dropped my new fjr!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RaiderBill: do a Google Search on "fz1 mirrors fjrforum.com". There are many explanations and reasons for the FZ1 mirrors on the FJR. First and foremost is being able to see behind you. Second is their ability readily pivot when the FJR tips over. A good deal of that 6.5 hours of shop time is disassembling and reassembling the front end of your bike to replace the pot metal casting that holds the mirrors on the bike.

I'm thinking rather than a detent for the side stand maybe connect the return spring to the front of the side stand rather than rear facing side. this might cause the return spring to actually pull the side stand down when it crosses a point of no return. Was looking at the side stand on my '93 R1100RSL and the return spring actually performs this function in that past a certain point the return spring actually acts to pull the side stand down or forward and hold it fully deployed. The return spring actually performs a dual function and no need for a detent.

Oh, the worst thing about my drop is my wife has it on a GoPro video.

She has not shown the video to anyone yet. Not sure if she is being nice or she is embarrassed by my language in the video.

danh600 posted: ......... Not sure if she is being nice or she is embarrassed by my language in the video.
Or holding it as a future bargaining chip.
coolsmiley02.gif
Good luck with that, brother!

I feel for you, terrible feeling when the bike lays over. I dropped my 2008 back in 2014 at work, didn't deploy the kickstand fully. Slow motion to the ground, lifted it back

up by myself and proceeded to have a sore back the rest of the day.

It was totaled soon after, t-boned in a parking lot. Bought a lighter bike since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh hell, now you have the opportunity to just make up a great story in case anybody ever asks. Like it happened at a Track Day event or something. You would not believe the battle scars my 04 has. There is some Montana gravel still lodged up in mine somewhere, I don't guess I'll ever find it.

Oh hell, now you have the opportunity to just make up a great story in case anybody ever asks. Like it happened at a Track Day event or something. You would not believe the battle scars my 04 has. There is some Montana gravel still lodged up in mine somewhere, I don't guess I'll ever find it.
Or how you "had to lay 'er down" to avoid an accident. ;)

It happens! On my four corners trip back a few years, myself and partner on a Suzuki C90 decided to ride the Dragon! Being on the FJR I led and he followed. I passed a few slower than me bikes and ended up near the bottom where others stop and confer about how much fun they just had! High fives all around and smiles by everyone, till my bud arrives on his C90! He had fun too but was so tired from the exhilaration as he approached me he was too tired to squeeze the brakes and drove right into my side knocking me over! Everyone pitched in and helped me get the bike back on it's feet. I can laugh about it now but was a little annoyed at the time! No one was hurt and we do laugh about it now!

Well I have been waiting for insurance but they seem to be taking their time. I picked up my bike from the shop (to their annoyance) and have driven it a few times but hate not having a left mirror. Today I ordered the parts and am just going to fix it myself. Funny thing I ordered the parts for several hundred less than the quote. They had the left side plastic panel to be replaced and I could not find a scratch on it, also a new mirror and the mirror was fine except one chip at the bottom, and a new emblem for the side fairing which was 55 bucks. Got the plastics off tonight with mostly no trouble except the center nose plastic was giving me some grief very easy but right in the nose it would not come apart so it took some tin snips and got it off. I know, its not in the manual
rolleyes.gif
. Looks like it is screwed in place and when it get more things off I can get to that part. I have a disc that I printed the schematics out that I need but that still is not a step by step. I figure I have a week or so before parts to come in and between work and other things that should give me plenty of time to take my time and get the bike apart and ready to go back together. I took some pics but they turned out dark, I will try and post pics in the future.

The insurance company has had plenty of time to get back to you. Mine was insured with Progressive, and they got a quote, and I had parts ordered in just a couple of days.

I know you may have mentioned it earlier, but do you mind saying who you're insured with, so I'll know to avoid them in the future?

I hate to admit it, but I dropped my 2016 in a weird situation. I was taking the MSF course and one of the instructors had an FJR ('13). I brought my 2016 on the final day, when we take the tests. I had put it on the center stand after lunch. After passing the riding portion of the exam, I walked over to my bike and decided to take it off the center stand. I failed to deploy the side stand. I went to throw my leg over and it tipped. Only damage was a few small scratches on the left mirror, and the bottom of the T-Rex cages. The cages saved everything. I won't repair the scratches, they are a badge of honor (or humiliation).

SDave, I am glad the trex cages saved you a lot of grief. I bought frame sliders that are on the front and canyon cage rear bag protectors. Still waiting on parts to get it back together.

Hope you ordered all the foam. They do not come with the lower cowl. I didn't and it was a PITA to remove and reinstall on the new cowl.

dravnx, As for bodywork I only needed the center cowl that surrounds the headlights and inner plastic piece that surrounds the gauges (It was cracked also).

SDave1969 posted: I hate to admit it, but I dropped my 2016 in a weird situation. I was taking the MSF course and one of the instructors had an FJR ('13). I brought my 2016 on the final day, when we take the tests. I had put it on the center stand after lunch. After passing the riding portion of the exam, I walked over to my bike and decided to take it off the center stand. I failed to deploy the side stand. I went to throw my leg over and it tipped. Only damage was a few small scratches on the left mirror, and the bottom of the T-Rex cages. The cages saved everything. I won't repair the scratches, they are a badge of honor (or humiliation).
Next time, try my newest favorite thing: Bike's on the center stand. Straddle and start her up. Without placing your feet on the ground ....... shift into first gear, rock her forward onto her tires, release the clutch, and drive away.

It's not as hard as it sounds.

Latest posts