Firefighter / EMT and a MSF Ridercoach who is devoted to public safety & education, I would be glad to share pictures of my gear and will try to get some pictures posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pants for bumping...I missed this the first time around.

Glad you're okay and healing up...with a replacement steed already. :D

When we crossed paths in Prescott, WI on the way back from NAFO, I thought of you crossing MN to get to ND and came away thinking,"there goes a fellow with a long grind ahead of him". I had no clue that you were still on the mend - long grind home indeed!

I attended NAFO in Lacrosse 11 days after hitting the deer and found my body was in no shape for spending several hours in the saddle of the FJR.

Thanks hppants
I am getting closer to full recovery. My back and rib pain is getting better and I have been back to work for a couple of weeks but thankfully my crew has not been called to any working fires. I attended NAFO in Lacrosse 11 days after hitting the deer and found my body was in no shape for spending several hours in the saddle of the FJR.

My local dealership located a hold over White 2013 replacement Tenere and I just took delivery Friday, after three weeks of waiting. Now the big job of reinstalling accessories awaits some free time. Rick ( Rally master of NAFO ) also gave me some shiny new chrome deer whistles during the NAFO banquet, so I will have to find a spot to install that critical bit of safety gear.
rolleyes.gif

As a Firefighter / EMT and a MSF Ridercoach who is devoted to public safety & education, I would be glad to share pictures of my gear and will try to get some pictures posted.
Never mind farkling. You better get that deck built if you know what's good for you!

Sorry to hear about your get off with the deer!! I'm sure that the gear saved you. If you'd been riding like a "Pirate" your head would have taken damage that makes me shudder, bones would have broken and your skin would be hamburger. Have a swift recovery!!

I hit a deer with a Burgman in Wisconsin a couple of years ago doing about 60 as I was going around a turn in Kettle Moraine. I was very lucky the deer was coming from the left side and I hit her first with my left knee which pushed her in front of my front wheel that pushed her in front of my right knee where I hit her again. The deer ended up on the side of the road, I managed to keep the bike up and bring it to a stop and the bike only suffered some broken plastic while I just had black and blue legs. I still have the Burgman.

I ride my bikes everywhere nine months out of the year and take off cross country whenever I can so that I make 25-30k on two wheels a year and with mileage like that the chances of get offs increase.

In May I was stupid and wrecked my FJR doing a high side on a turn on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd been racing with a friend for three days from West Virginia through most of the Blue Ridge. When I came through this turn there was fresh cut grass all over the turn and I skid the bike. In my effort to keep it up I ended up doing a high side at about 60 MPH. I was wearing pretty good gear, Firstgear riding pants (TPG) an Olympia jacket, Scorpion EXO 1100 full face, Olympia gloves and construction boots. I hit the pavement at about 60 and did one of those slide and roll endings. Luckily I didn't hit any immovable object. At the end I had a badly twisted left ankle, a gash on my right back hand where the glove got pulled off and a few cuts on my knees from the hard pads not being adjusted just right. The bike was wrecked, but I got up and sent the ambulance away without me. I think that's not bad for that kind of impact.

When the insurance paid me I thought it was time to slow down for a while and bought a BMW C-650 GT. A week ago Friday some dumb lady taught me a lesson. I was waiting at an intersection for oncoming traffic to clear so I could make a left turn. I was at a full stop with my indicator on and this lady just drove into the back of my new BMW at 30 or so. I had no clue the accident was going to happen until the second of impact. Next thing I knew I was lying on the pavement and the dumbass lady was looking down at me and asking "Are you dead?" Again I was ATGATT and I walked away with a soar right leg (all bruised) and a soar back. No ambulance or hospital just police to chronicle the event so she can't get out from it.

I'm not giving up riding, but will not ride without ATGATT. In fact I found a 2008 FJR AE in Memphis with about 5,500 miles on the clock for $5,500.00. This bike is stock and was owned by a senior citizen who was having trouble handling the weight of an FJR and traded it in on a Can-Am Spyder. The Can-Am dealer just wants to get out of the bike before winter so they agreed to do the work for me of installing a Heli-Bar riser, HID lights, Highway Pegs, and my heated gear cord. When the last FJR died I kept the RDL seat, I'm bringing it with for the ride home and the dealer in Memphis will ship the stock seat home for me. I think I got a good deal, but I better watch for deer on the way home!