DR650S, AKA Big Suzy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy my DR650 so much the FJR gets little love these days! You are on the DRRiders forum right?

Nice seats. My KTM 500EXC needs one but I can't get any higher. Falling off in parking lots sucks.

Looking to lower it two inches this winter.

Nice seats. My KTM 500EXC needs one but I can't get any higher. Falling off in parking lots sucks.Looking to lower it two inches this winter.
The Sargent was a "Low" version. I got it used from Fontanaman. I did not really like it any better than he did. But it was lower.

Nate at Fisher decided to lower mine when he customized it. I did not really want it lower, I wanted it more comfortable. Fisher's Upholstery lowered, leveled and widened the OE seat and it is much better than it looks.

I would think that Seat Concepts offers a "low" version also.

Last night I installed the Ricochet skid plate on the DR. Looks tough. Reflects a LOT of engine noise upward.

Nice seats. My KTM 500EXC needs one but I can't get any higher. Falling off in parking lots sucks.Looking to lower it two inches this winter.
Simple solution, don't try and get on the bike from the ground. Put your left foot on the peg first then get on the bike. It makes all the difference in the world. XR650L rider. Pretty tall bike also. Reverse the process getting off the bike also.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I do this on my dirt bikes also. Even at ove 6 foot tall, a little help swinging a leg over is welcome.

On the FJR, did anyone else ever notice that little arm with a ball on the end sticking up off the side stand leg? Ive gotten in the habit of stepping on that when mounting and dismounting. The extra 2-3 inches of height makes it much easier. Try it!

RFH

Last night I installed the Ricochet skid plate on the DR. Looks tough. Reflects a LOT of engine noise upward.
Check out the Tusk Skid Plate Pad, a foam rubber piece that goes between the engine and the skid plate to insulate And dampen the noise. Cheap and effective.

When you use the sidestand to mount, make sure that you move your torso up over the bike before putting weight on the left peg. You want your weight primarily on the suspension, not all on the stand. Alternatively, you can mount on the right side which will add less weight on the side stand.

When dismounting the suspension will already be compressed by your weight and so the bike will be closer to vertical with the stand down, therefore less weight is supported by the stand and more is on the suspension.

The DR650 also has a 'lowering bolt' built into the rear linkage. You can drop the suspension, maybe raise the forks, and get the silver (shorter ) kick-stand , and maybe not climb on using the pegs.

It's a nice feature that's built into this bike (for free) other than the $40 kick-stand.

Why don't all you short legged fookers just were 1970's platform shoes? :whistle:

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

The DR650 also has a 'lowering bolt' built into the rear linkage. You can drop the suspension, maybe raise the forks, and get the silver (shorter ) kick-stand , and maybe not climb on using the pegs.
It's a nice feature that's built into this bike (for free) other than the $40 kick-stand.
You’re missing the point of these off-road capable dual sport and ADV type bikes: You want the bike to be too tall to swing your leg over because that is the only way to get the required height and ground clearance you need for off road. Even the CRF1000 Africa Twin that I just added to my garage is too tall to easily swing a leg over. And with the seat in the high position, which I need for my legs not to be scrunched up, I can’t flat foot it, which is perfectly fine with me. Flat footing is over-rated.

The very first "waterhead" R1200GS I ever saw was ridden by a gentleman about 5'5" tall. In response to my respectfully phrased questions he told me, "I never try to flat foot. I never sit on it and try to back it up. I stand next to it and move it wherever I want it to go. I can move it better and faster like that than you can sitting on it. I am NOT going to let my lack of height prevent me from enjoying a motorcycle that I want to ride."

After that I never worried about "flat footing" any motorcycle. Pop always mounts his FJR and now his CRF250Rally as though he were getting on a horse. Left foot on the left footpeg like a stirrup and swing the right leg over. He says that if a component is too weak to support that then he wants to know it while the bike is sitting still.

Fred, I did not know you had an Africa Twin. I am in Awe of you.

Fred, I did not know you had an Africa Twin.
I do now. Just scored a 2017 leftover A model (regular clutch) a couple of weeks ago to replace my tired old Strom. Strom will be going to live up in Vermont with my son so we can ride off pavement together. At 65k miles now, the Strom was a great bike. I just had an itch that needed scratching. You can find a couple of fotos of the new AT in the North America tag thread on this forum.

RFH,

Nary a peep out of you on this subject for quite some time. Have you been riding it? If so, how are you liking the setup so far?

Big Suzy has been sitting and collecting dust and so has the FJR. I just have too many things going on. Life.

However, I rode the FJR yesterday and pulled the DR out today. Hit it gently with the pressure washer, cleaned the chain, and rode it around the yard a few times. I am going to ride it to work in the morning.

Every time I mess with that damned chain I like my FJR that much more.

Thats the secret. Stop messing with it!

Hey, you are lucky enough to have the option to ride. We are still looking at another several weeks before getting out on two wheels.

Well the chain somehow got a light smattering of surface rust whilst parked. I thought it was properly sorted but apparently my Big Bend ride did it some meanness I had not expected.

It was about 80F here today. I was able to cut most of my grass but the yard is still so wet from the never ending rain that the ZTR kept getting stuck and it was making ruts. We have gone about 4 days in a row with only a couple of light rains so maybe we will dry out one day.

Which is my way of saying that I COULD have been riding my motorcycles all winter except that I was a sissy and chose not to ride in the rain. Both bikes are working fine.