Downshifting - is the manual correct?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken45

Reaction score
The online 2011 FJR manual (page 6-3) recommends the following downshift points:

Shift down points:5th → 4th: 25 km/h (16 mi/h)

4th → 3rd: 25 km/h (16 mi/h)

3rd → 2nd: 25 km/h (16 mi/h)

2nd → 1st: 25 km/h (16 mi/h)
ALL downshifting is recommended at 16 mph no matter what gear you are coming from? I suspect an error, but who am I to argue :(

Ken

I downshift when I feel like it. Depending on how much engine braking I wanna use. What the Hell is this so called "manual." Weird.....

The online 2011 FJR manual (page 6-3) recommends the following downshift points:

Shift down points:5th → 4th: 25 km/h (16 mi/h)

4th → 3rd: 25 km/h (16 mi/h)

3rd → 2nd: 25 km/h (16 mi/h)

2nd → 1st: 25 km/h (16 mi/h)
ALL downshifting is recommended at 16 mph no matter what gear you are coming from? I suspect an error, but who am I to argue :(

Ken
If ya have to ask...................

I hear the Zuma is a nice bike. :lol:

Shift the way you've shifted your whole life! Whatever you're comfortable with. :rolleyes:

For the AE, The manual says to completely CLOSE the Throttle at each Shift! :blink:

That will get you a Mouth Full of Windshield every Time!! :huh:

Idiots!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shift the way you've shifted your whole life! Whatever you're comfortable with.
Yes, I'm sure I will but I've never seen a reco like what's in the manual and I wonder if it's a typo for this particular manual, or is consistent.

BTW, I notice that the UPshift speeds in the FJR manual are exactly the same as for my '92 750 Honda Nighthawk! Weird!

Ken

BTW, I notice that the UPshift speeds in the FJR manual are exactly the same as for my '92 750 Honda Nighthawk! Weird!
Not Weird! It's Probably a Carbon Copied Statement. One idiot put that in the Nighthawk Manual so, This Idiot said: Hey, If they got away with that, So can I!! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode my FJ1200 for 180,000 miles and NEVER had it apart (checked valve adjustment 2 times) and never had the 2nd gear will be junk by 20,000 miles problem. If the shift feels good, keep doing it. If you miss a shift or doesn't want to go in, stop doing that. If you miss a shift and you don't normaly, don't assume you are having a bad day. Pull the shifter off the pivot, clean everything and re-grease the pivot (no, don't spray your favotite lube at it and call it a day). My old FJ1200 is still running strong and I still have the original 2nd gear, clutch, fork seals and yes, the original rear sprocket in it.

Yeah, maybe Honda and Yamaha used the same translation outfit ;-)
I lived in Yokohama, Japan for 4 years '76-'80 Stationed at Yokosuka on the USS Midway. I don't doubt that for a Second. :yahoo:

They have their F#@K That!! It's Friday! Let's get the Hell outta here Moments Too, Trust Me on that one. They Party just as much as we do, if not MUCH more! :rolleyes:

Gosh: thanks for the post. I don't think I've ever even looked at the speedometer when downshifting. I do it with my ears, not my eyes. Maybe cast the occasional glance at the the tach. WBill

Gosh: thanks for the post. I don't think I've ever even looked at the speedometer when downshifting. I do it with my ears, not my eyes. Maybe cast the occasional glance at the the tach. WBill
Ding! Ding! Ding! :) That's what I meant by: Do it the way you've done it your Whole Life! :D

If it matters, the manual for my 1979 Yamaha 750 Special had the same parameters, and I ignored them, too. Probably just "cut and pasted" that part of the manual to save time.

When the bike is not going "eeeeeeeeeeeee!" I down shift so it is.

I remember , I think it was back in the early 70's.... I actually looked at the tach. the only gauge I pay much attention to now is speedo...and that only when I see a cop......

Downshift with your FOOT will be much easier than downshifting with your ears.

Sheesh, n00bs!!

Downshift with your FOOT will be much easier than downshifting with your ears.

Sheesh, n00bs!!
No that shits funny.... Even to an AE owner!
biggrin.gif

"Manual" Yea, he used to work for me, but the "imigra" came and gave him a ride home. He'll be back soon! :)

"Downshift with your FOOT will be much easier than downshifting with your ears."

"Sheesh, n00bs!!"

"Now that shits funny.... Even to an AE owner!"

OMG!!! That is hysterical!!!! Good point too...

"Downshift with your FOOT will be much easier than downshifting with your ears."

"Sheesh, n00bs!!"

"Now that shits funny.... Even to an AE owner!"

OMG!!! That is hysterical!!!! Good point too...
I must have bigger ears than you guys. I was thinking about writing that I downshifted with my butt. Another bullet dodged! WBill