Driving Lights - Routing Wire Harness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky.88

Reaction score
Morning All,

I'm new to the FJR. Took some time over the weekend to attempt pulling off some body panels to run the wiring harness for a set of PIAA driving lights that I pulled off my old bike. I quickly realized removing certain body panels was not trivial. And I don't yet have a service manual to look for help.

To save myself a lot of time / effort unnecessarily removing body panels, I thought I'd ask for some advice on how / where to route the wiring harness. I'm connecting the lights down low on the forks. Any thoughts / advice to help me out before I tear everything apart would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

Newbie mistake #1: Just realized the battery is not under the seat as on every other bike I've owned. Now that I know where I'm looking to hook up to the battery (right side fairing), the job is much easier. I just have to determine where to tap into existing lighting wiring.

good that you have the fastest, most attractive of the Feejers !!! :rolleyes:

check out fjrtech.com...https://www.fjrtech.com/farkles.cfm there's a section called "disabling windshield auto retract"

when I disabled the auto windshield retract, I tapped into the power wire there for ignition key switched power

actually use a posi-tap with a length of wire long enough to go out from under the dash...a couple of relay coils go there for the few farkles I have :rolleyes:

then check out how to remove the panels up top which are the most common needed pulling off...fjrtech...maintenance...Yamaha 1300 Dash Panels

as far as routing wiring, I cable tie the wires going down to fork lights using the brake hoses

it's ok to use one of the smaller caliper bolts for ground, but it actually is best to run the ground back up to the dash area for a more "proper" ground

hope this helps

rgds

Mike in Nawlins'

actually use a posi-tap with a length of wire long enough to go out from under the dash...a couple of relay coils go there for the few farkles I have :rolleyes:
Mike - I had to check out 'posi-tap'. Those look great! Can't believe I've never seen them before. I'm ordering a pack!

Regards,

Dave

I recently installed lights on my '05. I'm trying to do a write up to post here, but it will likely be weeks, if ever, before it gets posted. I did as Patriot mentioned, used posi-taps & posi-lock to hook the Eastern Beaver relay into existing. You should be able to just remove the 4 panels up top & not have to mess with anything else. I ran the wires up the brake lines, taking care to only zip tie where there was a bracket, not directly to the brake line. And of course, make sure you leave enough slack in the lines so when you turn the forks there is no binding.

zom

Lots of info HERE

I don't like Posi-locks, I've found that on the skinny 16-18 gauge wire on a lot of the Feej wiring they tend to just split the wire in half or break the copper strands inside. YMMV

FYI - most NAPA stores carry the posi-tap products. Might save you some shipping if you have one near.

Lots of info HERE

I don't like Posi-locks, I've found that on the skinny 16-18 gauge wire on a lot of the Feej wiring they tend to just split the wire in half or break the copper strands inside. YMMV
Wow... It'll take me a while to go through it all and understand it. Thanks for the link!

I followed the link to 'Hvccycle.com' and saw the connectors they sell. Which connector type do you prefer over the Posi-locks?

FYI - most NAPA stores carry the posi-tap products. Might save you some shipping if you have one near.
Thanks! My local NAPA dealer sees me quite often for old car parts. I'll see if they have them the next time I'm there.

Regards,

Dave

I recently installed lights on my '05. I'm trying to do a write up to post here, but it will likely be weeks, if ever, before it gets posted. I did as Patriot mentioned, used posi-taps & posi-lock to hook the Eastern Beaver relay into existing. You should be able to just remove the 4 panels up top & not have to mess with anything else. I ran the wires up the brake lines, taking care to only zip tie where there was a bracket, not directly to the brake line. And of course, make sure you leave enough slack in the lines so when you turn the forks there is no binding.

zom
Thanks, zom. I went to the Eastern Beaver site and found a nice write-up on installing an aux. lighting wiring harness. That will come in handy since I don't have any instructions for the PIAA lights / wiring harness that I'm installing.

Regards,

Dave

Lots of info HERE

Wow... It'll take me a while to go through it all and understand it. Thanks for the link!

I followed the link to 'Hvccycle.com' and saw the connectors they sell. Which connector type do you prefer over the Posi-locks?

Thanks! My local NAPA dealer sees me quite often for old car parts. I'll see if they have them the next time I'm there.

Regards,

Dave
I use the 34-8959 thru 34-8962 assembly and make a "Y" where I tie into the main harness. It's weather-proof and almost indestructable. Granted, it's a lot more work but the reliability is increased 100 fold. And I like to have that kind of confidence when I'm out on a cold, lonely night in the rain, 75 miles from nowhere

Clicky

just use the proper colored posi product for the gauge of wire

the red ones are fine on my bike on as small as 22 gauge wire for over 50k miles and 3 years

I dunno, I hate to admit I must have 25+ posi's all over my bike because of this:

4663991583_3a356f92d9.jpg

4597002453_32266c5984.jpg

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

3708483372_297efc8932.jpg

3708483376_d76db4c70f.jpg

3715490694_130cd89d99.jpg

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

3469318274_7c3cf1ea54.jpg

Mike - Are you seeing a doctor regarding your Farklitis? Holy crap! I've never seen so many farkles on one bike. But I have to say I'm impressed! I can't even identify all the gizmos in some of the pic's.

What ever you do don't take any wiring advice from Mike/Patriot. NONE NONE NONE.....Mods should delete any posts he makes on a wiring thread. He is a wiring menace. :lol:

Patriot, Did you upgrade your alternator to handle all the extra juice you are using?

I am curious because I thought the stock alternator was small on these bikes.

all the farkles draw near nothing

except for stock lighting, all other accessory lighting are leds

voltmeter drops a meezly two tenths of a volt when it's all on

and my Gen I has 20% less electron push than a Gen II