EGR Valve ? For The Wrench Heads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby one

Reaction score
My 2001 GMC 5.3 liter, Automatic, 4x4 Z-71 ext cab check engine light went on. I had it checked by a dealer while I was having the recalled tailgate straps replaced. Luckly, they did the check for free assuming that I was going to have them fix it. To fix the total is $300.0. EGR valve is $200.00 plus $100.00 labor. My question is how easy is it to do yourself? One guy (at the dealer) told me that it is just a simple plug in item and could not elaborate due to big brother listening.

What do you think? Is it an easy fix? Does anyone have any good discount auto connections?

If I did do the fix myself I realize that another garage would probably have to plug in and reset the computer to clear the error.

What else?

Thanks.

My 2001 GMC 5.3 liter, Automatic, 4x4 Z-71 ext cab check engine light went on. I had it checked by a dealer while I was having the recalled tailgate straps replaced. Luckly, they did the check for free assuming that I was going to have them fix it. To fix the total is $300.0. EGR valve is $200.00 plus $100.00 labor. My question is how easy is it to do yourself? One guy (at the dealer) told me that it is just a simple plug in item and could not elaborate due to big brother listening. What do you think? Is it an easy fix? Does anyone have any good discount auto connections?

If I did do the fix myself I realize that another garage would probably have to plug in and reset the computer to clear the error.

What else?

Thanks.
You may have to move a few things, but generally there are only two or three bolts holding the EGRs on. If you are a reasonably decent shade tree mechanic, then you should ne able do it yourself.

Rick

If they're talking plug in, then they're not talking the valve itself, but the EGR solenoid, which is very simple, a vac line, an electrical plug, and a few screws. Disconnect the battery for a half hour to clear the code, though newer stuff needs a scanner to clear, not sure on yours. The valve itself can be a bitch, since it is exposed to exhaust heat, the bolts can make removal a religous experience, and often require the utmost care in removal lest one break and make the job worse yet. If I recall, most GM EGR's have an integral solenoid, so I'm not sure where they're coming from. A visit to a parts counter will tell you if the solenoid is serviced seperately, and the truth shall set you free.

Last edited by a moderator:
egr has the 5yr/50k emmisions warranty. if you fall under that fix is free

egr has the 5yr/50k emmisions warranty. if you fall under that fix is free
Yeah and if you live in California it is extended even longer.

All emission parts are warranted even after the mfg warranty is done.

My Jaguar XJR had both of its exhaust manifolds, a catalytic converter replaced because of the Cali/Federal emission warranty.

$3500 in parts replaced for free!

Gotta love it.

XJRGUY

I agree with Jestal and would like to add that I see a lot of passages beneath the EGR in the intake manifold completely stopped up with carbon.

This will also set the check engine light and a code for "low EGR flow".

On some engines the intake manifold must be removed to clean out all these carbon deposits, however I have had some success and saved time using a rifle barrel brush and spray carburetor cleaner.

RogerB in eastern Tennessee

Now will somebody please tell me how to get the seat off this damn 04 Honda ST! :hyper:

Latest posts