DIY Oil Changes While On the Road - Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the earlier post suggesting using a car wash drain pit. In many areas, local ordinances may require the water be recycled and draining your oil there could get someone in some pretty serious trouble! Probably not a good idea!
Wondered when someone was going to notice that. :D

There was an article in Iron Butt magazine within the past year or so about oil mileage. The authors, two IBR riders, rode the entire event without changing oil, and then had their oil analyzed. One was an FJR the other was an RT. I do not recall the exact numbers, but the lab said the oil in both bikes was still satisfactory after finishing the rally and recommended a 9000 mile service interval for the FJR. Taking your bike 7000 miles on a trip without an oil change is not a risk.
Well not exactly, but close enough.

I rode from ATL to PITT . IBR start. Back to PITT, changed oil. Ran for leg 2 and leg 3 of rally and 2,800 miles home to SOCAL. So in effect same as running rally on one oil change. I want to say 11-12k.

I've done hotel pkg lots, Walmart, and Autozone. Hotel pkg lots not so good cause no good plan for used oil.

The blackstone report is in the article if you are into that sort of thing. These articles are now avail in PDF form, but no linky avail.

Regarding the earlier post suggesting using a car wash drain pit. In many areas, local ordinances may require the water be recycled and draining your oil there could get someone in some pretty serious trouble! Probably not a good idea!
Wondered when someone was going to notice that.
biggrin.png
I was hoping who ever posted that was being funny but I didn't see any indication that it was meant in jest. I can't find the post now and don't remember who wrote it.

It was Bounce. I wasn't sure either, but I didn't know if he was kidding, and I wasn't in the mood for a fight. Lol. I'm tired this week!!

I'm glad he was joking, because that would be terrible to do and could get the rider in a LOAD of trouble.

Last time I unlimbered that old saw was in a discussion with a tree hugger friend of mine. Man was it interesting to see her explode all over the screen.

It's up there in the "shaft drive bikes can't wheely" trope.

Last time I unlimbered that old saw was in a discussion with a tree hugger friend of mine. Man was it interesting to see her explode all over the screen.
It's up there in the "shaft drive bikes can't wheely" trope.
HaHaHa! Well, you got one fish to take the hook and one was nibbling your bait a little before you pulled your line in, but fishing was a little slow around this lake.

And here I was feeling anxious because I'm 400 miles overdue for my 8K service....

I agree with infrared. If you look at generator specifications, traditionally oil was good for 100 hours. Going on a long trip, cruising at high speeds for a long time, your oil will survive quite nicely.
This is something I plan on having tested at the next oil-change.

I have an 8000 mile ride planned and when I return I'll send a sample of the oil from my 100k engine off to Blackburn Laboratories. They will tell me if I pushed the oil too far, but even if I did there will be little consequence for what amounts to missing a single oil change.

I'll post the results.