Earphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the trick for ear buds not pulling out of your ears on a tight fitting helmet is to get a set that you can't pull out that way. kind of like These
Those would be even worse. The helmet would catch that top piece and pull it down....
not those exact ones. those were a hidious example, sorry. i had a set of Sony's that had the behind-the-ear clip that worked great. any pull on the wire, just pulled on the clip. but that's just my humble oppinion. YMMV...

P.
WTF??? "Hey dude...Buy this motorcycle. It's really cool. It hauls ass, handles well, is very reliable, and is very inexpensive. Well, not that motorcycle I just showed you, but a motorcycle out there that matches that description."

Dork!

I've been using Sony MDR-EX71's for about ten years now. They are inexpensive, they deaden wind noise, are low profile, and sound good enough for motorcycle use.

I used them as sold for two or three years then had custom ear molds made at the motorcycle show and they work even better.

Recommended!

Sony MDR-EX71 on Amazon

or $19 w/free shipping on eBay

clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what you want...

click here for the s-plug ear phones

The key thing about these, for us motorcyclists, is that they are make to be inserted all the way into the ear canal. They don't stick out. The attaching wire is *made* to be used to pull them out. It's very strong.

The other important aspect is that they do as good or even better of a job of deadening noise than do foam ear plugs. This way the music can be off and it's just like wearing regular ear plugs.

I've tried Ety's, custom plugs, etc, but these have been the best for me so far. I broke mine in by plugging in the mp3 player and turning volume up a little more then 3/4 and let them play for 7 or 8 hours (not on my head of course :) They sound great.
What's the difference between the one and two speaker models (yea, one has one speaker, the other has two...duh!) I mean seriously, is it just a difference in the sound quality? Does it make that much of a difference on a bike? Is the two speaker model bigger than the one speaker model?

This is what you want...

The key thing about these, for us motorcyclists, is that they are make to be inserted all the way into the ear canal. They don't stick out. The attaching wire is *made* to be used to pull them out. It's very strong.

The other important aspect is that they do as good or even better of a job of deadening noise than do foam ear plugs. This way the music can be off and it's just like wearing regular ear plugs.

I've tried Ety's, custom plugs, etc, but these have been the best for me so far. I broke mine in by plugging in the mp3 player and turning volume up a little more then 3/4 and let them play for 7 or 8 hours (not on my head of course :) They sound great.
What's the difference between the one and two speaker models (yea, one has one speaker, the other has two...duh!) I mean seriously, is it just a difference in the sound quality? Does it make that much of a difference on a bike? Is the two speaker model bigger than the one speaker model?
From what I've read, the two speaker deal has much better sound, but is another 'hundred bucks. I donno if they sound so much better that the price increase is worth the difference on a motorcycle. I think my Skull Candy buds sound pretty good, and I'm betting they are only one speaker. The second speaker is like adding additional speakers to your home system to better hear the range of music...Like woofers/tweeters/mid-range. Not sure which on the second set increases. This is a very subjective question and probably really depends on the sound quality of the single speaker application.

I have not seen anything that indicates the two speaker version is any bigger than the single speaker version.

From what I've read, the two speaker deal has much better sound, but is another 'hundred bucks. I donno if they sound so much better that the price increase is worth the difference on a motorcycle. I think my Skull Candy buds sound pretty good, and I'm betting they are only one speaker. The second speaker is like adding additional speakers to your home system to better hear the range of music...Like woofers/tweeters/mid-range. Not sure which on the second set increases. This is a very subjective question and probably really depends on the sound quality of the single speaker application.

I have not seen anything that indicates the two speaker version is any bigger than the single speaker version.
Damn! A sensible reply!! Am I on the right forum? Yep, just checked above. And it is FRIDAY!!

Thanks A.J.!! I think I'm going for the one speaker model

Damn! A sensible reply!! Am I on the right forum? Yep, just checked above. And it is FRIDAY!!

Thanks A.J.!! I think I'm going for the one speaker model
Sorry man, didn't mean to throw you off. You want me to add something degrading about Don's sorry sex life, or are you good?

Nope, I'm good! Got the answer I needed without having to swim thru a couple of pages of sheep jokes (with pictures no less!) :D

I'm looking for earbuds to use with my Galaxy S. When travelling by train I use Sennheiser CX-300,which are excellent,

but can't be used under my helmet(Arai Viper).One recommendation was Skull Candy Ink'd, which give good isolation,but

when I put on the Arai,it pulls them out of my ears. Another recommendation is Etymotic mc5s,which seem to stick out

a bit too far from the ear. I need a low-profile earbud which won't pull out when I put on the helmet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
wwwZagg.com

Well, now that you've figured out which earbuds to buy, let's address the other problem you will have.....ripping them out of your ears every time you put on or take off your helmet. Get one of those cloth beanies (no propeller necessary). One brand is called Silkies. No, I don't think they make underwear. Put the earbuds in, put on the beanie, then the helmet. It's like putting it on with a shoehorn, the earbuds stay in place. It also makes the helmet more comfortable and keeps it clean. When the beanie gets grungie, just throw it in the wash.

Well, now that you've figured out which earbuds to buy, let's address the other problem you will have.....ripping them out of your ears every time you put on or take off your helmet. Get one of those cloth beanies (no propeller necessary). One brand is called Silkies. No, I don't think they make underwear. Put the earbuds in, put on the beanie, then the helmet. It's like putting it on with a shoehorn, the earbuds stay in place. It also makes the helmet more comfortable and keeps it clean. When the beanie gets grungie, just throw it in the wash.
Dang...I've never thought of using one of those to keep my buds in when I pull my helmet off.

That's a good suggestion, and I'm gonna give it a try. I'll report back after I get a beanie and get some miles on it and the buds. We're going on a ride tomorrow, so I'll hit CycleGear in the morning to see if I find something close.

+1 on the Klipsch S4. Using with my Sena SMH10. These sound really good and the fit is excellent. I find these to be very comfortable and block the wind well.
Klipsch%20Image%20S4.gif

Dang...I've never thought of using one of those to keep my buds in when I pull my helmet off.

That's a good suggestion, and I'm gonna give it a try. I'll report back after I get a beanie and get some miles on it and the buds. We're going on a ride tomorrow, so I'll hit CycleGear in the morning to see if I find something close.
Have a nice ride! Beanie modeling courtesy of Friday posting (apologies to Galaxy Blue).

HRZbeanie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to this thread I am spending more money again. I just bought some Klipsch Image S4 Noise-Isolating earbugs on fleeBay for $57. See I do miss my tunes from time to time.
I finally got to try my Klipsch Image S4. Note I have an Aria Quantum II bucket. It fits tight ( I like it that way :D ) and the ear pockets are small. Even my sunglasses bother my head sometimes.

I am happy to report I wore the Klipsch Image S4 for 5 hours nearly no pain. This is quite outstanding given my current bucket. Much better than the Ety I used to have or the crummy sounding Skull Candy's.

I had to go up to the largest silicon bud. They isolated external noise well. I had to turn up the sound to next max to hear them. An no my hearing is not impaired. Max volume on these is rather low - I was at 7/8 volume on my Ipod 4th Gen. Anybody who is hearing impaired or likes their music very loud may be disappointed.

I am in the market for a new flip up bucket so I can take more photos with my 35mm camera. Increasing the ear pocket size is a good excuse to spend $$.

This is what you want...

sorry about that, just looked at this thread again. I have the single speaker and can assure, with proper break in, most people wouldn't be disappointed in the sound.

to break speakers like these in, I put them on about 3/4 volume and left them alone for about 6 or 7 hours. It really did seem to help. I've not listened to the dual speaker ones but have no desire to either. We're just not in an "audiophile" environment, with the bike motor and all.

they really are an excellent product, I'm very happy with them.

Been looking around for a great set of earphones myself. My nephew told me to check these out https://1964ears.com/index.html he told me to get the quad drivers...Said they are SICK. He is a professional musician so I guess he knows his stuff. They are way pricy though but definitely look like they would be comfortable in a helmet.