Does the FJR have a low first gear at all?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but I’m considering coming back to an FJR after years of owning and riding BMW’s.  Since I sold my last 2 FJR’s I’ve been involved with working as a MotoRef for USA Cycling and also working some of the largest Pro Cycling Races in the USA for the past 6 years.  One of the good things about riding a BMW GSA is they have a pretty low first gear.  Climbing some of these mountain passes we literally ride at about 6-7 miles per hour.  The GSA does great on this without having to feather the clutch.  It can lug for along time at about 7mph without touching the clutch. Also I’m typically riding 2up on these races like Amgen Tour of California or Tour of Utah.  I’ve never ridden an FJR in one of these events but curious as to how slow you could lug an FJR without having to feather the clutch.   If I had to feather the clutch on the GSA in one of these races I’d probably burn it up pretty fast.  We can be climbing for 30-40 minutes straight sometimes. And you burn up a clutch on a BMW your gonna be in for a spendy dealer bill to have it replaced.   So how would the FJR do in an event like this?  Or would you recommend against it?

The engine is turning at about 1000 rpm at 7 mph in first. Not too much torque there; trickling in traffic is ok, but up hill 2-up?

On the other hand, the clutch is pretty good at surviving a lot of slipping, and in any case it's not hard for a home mechanic to replace the plates if they do get worn out. 

Aside from the gearing, the FJR is very heavy at low speeds.  If your cycling duties are a big part of your m/c needs, you might keep looking.  FWIW - I have seen the FJR used in this capacity on some of the bigger name bicycle tours on TV.  So I know it can be done, just not sure it can be done well.

A lot of those riders are 2-up with all kinds of equipment (cameras, sound equipment, signage, etc).  That doesn't help the concern.

The Versys 1000 is a SOLID 100 pounds lighter.  The 1st gear is definitely lower, and being chain driven, you have options.

Given your requirements I would seriously consider buying a chain driven bike so you can create a custom gearing that meets your needs.  I changed the gearing on my old Vstrom 1000 significantly (-1 tooth front, +3 in the rear) to make it better for off roading.  I could idle that bike along through a really rough section at 1-2 mph while standing on the pegs.  It still would run up to 100 mph in 6th gear, not that I wanted to do that on that bike with knobby tires.  

Chain maintenance is not that rigorous in these days of modern o-ring chains.  Basically you spritz the chain with lube at the end of a full day of riding.  I never clean my chains anymore.  I just use DuPont Chain Saver Teflon spray.

Given your requirements I would seriously consider buying a chain driven bike so you can create a custom gearing that meets your needs.  I changed the gearing on my old Vstrom 1000 significantly (-1 tooth front, +3 in the rear) to make it better for off roading.  I could idle that bike along through a really rough section at 1-2 mph while standing on the pegs.  It still would run up to 100 mph in 6th gear, not that I wanted to do that on that bike with knobby tires.  

Chain maintenance is not that rigorous in these days of modern o-ring chains.  Basically you spritz the chain with lube at the end of a full day of riding.  I never clean my chains anymore.  I just use DuPont Chain Saver Teflon spray.
Yes there are a few riding the Big KTM Adventure’s lower geared.   But for me I don’t think it’s feasable from Southern Utah to Los Angeles where I work as a Fireman.  It’s hard to beat a shaft drive for long distance riding.  Not sure I want a chain drive for that duty. Been riding a 09 BMW GSA.   It’s been a great bike but either time to buy a newer one that’s liquid cooled or look at other options.   To be honest that 8.9 gallon tank is going to be hard to part ways with.  But the service costs on a BMW are just a lot.   There is weird things that that seem to happen all the time that need to go to the dealer for and when it does it’s typically very expensive.  During Tour of Utah I needed an oil change and also a recall once again for a fuel strip sensor.  It ended up costing me almost $200 for that oil change.  I typically do them myself but I figured since they were doing a recall etc I’d just have them change the oil while it was there.  

Ive also owned 3 Super Teneres also.  A 13, 14 and 16.  Great bikes but just could never figure out the wind buffeting on it for my height.  And I tried all sorts of stuff.  But I’m a big guy at 6’5 250.  The Tenere also doesn’t have the great wind protection of the BMW.  This is why I’ve been considering another FJR.   I’ve never worked an event on one but I do remember it was a good long distance machine.  

[SIZE=12pt]
29f294c3fccf6868b3778a0571fe3691.jpg
[/SIZE]

I went from a 13 FJR to a 14 GSA, if I were trying to do what you want to do I would upgrade to a LC GSA.  Even better wind protection, plenty of low gear , lower CG.  Ride both, then decide.  They are both great bikes, purchase the one that best suits your requirements.

I don't know if anyone will actually know. Not unless they've tried what you're doing, and I never have. I have a buddy with a GS800 or whatever it is, and he has done at least one. Of course, that's not helpful, but what might be is that he asked me if I'd be willing to go next time. That's a definite maybe. So, I MIGHT know some time before this time next year. Which, again, probably isn't helpful.

However on a serious note, what if you just installed the smallest tire you could find that would fit an FJR's rim? Not much gearing change, but going to a 190 is enough to fix most of the speedo error. Maybe going small enough would give you what you need, if you even need it. I think mine runs just above idle pretty easily. 

Another thought is, if you have the money, maybe sticking with a GSA is the best choice. From what I've seen, the newer bikes seem to have less gremlins than the new versions of the older ones. So, basically, new bike to new bike, the 2019s have less recall and weird issues. Of course, there's always that "built on Friday" bike that just ruines it for everyone. 

Either way, good luck!