Differences?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afterburn

Modding Mechanic
Reaction score
I am still looking into buying a used FJR, but prices aren't exactly cheap here. I was first aiming for a 2003 with ABS, but it may be that that is too expensive for me.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the 2001, 2002 and 2003 models? Is there a year to steer clear from? Or doesn't it matter what year you get?

Thanks,

Gijs

Are you in the US? If so, I think they started importing FJR's into the US in 2003. I think ABS was available 2004 and thereafter, but I could be wrong on that. There are some minor improvements and changes along the way after 2003 that would be worthwhile, but not deal breakers.

I'm sure you'll get more info from the true detail afficianados on the board.

This would be a good topic for a different category: FJR Model Year Differences/Improvements.

The three North American FJR's are at the top of this forum.

2003, first one. (far left bike)

2004, first for ABS, bigger brake disc's on front, different turn signals. (middle bike, also the fastest one because of the color) :D

2005, change from 2004 - color. (slowest FJR) :D

2006, will be red and will have folding wings used to fly over traffic.

Afterburn, i'm going to assume you are not from the US since you asked about 01,and 02 models which the US didn't get. Well actually we got the 02 but Yamaha called it an 03 in the US. Your 02's forward are all the same in basic configuration except the addition of ABS in 03,US 04. The biggest problem seems to be bad valve guides in some bikes that Yamaha is addressing if the problem arises. The o1 models had a few rear shaft drive seal failures. Other than that I think the bikes are bullet proof. If Yamaha could ever figure out the exact cause of the valve guide problem it would be perfect.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
For the US market, I believe that they integrated the front signal/running lights (v. stems) in 2004, added a small storage compartment (rider's left, front fairing), offered ABS, and that they slightly increased the size of the brake rotors, also for the 2004 model year. 2005's were, I believe, unchanged from '04 except for color.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a 2004 ABS FJR, but I am pretty sure there was some discussion about the 03 being faster, and this was also confirmed by Dale Warchild.

Anyone else remember this?

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am indeed from Europe (Netherlands to be exact) and we got the FJR starting 2001.

The only visual difference I found were the front signal lights, other than that it looks the same. I wonder though if there are other technical differences, especially ones that concern reliability. I am still looking for a cheapish 2003 ABS model, but they are hard and far between. I have a lead on one though that I will check out this week.

On the other hand, I have found a few 2001 models with very low mileage at very good prices that are also interesting, so if there are no technical reasons to steer clear, that may be interesting too.

The rear suspension change came in '04 with all the other US changes mentioned so far to also include a larger windscreen. Only diff between '04 & '05 is color (and speed of course).

If you ride 2-up, don't forget the addition of the headlight adjusters to the US '04+ models. Much easier to crank two little wheels inside the front fairing than have to monkey with a few bolts to adjust the beams.

I ride mostly solo during the week and 2-up during the weekends... so that was a really nice addition to the 04 & 05 US spec bikes.

Afterburn,

If you haven't already, you should look up the FJROwners.com website (geez, can I say that?). It probably has more international/european participation than this one has -at the moment. You might get some good responses there. You also might check the EZboard site ; ) I'm not sure why, but you could do it anyways.

Glad to have you with us. The more international this forum gets - the better in my eyes (Unless they try to ram the European Constitution down our throats and make us a colony again!! Live free or die! -now back to our regular progamming).

I own a 2004 ABS FJR, but I am pretty sure there was some discussion about the 03 being faster, and this was also confirmed by Dale Warchild.Anyone else remember this?
Thats an urban legand started when Yamaha wanted to recall the 04's, They discovered they made them way too fast compaired to the 03's. They corrected it with the 05's and got the power back down to where they wanted it. :D :D :D