Do folks that bought an 06 to replace their 04 or 05 like them better?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys all forgot the most important thing:

You don't have to put the bike in neutral with the key on to open the storage box. :)

B)

RadioHowie --

The wheelbase of the '06 is longer. From the Owner's Manuals:

'04 wheelbase = 1515 mm = 59.65 inches

'06 wheelbase = 1545 mm = 60.83 inches

'04 swingarm = 532 mm

'06 swingarm = 567 mm

5 mm difference?

'06 rpm = '04 rpm x 36/37 = '04 rpm x 0.973

'04 @ 4K rpm = '06 @ 3892 rpm

Negative pressure between rider and windshield probably has been changed. The straight-through vent under the instrument pod and the vents next to the headlights are bringing additional air into the area behind the windshield and instrument pod. This is likely raising the pressure in that area. So the pressure in that area is less negative than before or it may now be positive.

The shock on the '06 may have a slightly shorter stroke. But the linkage between the shock and swingarm is likely changed so the stroke of the shock may be unchanged.

Also from the Owner's Manuals:

'04 ABS 49 State = 622# with oil & fuel

'06 ABS 49 State = 642# with oil & fuel

So, a gain of 20#. Don't know if those weights include the empty side cases. Probably not. '04 empty side cases weigh 13.5# each.

The '06 is likely a more refined machine. Not sure it's worth the prohibitive cost of a trade from an '04 to '06.

Last edited by a moderator:
RadioHowie --
The wheelbase of the '06 is longer. From the Owner's Manuals:

'04 wheelbase = 1515 mm = 59.65 inches

'06 wheelbase = 1545 mm = 60.83 inches

'04 swingarm = 532 mm

'06 swingarm = 567 mm

5 mm difference?

'06 rpm = '04 rpm x 36/37 = '04 rpm x 0.973

'04 @ 4K rpm = '06 @ 3892 rpm

Well hell...that's what I get for believing Yamaha's website:

specs.jpg

And 108 rpm....WOW!!! That sure cuts down the buzzies! Let's go trade! :)

In a sentimental way the 06 will never really replace my 04,Ireally loved the 04, from my experience of riding about 4000 miles the first week I had the bike I don't think the 06 accelerates as fast as the 04,maybe the taller gearing to reduce rpm's? I don't know, I just know when i really hit that 04 it was gone and this newer one doesn't.Overall I like the improvements that have been made,I'll have to get used to the linked brakes,but i really like the color of the new bike and am satisfied with it.

I sold my 03 in 350 miles and knew I did not like the bike in the 1st 50 miles. It had, in my opinion, too many faults. I believe the issues I had with the 03 have been corrected. I now have 7k on my 06 and I'm considering replacing my 05 BMW LT with the FJR. Two months ago I never thought that would happen. RIDE SAFE

I sold my 03 in 350 miles and knew I did not like the bike in the 1st 50 miles. It had, in my opinion, too many faults. I believe the issues I had with the 03 have been corrected. I now have 7k on my 06 and I'm considering replacing my 05 BMW LT with the FJR. Two months ago I never thought that would happen. RIDE SAFE
It was the new glove box that won you over, wasn't it?

B)

In a sentimental way the 06 will never really replace my 04,Ireally loved the 04, from my experience of riding about 4000 miles the first week I had the bike I don't think the 06 accelerates as fast as the 04,maybe the taller gearing to reduce rpm's? I don't know, I just know when i really hit that 04 it was gone and this newer one doesn't.Overall I like the improvements that have been made,I'll have to get used to the linked brakes,but i really like the color of the new bike and am satisfied with it.
My '05 is definately faster than my '06. The '06 is heavier and geared taller and has a more restrictive exhaust because of the extra cats in each can.

RadioHowie-- You hit the nail on the head, in my professional opinion.

My '05 is set up perfectly and I understand that it is not a sportbike, that's why there are two other sportbikes in the garage. The FJR is the long mileage master and the Iron Butt which used to be a dream, is now a frequent reality.

My only real gripes are the heat issue, and having grown up in Tucson, you get used to the heat. The other is that the FJR is a sport touring bike and not a sport bike, so the GSXR and R-1 take that place.

I think Yamaha has made a great bike which trounces the competition on most levels.

As for the '06, I'll wait. I need a new porsche turbo before I get a new FJR. :D

RadioHowie-- You hit the nail on the head, in my professional opinion.My '05 is set up perfectly and I understand that it is not a sportbike, that's why there are two other sportbikes in the garage. The FJR is the long mileage master and the Iron Butt which used to be a dream, is now a frequent reality.

My only real gripes are the heat issue, and having grown up in Tucson, you get used to the heat. The other is that the FJR is a sport touring bike and not a sport bike, so the GSXR and R-1 take that place.

I think Yamaha has made a great bike which trounces the competition on most levels.

As for the '06, I'll wait. I need a new porsche turbo before I get a new FJR. :D
You have an R-1 AND a Gixxer? Two-fisted death wish, huh?

I know the feeling...here's what I have besides my FJR to keep me busy --

Pat2.jpg
and
ZRX.jpg

Of course, there's less chance of getting killed by the one on the right than the one on the left. :)

I sold my 05 and bought an 06. My 05 was not the ABS model. I am now a believer in ABS, I am sure I would have crashed into the side of a Burgandy mini van in Maine had it not been for the ABS on my 06. The 06 is a little heavier and I do notice. The 06 is much cooler, this was my primary reason for trading up. I like the gearing of the 06 and the gear indicator.

Wow you guys are making me rethink my plan of replacing my bike with an 07. I've owned an 04 ABS, and now an 03. The 06 was great at reno, many improvements. I've worked through the various inconviences of the older models and wouldn't even consider replacing mine if I had not ridden/reviewed the changes of the 06.

It's tough deciding if it is worth giving up my custom painted/farkled bike and 5K for ABS and other conviences. :dntknw:

Wow you guys are making me rethink my plan of replacing my bike with an 07. I've owned an 04 ABS, and now an 03. The 06 was great at reno, many improvements. I've worked through the various inconviences of the older models and wouldn't even consider replacing mine if I had not ridden/reviewed the changes of the 06.
It's tough deciding if it is worth giving up my custom painted/farkled bike and 5K for ABS and other conviences. :dntknw:
Personally I think ABS is fantastic but I have a bike without it too. I'd ride the wheels off your FJR and then upgrade. That's what I'm going to do anyway. :D

My 05 just now has 13K on it. Hell it's just broken in. Despite a few imperfections, there isn't another bike I want (besides a BMW GS) or one that can do what the FJR does.

-r

Without quoting anyone:

The increased length of the swingarm exceeds the increase in wheelbase; the front wheel has a greater percentage of the bike's weight on it. The way to do all that is to move the engine forward... but to move the engine forward, Yamaha would have had to go to a curved radiator to clear the front wheel. Oh, wait... :)

And as for the heat issue, I placed my had on the tank and frame of a pre-'06 FJR, then on the same areas of my bike after riding-- along with the owner of that pre-'06 FJR-- and we BOTH thought the pre-'06 was a LOT hotter. Makes me wonder whether some of the pre-'06 owners have any chestnuts left or if the nerves have just gone dead.

If a cheaper shock CAN be used, it will? Hmmm.... like the extra bushing the '06 got in the front forks. Another cost savings measure, I guess to go along with the rest of the cheapening of the newer model.

I guess I missed out on getting one before the '06's came out. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swingarm extended 1.3 inches, yet the wheelbase remains the same...how'd they do that? Sounds like a compromise would have to be made in either rake and trail on the front end, or swingarm pivot to steering head distance...1.3 inches SHORTER to compensate for the addition "out back".

If the rake and trail were "tightened up" to accomodate the lost 1.3 inches from swingarm pivot-to-front axle distance, then the steering has been compromised compared to the oft-praised stability of 03-05 FJRs.

If the rake and trail hasn't been tweaked, then the 1.3 inches gained in the back half of the bike will have to come out of the pivot-to-steering head distance, meaning a 1.3 inch loss in the seat to bar relationship. No wonder Yamaha put adjustable bars on it. :)

On top of everything, while the swingarm has been lengthend 1.3 inches, the rear wheel travel hasn't increased at all. That makes no sense. It tells me that the shock isn't being worked as hard as on earlier models, which tells me a cheaper shock will suffice. And if a cheaper shock CAN be used, then it WILL be used. No manufacturer doesn't cut corners when they can.

And the slight change in the final drive ration is an almost meaningless amount of "slight". What is it? 50-60 rpm?

I can't imagine you're gonna get ANY "I hate my '06 -- wish I had my '0X back" replies. No one wants to admit to making a $13,000 mistake and buyer's remorse is hard for folks to verbalize and admit to.

Probably the biggest reason to trade is the "gottahaves". Gotta have a new one.

Speaking only for myself, except for the YCCS, nothing about the '06 is evolutionary, or revolutionary, enough to make me consider trading. Except for the "newness", I see it strictly as a lateral move.

They did not change any rake and trail numbers. How did they do that? They moved the swingarm pivot position forward. Yes, the frame is different, but the rake and trail are the same. The distance from the swingarm pivot to the steering head is shorter, but it doesn't affect the bar to seat relationship. The wheel base is the same, but the overall length of the bike is not. It is about 2 inches longer. They lengthened the part of the sub frame behind the rider about 2 inches. It gives the passenger more room. It is hard to tell because the bags are moved back so it looks the same. The exhaust pipes are also moved in a inch on each side so they look the same in relation to the bags. The tank is higher too, but you really don't notice it much.

The change in gearing changed the RPM by about 500 in 5th gear. I do seem to get about 2-3 more MPG on the 06 than the 03, on simular trips with simular gear.

The shock is the exact same shock as previous years, only one of the two springs has been stiffened. They also stiffened the front fork springs.

The lack of back pressure is an effect of the center vent under the windscreen, not the windscreen it's self.

Your assumption that they somehow made compromises that make the new bike less in some respects is just not right. The new bike is everything the old one is, and a little more. Whether it is enough better to justify trading up is your decision. If I had low mileage 04 or 05, I wouldn't do it. If I were looking for my first 06 I think all the improvements would probably be worth the extra money.

Tom

IBA 161

I had an 04 with 19k on the clock and had no issues-loved the bike. :D I ordered the 06 as an impluse at the end of December because I wanted the adventure of riding it home from Alabama to Rhode Island. The 06 is a little more comfortable right out of the box as far as the handlebar placement and the stock seat. The guages are better on the older models. I installed a buzzer on the directionals because they were so small on the 06. My son bought my 04 so I got to switch off and try both. Bottom line is the the 04 is smoother and shifts better but the redesign and improvements in the fairing and ergos make it a worthwile purchase
Where did you get the buzzer, will it work on the 05, and how much trouble was it to install??? :blink:

My apologies if this has already been asked, I have been somewhat out of the forum loop and wasn't able to track it through a search. Anyway, my local dealer has an 06 on the floor and I was considering trading my 04 in on it. I love the color and the design changes, but I haven't ridden it. For those who have made the change...what do you think? Big improvement? Moderate? Like the older models better? I'm all ears and eyes. Spare me no details, I've got the bug, but I don't want to deal with buyers remorse. Educate me. please.
Gentlemen, the question was asked of those that had made the change. I have an 06 and love it but that does not mean squat because I can not compare it with the previous versions. For those that own a previous version and have not made the change your opinion means squat as well. Let the people that have made the change and can speak intelligently about the subject do so without all this meaningless dribble and speculation sprinkled in between.

Gentlemen, the question was asked of those that had made the change. I have an 06 and love it but that does not mean squat because I can not compare it with the previous versions. For those that own a previous version and have not made the change your opinion means squat as well. Let the people that have made the change and can speak intelligently about the subject do so without all this meaningless dribble and speculation sprinkled in between.
I got news for ya there, special sauce...there AIN'T no gentlemen in here! :rofl:

Lest you forget, you're in a "discussion" group. Things get discussed. Opinions get expressed. Even amongst the bullshit, delicious shittakes can grow.

Now, wipe the drivel off your chin. Your pillow's gettin' wet.