Did search,...What's in you'r tank bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRed7

Reaction score
Move if needed,.....Rag at me. what ever....

The boss and i are going on a bit of a spin on the weekend down to Raleigh NC to look at some processing equipment. Looking like around 2300 km's from up here in Atlantic Canada. I'M Hoping for the best :dribble: but it's gonna be an ass burner. I've done a couple of long days(600km) on my 03' 600r but nothing like this and i expect/hope that the increased level of comfort will make it bearable. I was rooting around for suggestions on what stuff to bring with....I know most of the obvious,...Tire stuff/First aid/Tools. But i'm expecting there are a couple of good threads that i just can't find. Point me in the right direction please...

-I'll be putting on a fresh set of 021's so it will be a good test for them as the round trip will be about 5000km's

-Between the Nel-Rig rtb-500 and my tank bag i've got loads of room for stuff

It's gonna' be awesome.

Cheers

-Don

The boss is taking his Eagle Fat Boy and he thinks that i'm going to be hurtin' :blink:

I just finished a Calif. to Raleigh run on my 06' for a total of 3300 miles. In my tank bag I carried my glasses case, a small battery powered CD player and ear buds, foam ear protectors for when I wasn't listening to music, a water bottle, wallet and cell phone, CD collection (25 discs) and a rag. I also had room for my GPS if I didn't have it mounted on my stem mount. Forgot to add I also carried a camera, pen and spare key.

My right side bag carried a rain suit, tools and tire patch kit with a 12v air pump, leathers and a vest and sweatshirt (which I didn't need)

My left side bag carried my armored riding jacket for those times when it was just too damn hot to have it on (I'm getting a water vest for my next hot weather ride) and a couple of other odds and ends.

My tour pack carried all my clothes and most important....a can of pre-moistened shield wipes to clean off the bugs.

Have a safe trip to Raleigh. If you need to find anything while you're hear, drop me a line. My office is out in the RTP and I live in N. Raleigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sirrus satellite portable radio with tank mounted antenna, 12 V plug in and Shure ear buds, Baby glock, maps, reading glasses, glass cleaning wipes, sun screen, Alleve, and insulated water bottle.

Tank bag

Ear Plugs

Ipod

Skip 1st aid stuff cept lip balm, you go down, you need help, not a bandaid

add camera

cell phone

face sheild cloth, cleaner

pencil, small pad of paper

Sunglasses

Antacids

Another thing I did, FOR COMFORT was to tape a spare set of keys to bike and GIVI to the "inside" of my faring just in front of the oil filter and up a bit with "Gorrila Tape" (sp) (super dooper duct tape)Lose yer 1st set on the road and you are screwed blue and tattood

Ummmm keep some water easy to get to

that is my 2c

Sirrus satellite portable radio with tank mounted antenna, 12 V plug in and Shure ear buds, Baby glock, maps, reading glasses, glass cleaning wipes, sun screen, Alleve, and insulated water bottle.
dude , No baby glock, not crossing an international border twice and multiple state lines. Dont do it!!I am carrying one this weekend but I have a CCW permit that is good for every state I will be in

TANK BAG:

Windex Wipies (to clean visor)

Sun Glasses

Chap Stick

Tire Press Guage

Maps

Pen & Paper

Asprin (Tylenol)

Change for Toll Roads

Tank bag rain cover

~~~Still have tons of room!

GLOVE BOX:

Cell Phone

Walkie Talkie

MP3 Player

UNDERSEAT:

Autocom

Tools

Registration & Insurance cards

REAR LUGGAGE:

Everything else (except the kitchen sink) :D

ON BACK:

2 litre Camel Back water bag (A must have for those long days)

...but I have a CCW permit that is good for every state I will be in
Hijack

I hope you're not coming to Oregon with it...
if he's passing through and "transports" it while on OR, he'll be fine.
Naww, This weekend it is Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and of course Utah. I only have 3 days to ride.

Next weeknd it will be Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming, and again... Utah

Then WFO, It will be Wyoming and Utah

Then ??????????? Oregon is supposed to be SWEET!!. I am lookin for an excuse.....

Back to your normal programming......................

So far I agree w/ all listed.

But you guys left out one very important thing to alway keep..........

A small roll of shit tickets. You never know when a roadside meal doesn't quite agree with you and your in the middle of nowhere.

I carry a travel pack of baby wipes. Only a buck or two at CVS and real small package that stows easy.

Tim

...but I have a CCW permit that is good for every state I will be in
Hijack

I hope you're not coming to Oregon with it...
if he's passing through and "transports" it while on OR, he'll be fine.
Kinda' funny you mention.... Today the boss asks me if i have fire and theft on the scooter,...he thinks i should consider as we'll be stopping in NY. So i buzz my agent and after 5 mins er' so she tells me it's going to be $830 cdn/yr,...dosen't make sense i know ,.. I said never mind.

-Don

The boss and i are going on a bit of a spin on the weekend down to Raleigh NC to look at some processing equipment. Looking like around 2300 km's from up here in Atlantic Canada. I'M Hoping for the best :dribble: but it's gonna be an ass burner. I've done a couple of long days(600km) on my 03' 600r but nothing like this and i expect/hope that the increased level of comfort will make it bearable. I was rooting around for suggestions on what stuff to bring with....I know most of the obvious,...Tire stuff/First aid/Tools. But i'm expecting there are a couple of good threads that i just can't find. Point me in the right direction please...

-I'll be putting on a fresh set of 021's so it will be a good test for them as the round trip will be about 5000km's

It's gonna' be awesome.

Cheers

-Don

The boss is taking his Eagle Fat Boy and he thinks that i'm going to be hurtin' :blink:
Small can of Plexus and good soft rag

Emerson Knife

Windmill Lighter (even though I dont smoke)

Surefire Flashlight

Camera

20 oz Water bottle

Registration / Insurance

Snack

Map (longer trips)

Pen / Paper

Cell Phone

Shades (if not on)

It's gonna' be awesome.

Cheers

-Don

Small can of Plexus and good soft rag

Emerson Knife

Windmill Lighter (even though I dont smoke)

Surefire Flashlight

Camera

20 oz Water bottle

Registration / Insurance

Snack

Map (longer trips)

Pen / Paper

Cell Phone

Shades (if not on)

Ohhhh good ... Yes I had a flashlight, knife, AND a source of fire in my bag (small torch, radio shack, for soldering, but really for fast survival fire type thingy...............I do not smoke either).. I had forgotten those

Notice the common things....... FACE SHIELD CLEANER stuff

Let me look at what I have in here for every day trips:

Imodium

Pepcid

Wet Ones

Widder controller

Glow sticks

Swiss Army knife

Leatherman tool

Mini Mag Light - it works too. I am seeing spots now.

Tire gage

spare Velcro strips

Tire patch kit and CO2 inflator

First Aid kit

Plexus

spare ear plugs

2 glasses cases and sun glasses

2 soft cloths for cleaning visor

Bungi net

water proof cover for bag

Radar Detector

spare GPS

I stuff some more stuff in there for longer trips.

Well,... that was a interesting 6 days. Thoughts, observations and stuff that happened during the 6 day 5500km(3400mile) spin to NC.

The trip started off on a scary note when about 5 mins into the ride i take a blackbird in the shield at 70 mph this was actually one of the two birds that i took off the head. About 8 hours in i thought i would be in deep shit with my lower back not enjoying the stock seat (i had always though that it rotated my hips forward too much) and out of desperation i put the front in the high position and the back in the lower. I had to support the underside with a pair of shorts

but it did the trick and if i had of done this at the start i would have enjoyed the whole ride more as the damage had allready been done by the previous 8 hours of riding. I will be hacking up the foam to make it suit me this winter...

OMG,...I guess i knew this but needed to be reminded that interstate traffic IS NOT moving at sane speeds....We were doing 150 to 160 KM/H(90 to 100mph) just to keep from boxed in by traffic and having someone crawl up my ass. Which brings up my main annoyance during the trip,..My new front BT 021 is either misbalanced or has a defect and vibrates up/down soo bad that it feels like it's comming off the ground at 170km/hr. My dealer is going to make this right.

It's ummmmm....REALLY HOT in NC!!!!!! and 37 deg C just plain sucks when the traffic is not mooving(Note to self....BUY MESH JACKET)

People were super helpfull as we stopped to ask directions alot (The boss didn't want to buy any maps,...what an idiot).

The bike performed flawlessly no surging and passing is just a twist and go (course' you all know this).

Highway pegs are a must for LD just to help mix up the ride position

The Blue Ridge Mts in Virginia are incredible/georgeous.

Touring with someone on a Fat Boy HD means stopping for fuel every 150 miles.

"Small World" moments

1) An equipment rep(Steve H) we met knows an FJR owner(Bill S),.. i think someone here???

2) I met the yzf600r owned by a dude from the 600r forums(my previous hangout) at a motel in the hills of NH......Totally amazing.

-Don

Latest posts