Difference between A and AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again great info guys. I am going to call the guy tomorrow. For the price he's asking, I can keep the bike I have no for fun times and use the FJ for commuting, 2 up'ing, and touring. We shall see.....

Has anybody figured out how to bump-start an AE that's carrying a dead battery? <_<
Uhhhhhhhh NO!! That ain't happening Buddy! But, like MC said, a miniature set of jumper cables and you will be carefree. You will be surprised at how many people will jump at the chance to start you up while they are looking at that beautiful bike. Including the ladies!! :D

God! I love this Bike!! :clapping:

Has anybody figured out how to bump-start an AE that's carrying a dead battery? <_<
Uhhhhhhhh NO!! That ain't happening Buddy! But, like MC said, a miniature set of jumper cables and you will be carefree. You will be surprised at how many people will jump at the chance to start you up while they are looking at that beautiful bike. Including the ladies!! :D

For some they stop for the bike, for other the rider... As long as they stop ;)

If the FJR doesn't work for you try one of these...

golden-retriever-puppies.jpg

That should work no matter how homely you are!

For some they stop for the bike, for other the rider... As long as they stop ;)

If the FJR doesn't work for you try one of these...

golden-retriever-puppies.jpg

That should work no matter how homely you are!
No Fair Scotty!! That's like bringing a Glock to a Knife Fight! The Hunchback from Notre Dame can Score with those! :p

Can't be done. I carry jumper leads with me when touring.
Been thinking very hard (it's always hard for me). There may be one way, but it would be very difficult.

Get the bike into third gear., this will entail moving the actuator arm by hand - from your Owner's Manual:

manualgearchange.jpg

Without touching a brake, turn on the ignition. This will leave the clutch engaged, it only disengages when a brake is used.

Now push, tow, whatever, with the bike in gear, don't touch a brake. Provided you are strong enough (I certainly am not, and that's why I said third, not second, which would probably be a better choice for dumping the clutch on a rolling bike.)

It MIGHT stay in gear, and MIGHT start.

I'm not trying it, though. I shall continue to carry my jumper leads.
blinksmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
it only disengages when a brake is used.
Really? So if your AE is parked in gear and you turn the ignition on without starting it, you still can't push it until you hit the brake to "trigger" the clutch? That makes hitting the starter button sound like a Bad Thing.

Really? So if your AE is parked in gear and you turn the ignition on without starting it, you still can't push it until you hit the brake to "trigger" the clutch? That makes hitting the starter button sound like a Bad Thing.
It sounds Doable in Theory but, I'm not trying that! Jumper Cables will be a lot easier and a Volunteer will come along in minutes to supply the power! :)

Unless you are riding in the Scottish Highlands like our Friend MC! That Lucky Bastard!! :D

But the AE won't start without you holding in the brake.

Yamaha thought of that. It won't attempt to turn the starter unless the clutch has been activated, it won't activate the clutch until the brake is on.

I always park in gear, but absolutely no problem. I sit on the bike, front brake on, turn key on with left hand, reach across with left hand to press the starter (don't know why I don't use my right thumb, but there we are), release brake and by the time my left hand's back on the bar, we're off
smile.gif

You can do things in any order (press starter, brake on, turn key or any other combination), it's always good. The worst you get is a slight movement forward against the brake as the clutch actually frees, I expect you get that starting in gear and the clutch pulled with the conventional.

Thinking about it, it won't turn the starter motor unless a brake is on even in neutral.

[edit] as gixxerjasen posted while I was in the garage proving it to myself
ohmy.gif
[/edit

Engaging the starter is not the issue, you and your drunkest friends become the starters.. But I'm guessing the AE will throw some new SH code your way in the attempt.
unsure.gif

Huh, never knew it would do that. Sure enough, the clutch is still engaged when you turn on the ignition until you touch the brake. Maybe you could push (more likely pull with a rope and a P/U truck) start the big pig. Like from third gear or so. But yes, you'll no doubt generate some codes

Been thinking very hard (it's always hard for me). There may be one way, but it would be very difficult.

Get the bike into third gear., this will entail moving the actuator arm by hand - from your Owner's Manual:

manualgearchange.jpg

Without touching a brake, turn on the ignition. This will leave the clutch engaged, it only disengages when a brake is used.

Now push, tow, whatever, with the bike in gear, don't touch a brake. Provided you are strong enough (I certainly am not, and that's why I said third, not second, which would probably be a better choice for dumping the clutch on a rolling bike.)

It MIGHT stay in gear, and MIGHT start.

I'm not trying it, though. I shall continue to carry my jumper leads.
blinksmiley.gif
Based on the idea that with the bike in gear, key on and touch the brake, you get the clutch to disengage and could get it rolling down a hill, correct? Would you then be able to turn the key off, then on again, and have the clutch engaged with ignition on and be able to bump start it? I'll try this later today and see. :huh:

Based on the idea that with the bike in gear, key on and touch the brake, you get the clutch to disengage and could get it rolling down a hill, correct? Would you then be able to turn the key off, then on again, and have the clutch engaged with ignition on and be able to bump start it? I'll try this later today and see. :huh:
Don't think so, the clutch won't engage if the bike is moving.

Seriously? Better be ATGATT. I'd try it but there are no hills around here :(

Definitely report back!