Differences in ignition switches

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That side-stand wire also goes into the relay unit. I wouldn't like to predict what would happen if it was left connected permanently, but it wouldn't surprise me if you had a flat battery in the morning.

I'm the second owner, and I know the first. Any work he had done was at the dealer. As for myself, the shop I use did have the ignition out when they were installing my risers, but they didn't touch the wiring. I have the pics uploaded to photo bucket, but have no idea how to get them here
no2.gif
Will drop in the dealer tomorrow and see what they will charge me to cut and program a new chip key for the new ignition. More curious than anything. Hopefully what rbentnail mentioned will work. It sounds way cheaper
Hey mcatrophy, where abouts in Derby are ya?
To insert a picture here from Photobucket you pull up the picture in Photobucket and select the 'direct link' . Then you come to this forum and, in edit mode, select the little square box in the edit box header that looks like a blur of blue and brown. If you hover your mouse over the box it says 'image'. Select 'image' then paste the photobucket link into the url field.

For me it's just a matter of curiosity, but I'd like to know why your switch is different from others.

OK, so did some playing around and discovered the following.. The other 2 wires do nothing. The same ignition switch crosses over to several other bike models, so may have something to do with them. Found this by hooking up another ignition with the extra wires and it worked fine. The ignition I used was from an R6. Bolted right in. The only issue was the immobilizer. 1 - The R6 ignition doesn't have the attachment screws for the immobilizer, 2- I have to make sure the old key is in the middle of the ignition ring when I started it. Apparently the black plastic ring around the ignition is the antenna for the immobilizer unit.

Of course my local dealer was not much help. When I asked the price of a new ignition switch they informed me that they don't sell them "Over the counter". I would have to bring the bike in so they can install it. I'll just keep an eye on Flea-Bay for one. Until then the Immobilizer is held in place by the ignition barrel and a few zap straps to keep it from moving around.