Did I buy a BMW?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoGall

Reaction score
Bought a new 2010 back in July this year. On the first ride, noticed some oil/grease splatter on the rear wheel. Talked to the Dealer where I got it from. They thought it was excess spline grease being spung off. Read some threads here, okay, that's possible.

While doing the 600-mile service myself, noticed the splatter seems to have gotten worse. Changed out the final drive fluid as recommended. There wasn't any noticeable reduction in the gear oil level back in the pumpkin. Replaced the fill washer as well as the drain washer to be certain. Cleaned the wheel. Went for a ride. There it was again on the back wheel. When parked, there is always a few oily droppings on the ground directly beneath the weep hole.

Called the Dealer:

"Hey, what could be coming out of that weep hole?"

"There is no weep hole underneath," the Dealer's service manager replied.

"There is," me retored.

"There isn't."

"There is."

"There isn't one on your model year."

"There is, because my index finger is on it right now... and shit is dripping out of it, you git!"

@1,200 miles, I took the bike to Dealer #2, whom I trusted before I moved, with the same problem. They took off the rear wheel. Found too much lubricant/spline grease back there. Cleaned it up. Ran it with the rear tire, and saw no other signs of leak. Still couldn't tell me what could be coming out of the weep hole. "Keep an eye on it" was all they said.

Well, after having kept an eye on it for another week... It ain't getting better. Maybe I'm just overly worried. After all, a tiny little dropp could look like a lot. However, there is enough to get some dripping onto the tire wall at this point. Snapped some pics. Opinions welcome.

Bike is scheduled to go in again this Thursday. Canceled the 3,000-miler I had already planned (for the week of 8/22) indefinitely. I know it will get sorted out eventually. Just a little bummed.

i-j23GBZB-M.jpg

i-jM6vzN4-M.jpg

i-hHqwW3p-M.jpg

These are from a 163-mile ride. Started in the morning with clean rim/wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oy vay! BMW final drives fail. FJR final drives occasionally get small leaks. The weephole is in the swingarm. Is that what you told the idiot dealer? That is not much oil leaking at all, but yes, it appears one of the seals in your final drive is leaking or weeping. It can come and go, or be steady. Usually not much oil is coming out. I have had it occurr several times but never enough to drip on the ground.

For more info, here's a couple links:

Good Seals Gone Bad

Driveshaft/Gear Coupling/Final Drive 101

I my opinion it looks like you have a bad seal inside the pumpkin. There are two seals that prevent the final drive oil from leaking from the pumpkin into the shaft area (which is hollow and simply acts as a protective cover for the shaft) and out the weep oil. I had the same type of leakage on my wheel. Insist that the dealer replace the seals under warranty. The leakage on your wheel is not terrible but on a new bike it should not be leaking at all.

What others have said, it's the two seals, one on the shaft the other on the inside. About $40 in parts.

I have to tools to replace the seals but they are on loan. Don't cancel your trip. If you're worried keep a small bottle of fluid with you. I did for Years and 40k miles before I got around to replacing seals.

It's not leaking nearly as bad as you think.

You're welcome to borrow the tools if you want once I get them back.

-MD

Edit, you have a 2010, if it's still under warranty get the dealer to do the seals. But don't sweat it for the big ride. Just sayin.

Don't worry about it. It will eventually go away. I had the same thing happen to me after picking it up brand new. I had it checked out at a dealer on the way back home. it did it a few times in the first few weeks and it has been fine since. Give it a few more weeks and if it still persist then have it check out.

Dave

Mine did it too when I first bought it. I kept a eye on the fluid level, never went down, and eventually it quit doing it. Not saying yours is the same as mine but it might be. Although if I remember correctly, it only took a couple of weeks to clear up, about 300 miles or so.

One thing I learned from a grizzled old Harley rider years ago who was riding a gizzled old Harley: if it's still leakin', it's still got lube in there and you're fine. Only worry when it stops leakin'.

Thanks all. It was just wise crack about having bought a BMW. I know this isn't FD failure or implosion :lol: I have full faith that this will work out fine given a little time. I am just not good with the waiting game. :p

What others have said, it's the two seals, one on the shaft the other on the inside. About $40 in parts.

...If you're worried keep a small bottle of fluid with you. I did for Years and 40k miles before I got around to replacing seals.
If I get desparate enough, I will make room in the saddlebox for the fluid :lol: Thanks for the info and the offer to loan out your tool :clapping: