Easy, cheap hydration system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I took a small 300 mile run from the house through Georgia this weekend. Temps were running around 97 with HIGH humidity (thunderstorms everyplace). I have a camelback for bike ridding but did not want the weight on my back for the day. I decided to remove the bladder from the pack and stick it in my tank bag. It worked like a charm. I had easy access to the tube that I could work with one hand, fit the end up under the FF helmet and drink all I want. Then tuck the tube back into the tank bag. Simple and convenient.

Walmart has a full pack for $19.95. Just pull out the bladder. This seems to be the cheapest I could find as most bladders cost more than this pack.

V-stream

I was caught in several HEAVY downpoors and chose not to pull out the rain gear as I was through most in about 10 minutes or so (plus I was freaking hot). I tried to stay above 60mph and tuck in behind the shield to stay dry. This was hard to do as visibility was cut down greatly with drops the size of half dollars falling. One time I thought it was hailing, cause the drops were so big. For the most part I stayed mostly dry. My hands and knees were wet, a little on the arms, but my chest and back were pretty good if you consider the force of (some) the thunderstorms. In tucking down and in I had to lift my neck to see which exposed it to the Gen 2 vent in the dash. A water mist was comming through that I could see and feel on my neck, In the heavier storms. I have the N-line shelf for my GPS and both were wet from mist spray. In the lighter rain I was pretty dry all over.

To add a small ride report as long as I am typing, Roanoake, Al Has a cool looking old church. wanted to take a piccy but raining too hard,

Ashland, has a cool courthouse (see above). And the "Friendly Corner" convenient store in Sylacauga, sucks moist ass cheese. They don't have "public" restrooms at the FRIENDLY Corner. So I told the lady inside I was going to go piss on her tree, and I did :fuck:

I did stop to take a pic on Hwy 9 In the Talledega National Forest just South of the Friendly Corner. The temps would run from 97 before the storms to 72 in the storms then back up to 97. It had just finished raining and the mist was rising off the road about 4 feet. It looked like a thick fog on the roadway. The road was straight through a valley for mile or 2 so you could see a white line cutting through the trees. BUT all I had was my phone camera. I took 3 pics. The resolution was so bad when I downloaded them that I deleted them :angry:

I ALMOST pulled a Warchild while taking the pics. I had pulled off the road on to a small gravel area to take the pics. As I was standing right next to the bike about to get back on, The bike (sidestand) started sinking in the dirt. (DUH - stupid it just rained HARD, the ground is soft. ) The bike fell into my thigh and I was able to save it. Whew.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the "Freindly Corner" convenient store in Sylacauga, sucks moist ass cheese. They don't have "public" restrooms at the FREINDLY Corner. So I told the lady inside I was going to go piss on her tree, and I did :fuck:
And I thought only CT and MA were the only states that have gas stations without restrooms. It should be a law, if you sell gas you must provide a rest room. (Or risk getting your trees "watered")

I took a small 300 mile run from the house through Georgia this weekend. Temps were running around 97 with HIGH humidity (thunderstorms everyplace). I have a camelback for bike ridding but did not want the weight on my back for the day. I decided to remove the bladder from the pack and stick it in my tank bag. It worked like a charm. I had easy access to the tube that I could work with one hand, fit the end up under the FF helmet and drink all I want. Then tuck the tube back into the tank bag. Simple and convenient.
Walmart has a full pack for $19.95. Just pull out the bladder. This seems to be the cheapest I could find as most bladders cost more than this pack.

why did you remove the bladder from the outer part? doesn't the outer part provide a bit of insulating to keep the water colder longer, or is that negligible?

wow, great find, sure got my juices flowing...

0003501186300_215X215.jpg

why did you remove the bladder from the outer part? doesn't the outer part provide a bit of insulating to keep the water colder longer, or is that negligible?
Because without all the "outer" mesh and shoulder harness, it takes less room in the tankbag and will conform to any odd shape. If you're worried about insulation, I used to wrap mine with an old kitchen towel...and it absorbs condensation as I would fill mine with ice cubes before adding the water. It gets a tad warm on the left coast, too.

Camelback also makes a style designed to "lace" or "net" onto a backpack (IIRC, purchased at a "sports-in-a-box" place), so there is only an insulating outer cover that works pretty well. AND, I've used a child-size 1 qt. for day rides where I knew I could find places to refill it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Piss on her tree, I woulda pissed on the store.

Illinois, if you run a buisness thats open to the public, you must provide facilities. I know one place where the facilities have been broken for over a year, but they are there.

Fencer, sounds like ya had fun. Next time you mosey into Ga, let me know, might be able to meet up with ya somewhere. Also, thanks for the tip on the camel back. I wasn't aware that wally-world was carring such things these days. Might just have to stop by one of the 4 I pass on the way home and grab one.

As for the restroom deal. All to many places that are like that.

Come into Georgia and you didn't call? :angry:

See if you get a Christmas card this year....

JW

I have one that I use in my tank bag as well... It holds two liters. I can drain it on my mountain bike on a ride, but haven't emptied it on the FJR.

Regarding the bladder. I have a Camelbac "Un-bottle" which is a bladder inside of an insulated bag and that's it. No straps etc. as it is designed up be used inside a backback, fanny pack or, hey even a tankbag.

I have the 1.5 or 2 liter (forget which). Works great holds ice nearly all day to keep your drinks cold and works great. I leave the hose hang out of the bag and attached the "bite valve" to a ID badge belt rewinder thingy so that the hose isn't dangling around when not being used.

Bought mine on Flea-bay some time ago, new for about $27 or so shipped.

Enjoy!

Glad the V worked in the wet for ya. I swapped back to stock before the wet season to keep cooler. Cant wait to get back to the mountains! Skyways jug holder is working well here.