Dog Bone Suspension Swapping Guide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in a machine shop with a water-jet so I can cut any size you like. I had to lower mine a little to get my feet on the ground. If there is a size you want but can't find let me know all I need is the center-line distance. I can cut them for gen I or II's. Thanks, Steve ([email protected])

Any thought on raising just the rear and not the front? Adverse handling??? I would love more clearance. Anyone got a link to those dogbones on ebay?

Any thought on raising just the rear and not the front? Adverse handling??? I would love more clearance.
I think it depends on some variables -- riding 2-up all the time (or, a 'generously-sized' rider) may not affect geometry as much as a smaller/lighter rider?

I don't think anyone has reported anything other than 'quicker' handling by raising the back of the bike (no 'handling problems'?)? :unsure:

I think, too, that Gen IIs may be less affected to geometry changes by raising the rear due to their longer wheelbase? :unsure:

Well I go about 235 without gear so YEAH. LOL. I was also wondering if anyone had to change any suspension setting. Mine are pretty much maxed out on the stiff side already.

Raised the rear end of our FJR with shorter dog bones right before CFR ....................... :yahoo:

One of the best mods I've done. Improved clearance is great for 2-up, didn't drag a peg once, which was a not uncommon occurence previously.

Tips into corners easier (quicker handling) and front end feed-back is improved. Handling problems ?? A big NONE! :yahoo:

I run Haulin' Ashes suspension settings and didn't need to change them.

If you're thinking about doing it, have at it, you won't be sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a set of the 5/8ths bones off of Ebay.

This was the "stock"clearance when on the center stand.

0001.jpg

Here are pictures of the new (black) vrs old bones

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

Now the finished deal. I got a net gain of 5/8 inches. Just as advertised.

0004.jpg

This is a very easy mod to do. It took me all of an hour. Just be warned . The first time you go to put it on the center stand be careful. I felt like I was going to launch her out of the garage. :D

I can't imagine putting the 1.25 kit on her. I don't think that the rear tire would come off the ground on the center stand.

And BTW.. Thanks WW.

The seller on Ebay claims that they have had no complaints about the rear tire touching when on the centerstand, however, they expect me to pay the shipping back if it does.... this makes me suspicious. Seeing that nobody can vouch for their claim further increases my suspicion.

The seller on Ebay claims that they have had no complaints about the rear tire touching when on the centerstand, however, they expect me to pay the shipping back if it does.... this makes me suspicious. Seeing that nobody can vouch for their claim further increases my suspicion.

That is a good point...has anyone on the forum installed the 1.25 rise that can speak to whether the tire hits the ground or not?

Installed ebay dogbones and rear tire is kissing the ground....on a side note its much easier to get it on the center stand now LOL

Installed ebay dogbones and rear tire is kissing the ground....on a side note its much easier to get it on the center stand now LOL

As in touching? I would be concerned about mounting such a riser when the time for new tires arises.

Well my tires are pretty new and my suspension is maxed out on the stiff side settings wise...We shall see. Dogbones are easy to change out...

As in touching? I would be concerned about mounting such a riser when the time for new tires arises.
It's very common to have a 2x4 or wooden patch of ply moved under the centerstand to gain some height when removing rear wheels. On other bikes, this is necessary to preclude having to remove the rear fender to get the wheel off.

I am planning on having a buddy weld some extra steel to the feet if I decide to keep this setup.
I'm assuming no issue with the side stand; might even be a little more stable

Any thought of having a small plate welded to the bottom of the side stand for a permanent pad to reenforce for parking the bike on soft surfaces